ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILE (adult dependent relative) - BRP expire date

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

ILE (adult dependent relative) - BRP expire date

Post by tasha2709 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:40 pm

Dear forum members, hoping for your help....

My mum - a foreign national - has been granted an Adult Dependent Relative visa. Her entry clearance vignette, and her passport, expire on 17.02.2024; she arrived in the UK last week and has now received her BRP, that says "settlement," but for some reason it also says "valid until 17.02.2024." We have been unable to find any information on the gov.uk / UKVI website explaining why that might be the case, i.e., why a "settlement" BRP would be linked to the expiry date of the entry clearance/ passport. Any help would be appreciated. With thanks, and wishing all of us who are celebrating now peaceful and joyful days, - tasha2709

humanist100
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: ILE (adult dependent relative) - BRP expire date

Post by humanist100 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:49 pm

Appears to be a mistake.
Try using these links.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:21 pm

Seems to be an admin issue but note that settlement status is permanent and does not expire, so her status is NOT linked to the BRP expiry date. You may apply to replace the BRP, but it will NOT have an expiry beyond 31.12.2024 anyway.

Things are changing and here I explained it all: Information on eVisas as all BPRs will be phased out from 1st Jan 2025
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by tasha2709 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:56 am

Thank you very much for the responses. It is a relief to know this is most likely an admin error. I am aware of the fact the status itself (ILE) does not expire. The reason I posted the question here is because my mother will need to go back to her home country to arrange her affairs there, and with the error on the BRP this it’s now somewhat challenging.

I was wondering whether other forum users have any experience of having their corrected BRP posted to their UK address while they are abroad? Are the corrected ones posted, or do they need to be picked up from a Post Office by the person themselves? I am thinking I could then just make sure she has the new document with her when she is ready to fly back to the UK. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, and a wonderful Sunday to everybody!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:04 am

Where's your mother from, what nationality she holds?

You have an Israeli flag - if she's from Israel, she can return on an Israeli passport back to UK and explain situation to border force on arrival.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by tasha2709 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:43 am

Thank you for responding. Yes my mum is an Israeli, so no visa requirements for her to enter the country for up to 6 months, under normal circumstances. I was just wondering if she would not be flagged up in the system as …. something if the corrected BRP needs to be collected by her in person and she fails to do so, being out of the country (which would be against the rules — we are aware of the fact one is not supposed to travel without a valid BRP, it’s just that the waiting times with the HO are quite long at the moment). With regards, - tasha2709

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:32 pm

Israelis are non-visa nationals. They do not need a visa or BRP to fly to the UK. No need for her to get the BRP. Just fly back and explain this at the border. She will collect the BRP when back in the UK
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

Re: ILE (adult dependent relative) - BRP expiry date

Post by tasha2709 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:33 pm

Thank you. We may well have to do that. I was just hoping to avoid the necessity for explanations, potential delays at the border etc. (since the rules clearly state "no leaving and re-entering the country without a valid BRP for those in possession of one") whether somebody had this experience of reporting an error and having the corrected one delivered to their home address... Just in case there are other members here who had the (corrected) card delivered at their address in the UK, rather than needing to pick it up from a post-office. Again, I am grateful to everyone for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. tasha2709

razergd1
Israel

Post by razergd1 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm

Hi Tasha,

Normally you get 10 days to report an error on a BRP.

You can use this link to do so

As people said your mother is a non-visa national. The issue is that if she does not have her BRP or if it's expired then most likely she will be able to explain it to the border force at the point of arrival.

The issue is that the situation can be unpredictable, so it is better to try and sort this out in advance.
In the past, I had a friend (also Israeli) who received a BRP with wrong dates, as far as I remember this had been corrected through visa admin review.

The BRP should have an expiry date of 31.12.2024 after this date UK immigration status is expected to be digital.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.
I take no responsibility for following them.

