ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship with community resolution (cannabis)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

foddler
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British citizenship with community resolution (cannabis)

Post by foddler » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:11 am

Dear community,

Does anyone know the chances to have a successful naturalization application with a community resolution for cannabis possession (a joint) -- per the new good character rules?

A note that community resolutions do not go on a criminal record and are lower in severity than FPNs/PNDs etc.

though given that the offence is drug related, I wonder if it would be automatically deemed as causing "serious harm" and thus refused?

Your advice or personal experience on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British citizenship with community resolution (cannabis)

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:59 am

When did you receive this?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British citizenship with community resolution (cannabis)

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:02 am

foddler wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:11 am
Dear community,

Does anyone know the chances to have a successful naturalization application with a community resolution for cannabis possession (a joint) -- per the new good character rules?

A note that community resolutions do not go on a criminal record and are lower in severity than FPNs/PNDs etc.

though given that the offence is drug related, I wonder if it would be automatically deemed as causing "serious harm" and thus refused?

Your advice or personal experience on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hard to know the chances as the new rules came into force recently and we don't have a lot of statistics. I believe you would need to disclose the community order under "out of court disposals".

Read the good character guidance, https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... racter.pdf page 19
Community resolutions
A community resolution is used for less serious offences or anti-social behaviour. It
is a tool which enables the police to make decisions about how to deal more
proportionately with lower-level crime and is primarily aimed at first time offenders
where genuine remorse has been expressed and where the victim has agreed that
they do not want the police to take more formal action.
In establishing whether the good character requirement is met, you must consider
the seriousness of the offence and whether it was a first-time offence.
If it was a first-time offence, you haven't reoffended since, and you show you changed your character, a community resolution isn't as serious as a caution.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.