ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Paddystarni » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:42 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:32 pm
Paddystarni wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 am
Well I’ve received a perfunctory email today saying my children’s certificates are being printed but no “congratulations”.. slightly saddened by the lack of celebration but i’m over the moon. Things seem to be speeding up now so good luck to all, hope you hear something back soon

FBR Timeline

Application submitted: 03/09/22
Documents sent: 23/02/23
Application received: 20/03/23
Address confirmation: 9/12/23
Address confirmed 14/12/23
Confirmation certificates are being printed 15/12/23
CONGRATS!

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:46 pm

TTYW wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:13 pm
TTYW wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:03 pm
Hi everyone. I just got my congrats email so thought I’d add my timescales which will hopefully help someone.

Application submitted online - 31/08/2022
Documents sent: 23/09/22
Documents received: 03/10/22
Additional documents request: 15/07/23
Additional documents sent: 18/09/23
Address check: 22/11/23
Address confirmation sent via email: 25/11/23
Congratulations email: 13/12/23

Thanks to you all for your advice and help on this forum. Now I’m just waiting for the certificate and then passport application time. Does anyone have a good resource for passport applications and information on whether we can apply with photocopies confirmed by our witness of our current passports instead of sending the originals?

NB. the additional documents were a divorce certificate from my grandparents first marriage through which I claim descent (they later remarried).
As an update to this, my certificate arrived today 18/12/23. Thanks to everyone for the help and if anyone can post a link to a good resource for full details of how to apply for a passport I would appreciate it.

WOW ! 5 days after the congrats email! Did you get the email
About it being printed and a tracking number? My email said I must wait for this in the next 2-4 weeks

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 am

Paddystarni wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:41 pm
meself2 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:52 pm
lalleshwari wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 pm
Both his paternal grandparents were born in Ireland however he is applying through his grandfather, does he still need to supply marriage certificates for his grandparents and his parents?
The more documents you provide, the better, as far as I've heard. FBR folks can give better advice.
lalleshwari wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 pm
am I correct in thinking she is not entitled to Irish citizenship at all?
Yep. Parent had to be on FBR before the child was born, since grandfather is the furthest you can go and for the child it'll be a great grandfather, so can't claim.

So now that my children are on the FBR, does that mean their future children will be eligible?
Yes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

TTYW
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTYW » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:44 pm

Paddystarni wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:46 pm
TTYW wrote:
TTYW wrote:
Hi everyone. I just got my congrats email so thought I’d add my timescales which will hopefully help someone.

Thanks to you all for your advice and help on this forum. Now I’m just waiting for the certificate and then passport application time. Does anyone have a good resource for passport applications and information on whether we can apply with photocopies confirmed by our witness of our current passports instead of sending the originals?

NB. the additional documents were a divorce certificate from my grandparents first marriage through which I claim descent (they later remarried).
As an update to this, my certificate arrived today 18/12/23. Thanks to everyone for the help and if anyone can post a link to a good resource for full details of how to apply for a passport I would appreciate it.

About it being printed and a tracking number? My email said I must wait for this in the next 2-4 weeks
I did not, and yeah was a quick turnaround although my application was long due to needing to get another document.

huw-mungus
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by huw-mungus » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:14 pm

Hello folks,

I am preparing my FBR application, on the basis of an Irish-born grandparent, for submission in early 2024.

I have been collecting the documents necessary for the application, and I have noticed discrepancies relating to my Irish-born grandparent's middle name and birthday. Below is an illustration of said discrepancies (names are anonymised to protect privacy).

Certified copy of long-form birth certificate of Irish-born grandparent:

Name: Christopher John (surname assumed by father)
D.O.B: 21-12-1936
Place of Birth: Moate, Co. Westmeath
Father's name: Gavin Murphy

Certified copy of U.K. marriage certificate of Irish-born grandparent.

Name: Christopher Murphy (middle name is not listed)
Wife: Sarah Jones
Father of husband: Gavin Murphy

Certified copy of U.K. death certificate of Irish-born grandparent.

Name: Christopher "Stephen" Murphy (discrepancy: Stephen).
D.O.B: 22-12-1936 (discrepancy: 22 - meant to be 21).
Place of Birth: Irish Republic
Wife: Sarah Murphy

The discrepancy in middle name, Stephen, is present on my father's U.K. birth cert also. On balance, I believe the change in middle name is either my grandfather's confirmation name (which he decided to use instead of his given middle name) or my uncle's middle name mistaken for my grandfather's (my uncle was his junior).

I anticipate being asked to clarify the middle name discrepancy. In the event of the middle name not being clarified through a confirmation certificate, I am not too sure how to proceed. Did any of you experience anything similar and if so, how did you navigate this? Clarity/your own experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you for your patience whilst reading.

