ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp2 Student Visa to Employment visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tugii20
Ireland

Stamp2 Student Visa to Employment visa

Post by tugii20 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:44 pm

Hi
Someone asked me this,
a person has a student English visa STAMP2 which has already expired now and luckily he got an employment offer from his employer(I dunno the company is going to sponsor him).
How does he transfer or change his status in Ireland?
is it possible to apply from Ireland or he has to go back to his home country to apply?

Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Stamp2 Student Visa to Employment visa

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm

Since their stamp is expired, on what basis are they in Ireland?
I wouldn't expect them to be able to transfer from an overstayer to a work visa.
Employment offer on its own gives no right to reside.

If they want to get a new stamp, it's all the usual stuff; get work permit, apply for a new IRP based on this work permit or, if their visa is expired (hopefully they're back home in this case), apply for a visa and get IRP on arrival.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

tugii20
Ireland

Post by tugii20 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:35 am

since visa expired like few days ago, they were planning to head home but lastly he got employment sponsorship or something

so he decided to stay

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:30 pm

tugii20 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:35 am
since visa expired like few days ago, they were planning to head home but lastly he got employment sponsorship or something

so he decided to stay
Employment sponsorship on its own gives no right to stay. They need to get an employment permit first (which will take weeks) and apply for a visa/IRP; only when it's granted, their stay is legal.

It would possibly be fine if they've applied for renewal - their previous stay conditions would be in place for 2 months while they're waiting for renewal to be processed, assuming application was lodged before expiration date of their permission. But I assume that did not happen.

At the moment they seem to be an overstayer. Best to return to lessen the consequences imo.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.