ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Access to healthcare for child born in UK but without a visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fatemaattarwala
Newly Registered

Access to healthcare for child born in UK but without a visa

Post by fatemaattarwala » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm

Hi,

I am the main applicant of a Skilled Worker visa and my daughter was born in the UK on June 2023. I will be applying for her British citizenship this year after I get my ILR and hence have not got a dependent visa for her as we had to plans to travel outside UK.

I wanted to check that does this affect her rights and access to free NHS healthcare?

Thanks in advance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Access to healthcare for child born in UK but without a visa

Post by zimba » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 pm

fatemaattarwala wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm
Hi,

I am the main applicant of a Skilled Worker visa and my daughter was born in the UK on June 2023. I will be applying for her British citizenship this year after I get my ILR and hence have not got a dependent visa for her as we had to plans to travel outside UK.

I wanted to check that does this affect her rights and access to free NHS healthcare?

Thanks in advance.
Such a child will be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England ONLY for 3 months after being born in the UK unless such a child obtains a valid leave or is registered as British.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visitin ... -area-eea/
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

fatemaattarwala
Newly Registered

Post by fatemaattarwala » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:14 pm

zimba wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 pm
fatemaattarwala wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Such a child will be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England ONLY for 3 months after being born in the UK unless such a child obtains a valid leave or is registered as British.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visitin ... -area-eea/
Just to confirm, is this only related to hospital treatment? The child can still receive free GP consultations and other services like health visitor and A&E if needed?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 pm

GP visits should be free but it's up to the GP practice to decide whether or not they'll accept new patients. Any other NHS treatment will be charged when appropriate, including any treatment at the A&E. You receive the service and then the NHS will send you a bill for the treatment provided
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

fatemaattarwala
Newly Registered

Post by fatemaattarwala » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:46 pm

zimba wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 pm
GP visits should be free but it's up to the GP practice to decide whether or not they'll accept new patients. Any other NHS treatment will be charged when appropriate, including any treatment at the A&E. You receive the service and then the NHS will send you a bill for the treatment provided
Thanks for your response. I just read what Hospital treatment means and it is only related to being admitted in the hospital and receiving treatment and services. GP and A&E are free, until you have to have been referred for further treatment or admitted or emergency basis.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospita ... -services/

Thought I'd put this information in case someone else had the same confusion. That makes sense to me now, thanks zimba

Saad64
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Saad64 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:12 pm

Hi

My son has a hospital appointment in May, he will be more than 3 months old by that time. I am applying for his citizenship now on the basis of my ILR. He hasn't got any visa yet since he was born only a month and back before i got my ILR.

What should i do?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:25 am

I think it may be a grey area, since a UK born child without any leave to expire cannot be an overstayer. Then if a parent has ILR, will they consider child as ordinarily resident?

Probably safer to get adequate health insurance to cover child’s healthcare costs before child is granted British citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:59 am

The OP does not have ILR so I am a bit confused. Until they get ILR the discussion about citizenship is premature. The other issue - has the other parent got ILR?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:07 pm

fatemaattarwala wrote:
I will be applying for her British citizenship this year after I get my ILR and hence have not got a dependent visa for her as we had to plans to travel outside UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

The_Boss
Newly Registered
India

Post by The_Boss » Thu May 02, 2024 4:32 pm

fatemaattarwala wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:46 pm
zimba wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 pm
Thanks for your response. I just read what Hospital treatment means and it is only related to being admitted in the hospital and receiving treatment and services. GP and A&E are free, until you have to have been referred for further treatment or admitted or emergency basis.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospita ... -services/

Thought I'd put this information in case someone else had the same confusion. That makes sense to me now, thanks zimba
Hi fatemaattarwala, do you mind sharing what you've done with the health care for your child ? Did you opt for a private insurance or some other alternative? I am in a similar situation and would appreciate the approach you've taken here. thank you

Regards,