Eirinn go Brach

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:04 pm

huw-mungus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:14 pm
With names, in my experience, it didnt matter, I dont know about dates though. My Irish granparents first and last name was on their birth & death certificate, But first middle and last name was on marriage certificate & my parents birth certificate.
My parents first and last name is on their birth certificate but on their marriage certificate & on my birth certificate it has their first middle and last name.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:11 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:04 pm
huw-mungus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:14 pm
With names, in my experience, it didnt matter, I dont know about dates though. My Irish granparents first and last name was on their birth & death certificate, But first middle and last name was on marriage certificate & my parents birth certificate.
My parents first and last name is on their birth certificate but on their marriage certificate & on my birth certificate it has their first middle and last name.
Middle name different on death certificate is not a big deal. They are used to slight variations on names and dates at the FBR offices. Some people even go by a middle by name their whole life & it's by whoever fills out a death certificates information. I wouldn't worry about this deviation.
Jgclancy

huw-mungus
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by huw-mungus » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:31 pm

Thank for you the timely responses, gentleman. Both are much appreciated.

Aside from those two discrepancies, I feel my path to citizenship is rather straightforward.

Do you think the DFA will ask for clarification and if so, what would you do, if you were in my position?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:39 am

huw-mungus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:31 pm

Aside from those two discrepancies, I feel my path to citizenship is rather straightforward.

Do you think the DFA will ask for clarification and if so, what would you do, if you were in my position?
You can always include a notarized letter explaining the variances. Otherwise, just wait and see.

Jgclancy

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:47 am

huw-mungus wrote:

I would wait and see personally - less is more with these things.

They deal with things like this all the time, and they probably have a much better understanding of the discrepancies in naming conventions over the years than we will ever have. Worst case, they ask you to comment on it - but you're still in line anyway.

I was really worried about mine because my Grandfather seemed to be registered as 'F' for Female in place of 'M' for Male - I had no explanation for this, but it was never even questioned. I also had missing middle names all over the place, was no problem.

huw-mungus
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by huw-mungus » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:50 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:47 am
huw-mungus wrote:

They deal with things like this all the time, and they probably have a much better understanding of the discrepancies in naming conventions over the years than we will ever have. Worst case, they ask you to comment on it - but you're still in line anyway.

I was really worried about mine because my Grandfather seemed to be registered as 'F' for Female in place of 'M' for Male - I had no explanation for this, but it was never even questioned. I also had missing middle names all over the place, was no problem.
Thank you, folks. I am feeling reassured. I’ll be sure to post my application’s progress at some point in the new year. Have an excellent Christmas!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:17 pm

huw-mungus wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:50 pm
duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:47 am
huw-mungus wrote:

Thank you, folks. I am feeling reassured. I’ll be sure to post my application’s progress at some point in the new year. Have an excellent Christmas!
Happy holidays & have a good New Years Eve.
Jgclancy

Tell32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Tell32 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:13 pm

Does anyone from the US know how exactly to notarize or sign & witness the back of the 2 photos? I'm using the 2x2 US passport photo dimensions from Walgreens. Should I have the notary sign the back instead of stamping it? And do I just have them write in a small font? There isn't exactly a lot of room to write a full sentence... Probably enough room to just sign a name.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:10 am

Tell32 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:13 pm
Does anyone from the US know how exactly to notarize or sign & witness the back of the 2 photos? I'm using the 2x2 US passport photo dimensions from Walgreens. Should I have the notary sign the back instead of stamping it? And do I just have them write in a small font? There isn't exactly a lot of room to write a full sentence... Probably enough room to just sign a name.
First, you need to get EU sized passport photos. Not 2 x 2 US size.
You just need the witness to sign & date 2 of the photos. This is done at same time the witness sees you sign application.Dates should all be the same.

In the US we don't have the stamps they mention. Just get the witness to add a business card OR a letter written with company info. The letter should have info from their occupation.

Basic example: I, witness name, witnessed the applicant sign and date the application. I have known the applicant for ___ years & I am not related. Then add info on occupation that qualifies to be a witness.

The application & photos do not need to be notarized. The witness does have to notarize the applicants ID photocopy. Date can differ from app & photos
Photocopy with statement below: I, witness name, attest that this is a true photocopy of the applicants , applicant's name, passport. Signed, Dated & Notary stamp at bottom

Jgclancy

Tell32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Tell32 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:10 am
Tell32 wrote:
You just need the witness to sign & date 2 of the photos. This is done at same time the witness sees you sign application.Dates should all be the same.

