ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of living in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

claraluh
United Kingdom

Proof of living in the UK

Post by claraluh » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:06 pm

Hello Everyone,

-If a person (EU National with Settled Status) is self employed and have been since 2014, can they use their Self Assessment Statements (yearly) as proof of living in the UK for the qualifying period?
-Should they ask their clients for letters to confirm that? (if it is really needed)
-Can they also use NHS Letters or other letters from HMRC as proof of living in the UK?

Many Thanks in advance.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Proof of living in the UK

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:02 pm

You can use council tax or letters from other government agencies (eg DVLA, electoral register, HMRC). Tax assessments are not proof of residence, and I doubt letters from clients would be accepted.

Review https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t_2023.pdf page 33
Absences
You should supply the following documents to show you have been mainly in the UK
during the 5 years (or, if married to or in civil partnership to a British citizen, 3 years)
before making your application:

• Your passports
• If you are unable to provide your passport, explain why and supply letters from
employers (including start and finish dates), payslips, P60s, educational
establishments or other government departments indicating your presence in the
United Kingdom during the relevant period
Examples of documents that can be used to show you have been in the UK for the
required time period, can be found here.
Although we do not normally accept doctors’ letters on their own as proof of presence,
these may be accepted if nothing else is available and the doctors can confirm that they
have seen you on a regular basis during the period concerned.

If your passport is not stamped when you come into the United Kingdom, you must still
provide your passport, but also provide alternative evidence of presence as above
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:10 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:02 pm
You can use council tax or letters from other government agencies (eg DVLA, electoral register, HMRC). Tax assessments are not proof of residence, and I doubt letters from clients would be accepted.

In the application process, they are requesting these documents "If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period."

I would like to confirm if NHS letters would cover as government department letters.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:18 am

NHS letters should be fine as they are a government organisation - note only one type of document is required, not all of them.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:10 pm

Should we send maybe 3/4 documents throughout the year? or 1 will suffice? I think we will add the Self Assessment statements just in case.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:37 pm

One document per year is normally fine (in my case one document for 5 years was fine, but I was employed by the same company over the residency period). Unlike Settled Status applications only a minimum of documents is sufficient - as long as you satisfy all statutory requirements. I appreciate many applicants feel nervous of being refused and loosing the fee, and thinking UKVI looking for reasons to refuse. But if you have been through the immigration mill then naturalisation is a doddle.
You are free of course to add as many documents as you wish but we'll never know that clinched the deal.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:34 pm

claraluh wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:10 pm
Should we send maybe 3/4 documents throughout the year? or 1 will suffice? I think we will add the Self Assessment statements just in case.
You can add the self assessments but I am not sure they count as evidence of residence. I would maybe send 2-3 letters each year if you don't have council tax bills in your name (which usually cover a whole year). If you have council tax in your name, that's the easiest option.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.