ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Visit Visa for 2 years & Citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hyperduck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malta

UK Visit Visa for 2 years & Citizenship

Post by hyperduck » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:13 pm

Good Afternoon,

I have had at least 2 UK visitor visas previously 6 months each and now I applied for a 2 year Visa. All these times the supporting document was my company as I have to travel to conduct company business - will they possibly issue the visa for 2 years without any issues?

Also, I am married to a UK National and we are living in the EU, do we have to live in the UK for me to get citizenship or we can apply without living there?

Thanks in advance.

Good day !

meself2
Ireland

Re: UK Visit Visa for 2 years & Citizenship

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:25 pm

hyperduck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:13 pm
Also, I am married to a UK National and we are living in the EU, do we have to live in the UK for me to get citizenship or we can apply without living there?
No - you have to live there for about 5 years to be able to apply.
hyperduck wrote:
will they possibly issue the visa for 2 years without any issues?
Possibly.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:46 pm

hyperduck wrote:
Merely being married to a British citizen does not entitle you to British citizenship.

You need to be resident in the UK for at least five years (and crucially resident means on non-visit visas), qualify for ILR (the equivalent of permanent residence in the EU) and then apply for British citizenship.

You also need to meet other requirements; absences under certain thresholds in the five years, three years and year immediatly before applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, English language and Life In the UK (LITUK) tests.

If you move to the UK as the spouse of a British citizen, your British citizen spouse needs to earn more than £18,600 (£29,000 after April 2024) per annum to be able to sponsor you. Just being a British citizen is not enough to be able to sponsor their non-British spouse to the UK.

Did your British citizen spouse move to the EU before 31st December 2020? And were the two of you married before that date?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

hyperduck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malta

Post by hyperduck » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:53 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:46 pm
hyperduck wrote:
Merely being married to a British citizen does not entitle you to British citizenship.

You need to be resident in the UK for at least five years (and crucially resident means on non-visit visas), qualify for ILR (the equivalent of permanent residence in the EU) and then apply for British citizenship.

You also need to meet other requirements; absences under certain thresholds in the five years, three years and year immediatly before applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, English language and Life In the UK (LITUK) tests.

If you move to the UK as the spouse of a British citizen, your British citizen spouse needs to earn more than £18,600 (£29,000 after April 2024) per annum to be able to sponsor you. Just being a British citizen is not enough to be able to sponsor their non-British spouse to the UK.

Did your British citizen spouse move to the EU before 31st December 2020? And were the two of you married before that date?

Are there no possibilities given the fact neither of us have intentions to living in the UK as of now?

No, moved and married after December 2020 in the EU.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:13 am

No - not to my knowledge. And requirements for naturalisation haven’t changed for years.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 pm

hyperduck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:53 am
secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:46 pm
hyperduck wrote:

Are there no possibilities given the fact neither of us have intentions to living in the UK as of now?

No, moved and married after December 2020 in the EU.
Not meeting up requirement and the intention to continues stay not there at the moment.
Application can not proceed.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:16 pm

hyperduck wrote:
No.

One of the requirements is literally the intention to reside in the UK, in addition to the absence requirements, physical presence requirement, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

hyperduck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malta

Post by hyperduck » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:50 am

Thank You all for the replies, much appreciated!

hyperduck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malta

Spouse of UK National

Post by hyperduck » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:52 am

Good Morning,

I am a spouse of a UK national and require a visa to visit the UK.

We don't live in the UK and I have to travel to the UK for company business and family visits.

Is there any other type of visa I could apply for apart from the standard visitor visa?

Thank You

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:54 am

Is there any other type of visa I could apply for apart from the standard visitor visa?
No there is not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 am

Being married to a U.K. citizen does not confer any additional rights to enter the U.K. as a foreign national. You are in the same boat as all foreign nationals that do not have visa free entry to the U.K.

hyperduck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malta

Post by hyperduck » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:21 am

Thank You for the replies !

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:04 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:16 pm
hyperduck wrote:
No.

One of the requirements is literally the intention to reside in the UK
Unless they apply as the spouse of a British citizen under Section 6(2). However, ILR and residence requirements apply.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:35 am

If you are a non-Irish EU national, then would it be easier to move to Ireland under Freedom of Movement?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hyperduck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malta

Post by hyperduck » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:11 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:04 am
secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:16 pm
hyperduck wrote:
No.

One of the requirements is literally the intention to reside in the UK
Unless they apply as the spouse of a British citizen under Section 6(2). However, ILR and residence requirements apply.
In theory that still requires physical present in the UK for the 3 & 5 years route.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:20 pm

hyperduck wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:11 pm
In theory that still requires physical present in the UK for the 3 & 5 years route.
That is correct. You still need residence in the UK for at least five years to get ILR, even as the spouse of a British citizen.

There is no process to acquire British citizenship purely by marriage to a British citizen.