ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Robbiekeane » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:40 am

Paddystarni wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 pm
Woohoo!!! Received the congratulations email today! The certs have been printed and posted. I’ll check the tracking they provided tomorrow as it’s not updated yet!

Updated timeline

Application submitted: 03/09/22
Documents sent: 23/02/23
Application received: 20/03/23
Address confirmation: 9/12/23
Address confirmed 14/12/23
Confirmation applications have been approved 15/12/23
Congratulations email: 10/01/24
I just received mine too! Excited to get my passport soon so starting to just gather everything thats needed. Do you (or anyone else) know if sending a colour copy notarised/witnessed of passport is okay? The passport application page says to send original passport but I feel like that is something I do not want to do at all as it has my US Visa in it…

Application submitted online - 22/06/2022
Documents received: 23/09/22
Additional documents request: 18/7/2023 *
Additional documents sent: 5/10/23**
Address confirmation/confirmation email: 18/12/23***
Congratulations email: 11/01/2024 (confirmed certificate has been printed and posted)
Certificate received:

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:37 pm

Today I got our application approval email, timeline below:

Application submitted: 04/02/23
Documents sent: 23/03/23
Docs received (according to tracking): 3/4/23
Docs received by confirmation (email): 12/4/23
Address confirmed (email): None
Confirmation applications have been approved (email) 11/1/24

This forum (and the Google Sheets) have been invaluable in shedding light on the realities of the FBR process. Here are the top lessons I learned reading through these fantastic sources:

* For at least the last year, processing time has been speeding up slightly each month...where time from "Docs received" email to "address confirmation" email has gone from 10-11 months down to currently just around 8-9 months.
* Multiple siblings applicants within a single application don't appear to be demonstrably slower than individual applications
* Despite what the web site says, siblings currently residing in different countries can successfully apply together in a single application
* Issues with a witness signature in right place, right type of person , everything on the back of the photo, signatures on the same date etc appear to be the top issue in requests for replacement docs
* Inconsistencies between names and dates across different official docs do not appear to be a problem, the Irish authorities seem to be able to piece things together quite well
* The authorities do appear to process in order of the docs received date, but at any given time there is a swing of at least 5 weeks
* Request for more information from the authorities appears to trigger a minimum 2 month delay, but can certainly be longer

Thank you all for making this community so valuable

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:26 pm

Robbiekeane wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:40 am
Paddystarni wrote:
Woohoo!!! Received the congratulations email today! The certs have been printed and posted. I’ll check the tracking they provided tomorrow as it’s not updated yet!

Updated timeline

I just received mine too! Excited to get my passport soon so starting to just gather everything thats needed. Do you (or anyone else) know if sending a colour copy notarised/witnessed of passport is okay? The passport application page says to send original passport but I feel like that is something I do not want to do at all as it has my US Visa in it…

Congratulations email: 11/01/2024 (confirmed certificate has been printed and posted)
Certificate received:
From the website:
Original FBR Certificate or a certified colour copy (certified by a solicitor or notary public)

Jgclancy

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:30 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:26 pm
Robbiekeane wrote:
Paddystarni wrote:

Updated timeline

Certificate received:
From the website:
Original FBR Certificate or a certified colour copy (certified by a solicitor or notary public)

Jgclancy
Thank you I saw that bit but also asks for original passport I believe. I really don’t feel comfortable sending my original passport is all…

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:51 am

Robbiekeane wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:30 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Robbiekeane wrote:
Paddystarni wrote:

Updated timeline

Certificate received:
From the website:

Jgclancy
Thank you I saw that bit but also asks for original passport I believe. I really don’t feel comfortable sending my original passport is all…
No.You can send a notarized passport. Of that I am positive. It needs to be in color. The passport instructions clearly state in color. That's how I did it.

Jgclancy

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:55 am

Just to be clear.

To get the passport you can send a notarized, color copy of both the FBR certificate. & a notarized, color copy of your current non- Irish passport.

Jgclancy

wiivile
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by wiivile » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:59 am

what does “notarized” mean in this case? what is the notary notarizing? at least where i live (NY) notaries aren’t permitted to say anything is a certified copy of anything… only the issuing authority can do that

btw i’m still paranoid about not writing the application number on the back of my fbr photo and would appreciate data points of anyone who definitely did or definitely didnt do that… they need to be clearer about the photo requirements in the instructions.

MattDeLaAxarquía
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by MattDeLaAxarquía » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:10 am

Hi everyone,

New here - I’m claiming Irish citizenship via my Irish grandfather.

My current status:

Application submitted online: 22/12/23
Application and documents posted (tracked): 9/1/24
Application and documents received (according to tracking data): 12/1/24
Application and documents received (DFA email):

Thank you everyone for creating such an informative community here!

