ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation certificate post ceremony timeframe

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alwaysdilemma
Newly Registered
India

Re: Naturalisation certificate post ceremony timeframe

Post by alwaysdilemma » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:30 am

Has anyone received certificate yet from the 18th Dec ceremony? Thank you

sv23367

Post by sv23367 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:32 am

it will definitely take more time with Christmas and New year holidays. people can expect the certificates from the week of Jan 08th (minimum)

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:19 pm

alwaysdilemma wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:30 am
Based on the last few ceremonies, the beginning of February is when you'll see the first significant numbers receiving certs. There will be a lot of people who don't receive them before late April. I'd be very, very surprised if any real numbers of people - or indeed any at all, see them before Christmas.

Bluebird71
Ireland

Post by Bluebird71 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:49 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:19 pm
alwaysdilemma wrote:
Based on the last few ceremonies, the beginning of February is when you'll see the first significant numbers receiving certs. There will be a lot of people who don't receive them before late April. I'd be very, very surprised if any real numbers of people - or indeed any at all, see them before Christmas.
I seriously hope that is not the case as it would be absolutely criminal to make people wait that long to get their certificate especially after some people have already been waiting for 2 years.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:58 pm

Bluebird71 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:49 pm
Vadrar wrote:
alwaysdilemma wrote:
I seriously hope that is not the case as it would be absolutely criminal to make people wait that long to get their certificate especially after some people have already been waiting for 2 years.
Some people haven't gotten their certs from October ceremony (been like 3 months), so ISD does take a lot of time sometimes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Bluebird71
Ireland

Post by Bluebird71 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:22 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:58 pm
Bluebird71 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:49 pm
Vadrar wrote:
alwaysdilemma wrote:
Some people haven't gotten their certs from October ceremony (been like 3 months), so ISD does take a lot of time sometimes.
I dont really understand that or find that fair ? I understood that they had increased staff and I dont think they make people wait months more for certificates... at some point something has to give. I thought everyone had received their certs from October ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:21 pm

Bluebird71 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:22 pm
I thought everyone had received their certs from October ?
I also did, but alas - post2141667.html#p2141667
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

ILLL
Ireland

Post by ILLL » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:06 pm

So do we need to renew the IRP after the ceremony and before receiving the certificate? If yes, what stamp type?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:10 pm

ILLL wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:06 pm
So do we need to renew the IRP after the ceremony and before receiving the certificate? If yes, what stamp type?
Why do you ask? Do you need to travel?

Technically, you are a citizen from the date of your ceremony and a citizen cannot be granted a visa, because, well, they're a citizen, get a passport.
But you can't prove it until the cert is recieved, so you're in a bit of a legal limbo (which was nonexistent before they started sending out the certs, as they gave them out on the ceremony, but ah well, now some people have to wait months until cert, eg post2130827.html#p2130827).

If you need to travel, you either:
- give up on your travel,
- use your old IRP if it's still valid (good enough for airlines and you can explain yourself at the border)
- or come into Burgh Quay and plead for an emergency visa so you can return.

If f you need IRP for a job/etc, you can try to apply for renewal on the same basis as you had before; 99 percent they'll say "you're a citizen, can't give you this one", but at least you can say to your employer "im in the process of renewal" if they ask (and hopefully cert arrives once they refuse), 9 percent is they renew it and 1 percent - they'll offer you an alternate solution.

ILLL
Ireland

Post by ILLL » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:29 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:10 pm
ILLL wrote:

Technically, you are a citizen from the date of your ceremony and a citizen cannot be granted a visa, because, well, they're a citizen, get a passport.
But you can't prove it until the cert is recieved, so you're in a bit of a legal limbo (which was nonexistent before they started sending out the certs, as they gave them out on the ceremony, but ah well, now some people have to wait months until cert, eg post2130827.html#p2130827).

