ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Dependent (now with ILR) applying for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Expat2009
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Dependent (now with ILR) applying for Citizenship

Post by Expat2009 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:56 pm

Hi,
My wife joined me in the UK as a Tier 2 dependent back in Feb 2017. In Feb 2023, she got her ILR after passing Life in the UK test. Now a year later, we think she qualifies to apply for citizenship.
I wanted to ask if she needs to demonstrates English language competence?
What form needs to be filled for her as I think she qualifies on her ILR, as well as being married to (now) a British citizen?
Thanks for your help as always

meself2
Ireland

Re: Tier 2 Dependent (now with ILR) applying for Citizenship

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 pm

Expat2009 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:56 pm
she needs to demonstrates English language competence?
Why would she not?
Expat2009 wrote:
What form needs to be filled for her as I think she qualifies on her ILR, as well as being married to (now) a British citizen?
She qualifies as a dependent, not on the basis of British spouse. At the moment you being British has no bearing.
Apply via SET(O).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Expat2009
Newly Registered

Post by Expat2009 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:05 pm

Thank you for the response.

On the English language requirement, mainly because it was already done as part of ILR, but we can attach the same evidence anyway

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:05 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 pm
She qualifies as a dependent, not on the basis of British spouse. At the moment you being British has no bearing.
Apply via SET(O).
As OP's wife has ILR since 2023, she should qualify for citizenship as her spouse is British, or maybe I misunderstood the scenario?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:06 pm

Expat2009 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:05 pm
Thank you for the response.

On the English language requirement, mainly because it was already done as part of ILR, but we can attach the same evidence anyway
Yes you can reuse it, need to provide reference number and/or certificate for it in the application and reference you used it for a past ILR application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:08 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:05 pm
meself2 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 pm
Apply via SET(O).
As OP's wife has ILR since 2023, she should qualify for citizenship as her spouse is British, or maybe I misunderstood the scenario?
You're right, apologies - in that case yes, she can go on three year route.

Why did I read this as ILR application is beyond me.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:13 pm

Expat2009 wrote:
Hi,
My wife joined me in the UK as a Tier 2 dependent back in Feb 2017. In Feb 2023, she got her ILR after passing Life in the UK test. Now a year later, we think she qualifies to apply for citizenship.
I wanted to ask if she needs to demonstrates English language competence?
You can apply for wife's citizenship through form AN https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1697640978 and also make sure she respects all requirements.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:02 pm

Expat2009 wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to ask if she needs to demonstrates English language competence? Yes, reuse same English language test result used for ILR, add LIUK result.
What form needs to be filled for her as I think she qualifies on her ILR, as well as being married to (now) a British citizen? Could have applied as soon as got married to BC I.e. if not already married at time of her ILR in February 2023 so go ahead.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:37 pm

There's only one form for Adult Naturalisation (Form AN1), irrespective of route to ILR, or whether wife, husband, remember there is no dependent for naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Expat2009
Newly Registered

Post by Expat2009 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:49 am

Thank you all for the response, much appreciated