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by tasha2709 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:32 pm

Thank you for responding. An admin review — is this what is done automatically when we report an error with the BRP via the online form? If so, hopefully it will be fine. Or would that be a different process? With best wishes, — tasha2709

razergd1
Israel

Post by razergd1 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:49 pm

I think it is better if you use the 'report a problem' link in the first instance.
If I were you I would use it. Mark length of stay, and explain that the ILR BRP came with the wrong expiry date.
On the form request a corrected ILR BRP with expiry date on 31/12/2024 as everyone else have.

My friend case was a student visa at around 2017-18... There the mistake was a case working error as the length of stay had a typo. ILE/ILR is indefinite status. So I think you don't need an admin review.

Please be aware that I don't give advice. It is just my opinion. Anything you do is at your own responsibility.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.
I take no responsibility for following them.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:22 pm

razergd1 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm
Hi Tasha,

Normally you get 10 days to report an error on a BRP.

You can use this link to do so

As people said your mother is a non-visa national. The issue is that if she does not have her BRP or if it's expired then most likely she will be able to explain it to the border force at the point of arrival.

The issue is that the situation can be unpredictable, so it is better to try and sort this out in advance.
In the past, I had a friend (also Israeli) who received a BRP with wrong dates, as far as I remember this had been corrected through visa admin review.

The BRP should have an expiry date of 31.12.2024 after this date UK immigration status is expected to be digital.
There will be no issues at the border, maybe some delays. Admin review is an application to request UKVI to review a refused visa application for errors again, it is not to correct issues with a BRP card after a leave to remain was issued. Please do not mix these things

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by tasha2709 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 pm

Thank you for clarifying this. I appreciate everyone’s help. Good night, and a good week to everybody! — tasha2709

tasha2709
Newly Registered
Israel

Post by tasha2709 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:48 am

Dear forum users, in case this is of interest to those who responded to my query - here is the BRP team's response: "A BRP can only be issued with information that matches that in the Permit Holder’s passport, at the time an application for Leave to Remain was submitted to the Home Office.If your personal details have changed subsequent to your application and if you wish to amend the details on the BRP, a separate application will be required once your passport details have been updated. If you wish to transfer your leave to a BRP, you will need to submit a further application for either a Transfer of Conditions (TOC) or an No Time Limit (NTL) but you are not required to do so, as your leave to remain in the UK is shown on the vignette.
The application required will be for either a 'Transfer of Conditions' (TOC) or a 'No Time Limit' (NTL) application according to the type of Leave held by the Permit Holder. The holder of the BRP will also be required to enrol their Biometrics again." Our lawyer is of the opinion this is wrong, but there you go. the NTL application would take up to 6 months, so that's a bit ridiculous. I will try to find how to do the Transfer of Conditions, and whether it can be done from abroad, if need be... A good day to everybody! - tasha2709

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:41 pm

tasha2709 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:48 am
Dear forum users, in case this is of interest to those who responded to my query - here is the BRP team's response: "A BRP can only be issued with information that matches that in the Permit Holder’s passport, at the time an application for Leave to Remain was submitted to the Home Office.If your personal details have changed subsequent to your application and if you wish to amend the details on the BRP, a separate application will be required once your passport details have been updated. If you wish to transfer your leave to a BRP, you will need to submit a further application for either a Transfer of Conditions (TOC) or an No Time Limit (NTL) but you are not required to do so, as your leave to remain in the UK is shown on the vignette.
The application required will be for either a 'Transfer of Conditions' (TOC) or a 'No Time Limit' (NTL) application according to the type of Leave held by the Permit Holder. The holder of the BRP will also be required to enrol their Biometrics again." Our lawyer is of the opinion this is wrong, but there you go. the NTL application would take up to 6 months, so that's a bit ridiculous. I will try to find how to do the Transfer of Conditions, and whether it can be done from abroad, if need be... A good day to everybody! - tasha2709
This is nonsense and it seems to have been provided by one of those third parties that handles all this type of communications. They just blurt out generic nonsense. This suggests every time someone gets a new passport, they need to get a new BRP and that was never the case. Your immigration status on a BRP is not attached to a passport but given to a person. It is very well known that a even valid visa in an old expired passport can be used to gain entry and this is the norm.

You have already been advised above, not sure why you are running around and confusing yourself.