- use your old IRP if it's still valid (good enough for airlines and you can explain yourself at the border)

If f you need IRP for a job/etc, you can try to apply for renewal on the same basis as you had before; 99 percent they'll say "you're a citizen, can't give you this one", but at least you can say to your employer "im in the process of renewal" if they ask (and hopefully cert arrives once they refuse), 9 percent is they renew it and 1 percent - they'll offer you an alternate solution.
Thanks for the response. As my IRP is due to expire in three months, if I don’t receive the certificate, I am not sure how can I prove to my employer my status. It’s a weird situation and I am not 100% sure what is the best option.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:34 pm

ILLL wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:29 pm
As my IRP is due to expire in three months, if I don’t receive the certificate, I am not sure how can I prove to my employer my status. It’s a weird situation and I am not 100% sure what is the best option.
If you live in Dublin, apply for extension and it'll give you another month or two.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/registe ... al-dublin/
Employers should note:

If an employee’s IRP card has expired and they are unable to obtain a valid registration card by the expiry date of their current IRP card, they are still legally permitted to remain in the State on the existing conditions of their current IRP card for a maximum of 8 weeks. This 8 week provision is subject to the employee providing proof that they have applied to renew their registration, including when changing stamp category, prior to their current IRP card expiring.
But 3 months should be enough. Hopefully.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:56 pm

ILLL wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:29 pm
meself2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:10 pm
ILLL wrote:

Thanks for the response. As my IRP is due to expire in three months, if I don’t receive the certificate, I am not sure how can I prove to my employer my status. It’s a weird situation and I am not 100% sure what is the best option.
You could also show your employer naturalisation approval letter plus ceremony invitation. For good measure you could email department and ask for certificate delivery date. They won’t say, but if they reply with a meaningless message you could show that to your employer too to indicate it’s normal for the certificate to be mired in bureaucracy.

cnbyz
Mood:
Ireland

Post by cnbyz » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:08 pm

I think they can improve this process by issuing a temporary certificate in the ceremony which folks can submit to their employer. We are naturalised now but still stressed over stuff . We deserve better

Bluebird71
Ireland

Post by Bluebird71 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:03 pm

cnbyz wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:08 pm
I think they can improve this process by issuing a temporary certificate in the ceremony which folks can submit to their employer. We are naturalised now but still stressed over stuff . We deserve better
On the invitation it said your certificate will be posted in couple of weeks. That means two weeks at some point they need to held accountable. It’s not fair that we can’t prove our right to work status because they decided to keep us in limbo.

FidoDido29
Ireland

Post by FidoDido29 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:18 pm

I was wondering if there was a timeline thread for certificate of naturalisation? Just getting a little desperate after attending ceremony on 19th Dec.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:42 pm

FidoDido29 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:18 pm
I was wondering if there was a timeline thread for certificate of naturalisation? Just getting a little desperate after attending ceremony on 19th Dec.
Not beyond the dates mentioned throughout this thread. The historic template for the annual timeline threads don't include a distinct certification date. I suspect because when the template was created certificates were given on the day of ceremony.

@mods - certificate arrival date might be a useful addition when the 2024 timeline is started perhaps?

General experience of recent ceremonies suggests a wait of at least a month and often two to three months is entirely normal unfortunately. I haven't heard of anyone receiving a certificate from Dec ceremonies yet.They could of course change this approach at some point and issue certificates sooner but that is the recent timeline.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:51 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:42 pm
The historic template for the annual timeline threads don't include a distinct certification date. I suspect because when the template was created certificates were given on the day of ceremony.
It was created back in teh day when there was a second letter, times long gone.
Vadrar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:42 pm
@mods - certificate arrival date might be a useful addition when the 2024 timeline is started perhaps?
I'll throw this into the topic. About time to start it, probably. Thanks for the suggestion!
FidoDido29 wrote:
My optimistic, very optimistic expectation (assuming you went to the first ceremony) is end of Jan; there was a gap of 2 weeks/ a month between ceremonies. If they'll keep going like that, I would say people from last ceremony will get their certs around April - May at best.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:55 pm