In the US we don't have the stamps they mention. Just get the witness to add a business card OR a letter written with company info. The letter should have info from their occupation.

Basic example: I, witness name, witnessed the applicant sign and date the application. I have known the applicant for ___ years & I am not related. Then add info on occupation that qualifies to be a witness.

The application & photos do not need to be notarized. The witness does have to notarize the applicants ID photocopy. Date can differ from app & photos
Photocopy with statement below: I, witness name, attest that this is a true photocopy of the applicants , applicant's name, passport. Signed, Dated & Notary stamp at bottom

Jgclancy
Thanks for the help. So the witness needs to be someone who's a state notary public for certifying the photocopy of the IDs? but only needs to sign & date the 2 photos of myself and then the application. (and include the business card) I know my local credit union has free Notary services, I was planning on going to the manager of said credit union for the witness, but looks like its better to go to the notary public of the credit union.

Tell32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Tell32 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:50 pm

It seems the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs has updated their website.
Old website: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

New website that the old one redirects you to: https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/citizensh ... 0applicant

When I go to click the button "Begin your online Foreign Births Registration application" on the new website it links to this url: https://fbr.dfa.ie/ (It looks like its the same form as before)

But that fbr.dfa.ie site where you actually fill out the application & pay is being extremely unresponsive for me. It took 5 minutes to load after only being shown a white screen. Where as before this new website transition, it was fine. Anyone else getting this problem? It's kinda working for me now that its loaded. I'm only a bit worried I'll run into a problem when trying to pay. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Tell32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Tell32 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:09 am

Tell32 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:50 pm
I'm sure it'll be fine.
Famous last words. I got this error page after printing off the application and submitting the payment. The card I used was charged the 278 euros. Does anyone remember what the webpage looked like after they submitted the payment? As in, what was I supposed to see rather than this error page.

In any case I'm going to assume I'm fine since I was charged the $$, and mail in my application here shortly. But I'll also add a statement saying I got this error page after paying, and that I was charged. Just in case it didn't go through or something.

EDIT: Never mind. I refreshed the page, and after a long while, it finally gave a normal: "Thank you for submitting your application. Your payment has been successful."

I look forward to tracking the dates of my application with you all :)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:30 pm

Tell32 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Tell32 wrote:

Jgclancy
Thanks for the help. So the witness needs to be someone who's a state notary public for certifying the photocopy of the IDs? but only needs to sign & date the 2 photos of myself and then the application. (and include the business card) I know my local credit union has free Notary services, I was planning on going to the manager of said credit union for the witness, but looks like its better to go to the notary public of the credit union.
No. There is a list of people that can be witnesses besides a notary public. Being a notary public has nothing to do with being the witness. If you choose a notary public as your witness that is fine. However, most likely he needs to have a different notary public stamp the applicant ID photocopy.
A notary public CANNOT notarize their own signature.

So..to be clear. Anyone on the list of witnesses can sign & date the application plus the photos when you sign and date the application. Dates must be the same. If no stamp ( this stamp is a European thing - it dies not mean notarize) then witness includes a business card OR a letter with company information stating how they can be a witness/ are not related to you & how they know you. Best to notarize this letter too.
Whoever the witness is - teacher, notary public, police officer etc - then has to get your ID photocopy notarized . The date can differ.
IF your witness is a notary public the witness gets a different notary public to stamp his signature on the applicant ID.

Hope this makes it clear.

Jgclancy

Tell32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Tell32 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:21 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:30 pm
Tell32 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Tell32 wrote:

Jgclancy
No. There is a list of people that can be witnesses besides a notary public. Being a notary public has nothing to do with being the witness. If you choose a notary public as your witness that is fine. However, most likely he needs to have a different notary public stamp the applicant ID photocopy.
A notary public CANNOT notarize their own signature.

So..to be clear. Anyone on the list of witnesses can sign & date the application plus the photos when you sign and date the application. Dates must be the same. If no stamp ( this stamp is a European thing - it dies not mean notarize) then witness includes a business card OR a letter with company information stating how they can be a witness/ are not related to you & how they know you. Best to notarize this letter too.
Whoever the witness is - teacher, notary public, police officer etc - then has to get your ID photocopy notarized . The date can differ.
IF your witness is a notary public the witness gets a different notary public to stamp his signature on the applicant ID.

Hope this makes it clear.

Jgclancy
Yes that makes sense, thanks for the clarification and help.

jro86
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by jro86 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:49 pm

Long time lurker, here's my timeline:

Online application: 14/8/22
I didn't send the documents until March 23.
Application received: 27/3/23
Address check ("CLARIFICATION REQUIRED"): 14/11/23

Haven't heard anything since, though I have seen somebody else mention they never got the congratulations email, and others that have had address checks after mine have already got their congratulations email. I am in Australia so it can take a good 3-4 weeks for mail to get here from Ireland, unless they use express post, which I doubt. I may give them a call on Wednesday when the offices are open to see if I have been added yet.

