ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extra evidence required? Passport stamped when arrived but used e-gates once when returning from a holiday

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Extra evidence required? Passport stamped when arrived but used e-gates once when returning from a holiday

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:04 pm

Hello, I’m about to submit my naturalisation application. I saw on the document checklist ‘If...your passport was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.’ I also saw on the guidance that ‘you do not need to submit documents that have been uploaded as part of previous immigration applications – we will have a record of these and will consider them in support of your application.’

Situation: My passport was stamped when I entered the UK for the first time in 2018. However, I did go on a short holiday in 2019 for 3 weeks and was told to use the e-gates so don’t have a stamp from that. That was my only time leaving the UK. I got ILR in 2022.

1. As part of my ILR application I had a letter from my employer saying that I worked for a university from 2019-2021. I also included P60s and my P45 in that application. Based on the info above, should I just tell them in the Cover letter to refer to my ILR for proof? I also have council tax bills except for the 2019 one which I seem to have lost.
2. Also, do I need to provide additional material to prove residency beyond my return from holiday in 2019 – I have worked for an overseas company remotely from the UK in 2021 and 2023 so could provide HMRC tax records and a letter from my employer stating I worked remotely for the company with my UK address – or is this not necessary?

A colleague has said I just need my passport and not to complicate things but I’m concerned due to the missing stamp (that said, ILR went through fine with my evidence).

Thank you!

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Re: Extra evidence required? Passport stamped when arrived but used e-gates once when returning from a holiday

Post by imbik » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:45 pm

That was a similar situation for my wife, son and daughter as they are all EU citizens. Rather than trying to prove with other documents I used the following link to request their history of entry and exit into and out of the UK for the last 5 years and added it to their naturalisation application.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration

I sent the a letter requesting the history from the borders (individual letter per person). By the way, you have to add this to that letter; I, "Your full name", hereby give UK Visas & Immigration permission to check my records, make a copy of my travel history (entry and exit into and out of the UK) for the past 5 years and send it to "your email address" , do not forget to add your application date and number. Then date and sign it.

You also need to add a copy of your passport as photo ID evidence. By the way, I needed to go to post office for ID certification but it seems it is not necessary anymore. I received an email per person in 10 days showing Departure Date/Arrival Date/Port/crew, etc. on their name.

I hope it helps.
I love science

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Extra evidence required? Passport stamped when arrived but used e-gates once when returning from a holiday

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:53 pm

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:59 pm

Also perhaps a silly question but what do you mean by the application date and number? thank you!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:05 pm

Bonnie17 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:04 pm
Hello, I’m about to submit my naturalisation application. I saw on the document checklist ‘If...your passport was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.’ I also saw on the guidance that ‘you do not need to submit documents that have been uploaded as part of previous immigration applications – we will have a record of these and will consider them in support of your application.’

Situation: My passport was stamped when I entered the UK for the first time in 2018. However, I did go on a short holiday in 2019 for 3 weeks and was told to use the e-gates so don’t have a stamp from that. That was my only time leaving the UK. I got ILR in 2022.

1. As part of my ILR application I had a letter from my employer saying that I worked for a university from 2019-2021. I also included P60s and my P45 in that application. Based on the info above, should I just tell them in the Cover letter to refer to my ILR for proof? I also have council tax bills except for the 2019 one which I seem to have lost.

2. Also, do I need to provide additional material to prove residency beyond my return from holiday in 2019 – I have worked for an overseas company remotely from the UK in 2021 and 2023 so could provide HMRC tax records and a letter from my employer stating I worked remotely for the company with my UK address – or is this not necessary?

A colleague has said I just need my passport and not to complicate things but I’m concerned due to the missing stamp (that said, ILR went through fine with my evidence).

Thank you!

Letters from employers and P60s will be enough. No need for P45 or HMRC tax records. ILR and nationality are different applications, it's only a couple of letters that you need to scan and attach, so I would say no harm in doing that.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:50 pm

Thank you. I only have P60s and P45 for my job that ended in 2021 (but I assume that will prove that I did come back in 2019). After that I worked for a company abroad remotely from the UK. But I do have tax records to confirm this work as well as a letter from the employer saying I worked remotely. I will also try the subject access request. I do understand though that fewer documents are required here and they will be able to see my ILR evidence. It's mostly because I used the e-gates so using employer letters and the P60 to prove return. I wonder if I have to offer proof beyond a letter from my employer in 2019-2021/P60.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:06 pm

You don't need to submit the P45, P60 is enough. If you have all of them for the qualifying period that will be plenty of evidence. If you want to be on the safe side you can send your UK council tax bills in addition, but they won't be needed if you have all the P60s.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:35 pm

Hello, I only have P60 for 2 years of the qualifying period as after that I worked remotely for a non-UK company from the UK so no P60 just tax records etc. I have all my council tax bills except the first one which got lost in a move so 2019.

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:36 pm

I assume I really just have to show that I've been living in the UK and left and returned in 2019 so perhaps getting the border record might be the best bet? I had no issue with ILR as provided tons of evidence including a letter from my employer 2019-2021.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:47 pm

Don't think this is an issue, you have plenty of evidence, but also you provided your list of absences. Absences as such don't need to be proven and a missing stamp doesn't invalidate your residency. eGate records are held by the Home Office and they are likely to double-check against your absences if they wish.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Bonnie17
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bonnie17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:58 pm

Thank you!