ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

365 days continuous residence rule

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lasokoska
Newly Registered
Ireland

365 days continuous residence rule

Post by lasokoska » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:57 pm

Hello all,
New here and will be applying for a passport through naturalisation in July this year.

I have a question because I am not sure how to understand this rule from Citizens Information website
"Residence in the State
You must have lived in the State for a certain length of time. The specific requirements are that you:

Have a period of 365 days (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation"

How should I understand the above? Does that mean that I can't leave the country for a year before applying for the passport? Let's say, I am applying in July 2024, does that mean that I can't leave the State from July 2023-July 2024? I am not certain how should I understand that, thank you for all help and explaining the rule

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: 365 days continuous residence rule

Post by Vadrar » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:18 pm

lasokoska wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:57 pm
Hello all,
New here and will be applying for a passport through naturalisation in July this year.

I have a question because I am not sure how to understand this rule from Citizens Information website
"Residence in the State
You must have lived in the State for a certain length of time. The specific requirements are that you:

Have a period of 365 days (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation"

How should I understand the above? Does that mean that I can't leave the country for a year before applying for the passport? Let's say, I am applying in July 2024, does that mean that I can't leave the State from July 2023-July 2024? I am not certain how should I understand that, thank you for all help and explaining the rule
You can be absent 70 days in any 365 day period and still meet continuous residency standard. More than 70 days out in final year and you don’t meet it (unless relying on additional emergency 30 days for which evidence of emergency is required and still at discretion of department.)

365 day period is counted back from date of application.

Day leaving and returning to RoI count as being present. Any time physically present in a day in RoI counts as a day in.

NI does not count unless you are spouse of Irish and applying as such.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:26 pm

Also this relates to application for naturalisation. It is irrelevant to an application for passport - that’s a totally separate process. You’ll get confusing information if you refer to a naturalisation application as a passport application.

lasokoska
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by lasokoska » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:32 pm

thank you for your help this clarifies a lot
all the best

mfinnin
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mfinnin » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:55 am

Vadar, I have looked at the application and rules for applying and I don't see how they know if you have been out of the country. As I read it they only ask for the copy of your passport biometric page. Do you have any insight on this? Thanks!

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:54 am

mfinnin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:55 am
Vadar, I have looked at the application and rules for applying and I don't see how they know if you have been out of the country. As I read it they only ask for the copy of your passport biometric page. Do you have any insight on this? Thanks!
The application asks you to attest to whether you e been out more than 70 days or not. If you say yes you’re asked to give details. If you say no they compare to their data see if there is a match. Passport pages aren’t needed anymore as stamps are a pretty patchy source of data for physical residence.