HarleyQ
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by HarleyQ » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:20 pm

Woohoo! Just got the congratulations email so I am excited to update the spreadsheet and the forum!

My application is through my irish born grandfather who adopted my mother.

I originally did a joint application with my sister and there was a bit of a delay getting someone to witness everything (honestly might just pay a solicitor or something for the passports!!)

Application Data HarleyQ: 14th October 2021
Application Data Sister: 23rd February 2022
Documents Confirmed: 25th August 2022
Request for additional documents: 11th May 2023
Received additional documents: 11th August 2023
Address Check: 22nd November 2023
Congratulations Email: 28th December 2023

Needed some additional information from the courts regarding my mothers adoption. Had a bit of a runaround with the courts who were telling me to get this off the general register office and whereas the GRO said that the courts had to request it from them. In the end the documents were a bit too old to send copies so I had to wait for originals to be sent. I cant wait to update with the cert received date and then onto the passport!! There were some hoops I had to jump through with the adoption part - i understand that its a sensitive topic but sometimes when requesting information or hunting it down it did feel like people were passing me through different departments until I got to a sympathetic voice who sounded like they were trained to deal with the sensitive stuff - bless them!!

Happy to start 2024 on the FBR!!! :D :D

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:16 pm

HarleyQ wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:20 pm
Woohoo! Just got the congratulations email so I am excited to update the spreadsheet and the forum!

My application is through my irish born grandfather who adopted my mother.

I originally did a joint application with my sister and there was a bit of a delay getting someone to witness everything (honestly might just pay a solicitor or something for the passports!!)

Application Data HarleyQ: 14th October 2021
Application Data Sister: 23rd February 2022
Documents Confirmed: 25th August 2022
Request for additional documents: 11th May 2023
Received additional documents: 11th August 2023
Address Check: 22nd November 2023
Congratulations Email: 28th December 2023

Needed some additional information from the courts regarding my mothers adoption. Had a bit of a runaround with the courts who were telling me to get this off the general register office and whereas the GRO said that the courts had to request it from them. In the end the documents were a bit too old to send copies so I had to wait for originals to be sent. I cant wait to update with the cert received date and then onto the passport!! There were some hoops I had to jump through with the adoption part - i understand that its a sensitive topic but sometimes when requesting information or hunting it down it did feel like people were passing me through different departments until I got to a sympathetic voice who sounded like they were trained to deal with the sensitive stuff - bless them!!

Happy to start 2024 on the FBR!!! :D :D

Where is the spreadsheet?

Camac11
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Camac11 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:48 pm

Paddystarni wrote:
TTYW wrote:
TTYW wrote:

Paddy, you received an email about approval and then an estimate of 2-4 weeks until printing you mean? I’ve seen such variation in printing time (on the Facebook page I saw someone was given an 6-8 week timeline for printing and posting!) please update when yours is posted so we know where it’s at!

Mark B
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mark B » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:25 pm

First post - today is the day the congrats email landed :D

Timeline:-

Application submitted online - 25/01/2023
Documents received: 15/03/23 (posted around 3 weeks before)
Address check: 05/12/23
Address confirmation sent via email: 05/12/23
Congratulations email: 03/01/24

The congrats email goes on to say my certificate has been printed and posted

A huge thanks to those on here for the valuable information and insight to the FBR process and the best of luck to those still on their FBR journey

Mark B

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:15 pm

Camac11 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:48 pm
Paddystarni wrote:
TTYW wrote:
TTYW wrote:

Paddy, you received an email about approval and then an estimate of 2-4 weeks until printing you mean? I’ve seen such variation in printing time (on the Facebook page I saw someone was given an 6-8 week timeline for printing and posting!) please update when yours is posted so we know where it’s at!
Will do.. nothing yet! Keep checking the tracking number provided but it’s not active yet.

This was the email received on 15/12/13 a day after I sent her my proof of address.

Your children’s applications have been approved and will move on to the printing section. This could take 2 to 4 weeks for the certificates to be printed. You will be notified by the printing section so keep an eye on your email.

The certificates will be printed and sent out to you in the following Registered Post envelope with the tracking number “…”. When the printing section print your certs you will be notified by email and then your certificates should be posted out to you within a couple of days. You will then be able to track it on the following website – www.anpost.ie. All the documents you submitted will also be returned to you in the same envelope.
Kind Regards
Ciara