@Vadrar and others - timeline thread is in place ( ireland/2024-citizenship-applications-t ... 42461.html ); I think I got all the current stages correct? If not, let me know and I'll amend it before first poster comes.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:06 pm

meself2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:55 pm
@Vadrar and others - timeline thread is in place ( ireland/2024-citizenship-applications-t ... 42461.html ); I think I got all the current stages correct? If not, let me know and I'll amend it before first poster comes.
Thanks so much. Stages look good to me. After what feels like a long time sitting on the sidelines (though no longer than anyone else of course), I've finally been able to jump into the game myself.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:16 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:06 pm
Thanks so much. Stages look good to me. After what feels like a long time sitting on the sidelines (though no longer than anyone else of course), I've finally been able to jump into the game myself.
That waiting saved you a ton of unnecessary hassle with paper copies and passports, so it could as well be an advantage.
Have fun with that! Wait is tideous, but the result is worth it.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 pm

meself2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:16 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:06 pm
That waiting saved you a ton of unnecessary hassle with paper copies and passports, so it could as well be an advantage.
Have fun with that! Wait is tideous, but the result is worth it.
Thanks! You are absolutely right - the online form is light years ahead of the old process (though that's not saying much). Certifying every page of every passport was a beast of a job. Avoiding the whole banker's draft and blackbox of postage was very welcome too - it removes so much uncertainty and anxiety. And that's before you factor in the online form having considerably fewer questions than the paper form.

And yes, the end result is an enormous privilege; I'm grateful to be in progress. It could be a long old haul for me as I've decided to go down the association route. I was very interested to see your post about the re-instigation of revocation. It just confirmed to me that as I am fortunate enough to be able to make an association case, I'll trade off the additional processing time to get rid of any need for registration should circumstances mean I have to move away from Ireland in the future.

Stay0
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Stay0 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 pm

FidoDido29 wrote:

Not the best response by the minister (no surprise there). If going by the response we can expect certs within 6 weeks of the ceremony.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... nswers-161

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:56 pm

Stay0 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 pm
FidoDido29 wrote:

Not the best response by the minister (no surprise there). If going by the response we can expect certs within 6 weeks of the ceremony.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... nswers-161
She's actually only committed herself to 51% ('the majority of these certificates') of applicants receiving the certificate within 6 weeks. Which is in line (if you squint and give the benefit of the doubt to the department and presume An Post is responsible for some additional delays) with what we've seen.

That leaves up to 49% waiting for many more weeks, and still not having any grounds for dispute with her claims.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:02 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 pm
It could be a long old haul for me as I've decided to go down the association route.
Could be, but possibly they can let you be in line with others, taking your residence into account; time will tell.

And yes, taking a bit longer now for mental peace on years ahead is a better optino IMO.
Stay0 wrote:
If going by the response we can expect certs within 6 weeks of the ceremony.
I wouldn't say so. It took about 2 months for people on last ceremony of Oct 2nd and, as rightfully noted by Vadrar, it's not a clear confirmation. Also, "issued" in my mind stands for "printed", not "sent", which could be a few weeks' difference.

Stay0
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Stay0 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:44 am

meself2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:02 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 pm
It could be a long old haul for me as I've decided to go down the association route.
Could be, but possibly they can let you be in line with others, taking your residence into account; time will tell.

And yes, taking a bit longer now for mental peace on years ahead is a better optino IMO.
Stay0 wrote:
If going by the response we can expect certs within 6 weeks of the ceremony.
I wouldn't say so. It took about 2 months for people on last ceremony of Oct 2nd and, as rightfully noted by Vadrar, it's not a clear confirmation. Also, "issued" in my mind stands for "printed", not "sent", which could be a few weeks' difference.

You might expect that since they’ve improved the application process, getting and sending the certificates would be faster. I really wonder why there’s a delay in printing them, especially when all the needed info, like photos, is provided online. Once payment is confirmed, and applicant has confirmed attendance to the ceremony. The certificates should be printed right away, maybe even given out at the ceremony or sent in the post within a week of the ceremony. They have issued approval letters received by post the next day and I don’t see why that level of efficiency can’t be achieved with the Cert. The way it’s done doesn’t seem to be very well planned out. I truly hope the wait for December attendees does not go beyond end of January.
I’d like to think Oct attendee(s) still waiting (nos uncertain) is just an exception.