ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name Change

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Yk_Krsh
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Name Change

Post by Yk_Krsh » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:07 pm

Hey guys,

has anyone changed their name right after getting a naturalisation certificate? I looked it up and it looks straightforward (naturalisation certificate -> changing the name -> applying for a passport) but my solicitor said that I need to get an Irish passport first and then change my name by deed poll and then wait 2 years and only then I'm able to change it in an Irish passport. Is it like that?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Name Change

Post by meself2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:15 pm

If you have documentation like official letters dated 2 years back (so you can prove proof of usage), you should be able to apply for Irish passport with a new name based on proof of usage, I'm not sure; my advice is to ask in the webchat.
You might have to get a passport and apply for a new one with proof of new name, though.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:18 pm

Yk_Krsh wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:07 pm
Hey guys,

has anyone changed their name right after getting a naturalisation certificate? I looked it up and it looks straightforward (naturalisation certificate -> changing the name -> applying for a passport) but my solicitor said that I need to get an Irish passport first and then change my name by deed poll and then wait 2 years and only then I'm able to change it in an Irish passport. Is it like that?
I think it is going to depend on why you are changing your name. For instance, name change because of marriage is different to a personal choice to change a name. Citizens Information suggests DFA doesn’t accept a deed poll change of name for passports but instead requires two years of evidence that you are operating under the new name. However DFA will accept marriage cert as evidence of new name immediately.

For more information here you’d need to explain why you are changing your name, why your research has suggested your method and what evidence your solicitor is relying on to make any kind of meaningful assessment.

RCCar
Belarus

Post by RCCar » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:58 pm

You are Ukrainian, right?
If you want change Ukrainian spelling -> International Like Andrii - Andrew, just retranslate your birth certificate and ask them put the name you want.

My Ukrainian friends did exactly like that, do it before passport.

Yk_Krsh
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by Yk_Krsh » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 am

RCCar wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:58 pm
You are Ukrainian, right?
If you want change Ukrainian spelling -> International Like Andrii - Andrew, just retranslate your birth certificate and ask them put the name you want.

My Ukrainian friends did exactly like that, do it before passport.
Yes, thank you. I've opened a chat with their support and they confirmed that if I can provide some old documents with another version of my name, I can do it.