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:19 am

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:51 am
Robbiekeane wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
Robbiekeane wrote:
Paddystarni wrote:

Updated timeline

Certificate received:
From the website:

Jgclancy
No.You can send a notarized passport. Of that I am positive. It needs to be in color. The passport instructions clearly state in color. That's how I did it.

Jgclancy
Thanks for your help! Can I just ask where the passport instructions clearly state that a copy of passport is okay? This is what I see:

Photographic identification.
copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport from another country, or
original National ID card from another country, or
certified copy of Driving Licence from another country,* or
certified copy of Irish Driving Licence*
*Copies must be certified by a Garda, Solicitor, Notary or the Issuing Authority

From here: https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/passports ... n%20abroad

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:16 pm

wiivile wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:59 am
what does “notarized” mean in this case? what is the notary notarizing? at least where i live (NY) notaries aren’t permitted to say anything is a certified copy of anything… only the issuing authority can do that

btw i’m still paranoid about not writing the application number on the back of my FBR photo and would appreciate data points of anyone who definitely did or definitely didnt do that… they need to be clearer about the photo requirements in the instructions.
Notarize means getting a document stamped by a notary public. He witnesses your signature then stamps below it. They do NOT notarize an official copy of a document as being OFFICIAL. That is why there must be an added one or two line attestation.
The notary public is notarizing that the person is stating that it is a true, unaltered copy.

It is on the website:
What is a certified document?
A certified document is one that has been signed and dated by a recognised person or organisation as a true copy or translation of the original.

The following may qualify to make a certified copy of your document:

Organisation or authority that issued your original document
Solicitor/Barrister
Notary
Commissioner of Oaths
Post Office Service
A document will be considered certified/notarised where the following procedure has been adhered to:

Ask the person or organisation you have contacted to create a copy or translation of your document.
Then ask them to:

Write 'Certified to be a true copy/translation of the original seen by me' on the document.
Sign and date the document.
Print their name under the signature.
Add their occupation, address and telephone number.
Attach their stamp/seal, business card, or include their professional register reference number.

Jgclancy

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:38 pm

Robbiekeane wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:19 am
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:51 am
Robbiekeane wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
Robbiekeane wrote:
Paddystarni wrote:

Updated timeline

Certificate received:
From the website:

Jgclancy

Jgclancy
Thanks for your help! Can I just ask where the passport instructions clearly state that a copy of passport is okay? This is what I see:

Photographic identification.
copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport from another country, or
original National ID card from another country, or
certified copy of Driving Licence from another country,* or
certified copy of Irish Driving Licence*
*Copies must be certified by a Garda, Solicitor, Notary or the Issuing Authority

From here: https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/passports ... n%20abroad
The instructions do NOT state it at all. I can tell you that they do accept a notarized copy because I asked when I applied for my passport. I used a notarized color copy of my passport.Had no issues. If you have a notarized color copy of a Driver License you can use that which is acceptable as well.

Jgclancy

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:55 pm

For the above post about sending a notarized Driver License-that's in addition to sending the notarized passport. You don't have to but I'm sure it helps.

jgclancy

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:39 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:55 pm
For the above post about sending a notarized Driver License-that's in addition to sending the notarized passport. You don't have to but I'm sure it helps.

jgclancy
Very much appreciate your help, ill do that and let you know how I get on :)

Mark B
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mark B » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:07 pm

Mark B wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:25 pm
First post - today is the day the congrats email landed :D

Timeline:-

Application submitted online - 25/01/2023
Documents received: 15/03/23 (posted around 3 weeks before)
Address check: 05/12/23
Address confirmation sent via email: 05/12/23
Congratulations email: 03/01/24

The congrats email goes on to say my certificate has been printed and posted

A huge thanks to those on here for the valuable information and insight to the FBR process and the best of luck to those still on their FBR journey

Mark B
Slightly expanded timeline now my certificate has arrived

Application submitted online - 25/01/2023
Documents received: 15/03/23 (posted around 3 weeks before)
Address check: 05/12/23
Address confirmation sent via email: 05/12/23
Date of Register entry: 08/12/23
Congratulations email: 03/01/24
Certificate delivered week commencing Mon 08/01/2024

Never had a tracking number sent by the way!

Surreyfolk
Newly Registered
England

Post by Surreyfolk » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:33 pm

Application submitted 24/12/23
Documents arrived (Royal Mail tracker) 9/1/24

I used same document set successfully used by my brother. Will that speed things up at all do people think?

Somewhat nervous that they will find issues with my personal documents reading some of the pages.

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:05 pm

Paddystarni wrote:

Updated timeline

It’s here!!!

Updated timeline to follow.. Now on to the passport process!

Good luck everyone, hope yours arrives soon and thank you everyone for your help

All the best

Certificate received: 15/01/24

MastersP
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MastersP » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:30 pm

Hello all
Long time reading but today I registered.
My docs were received on 26/06/23 and seeing May getting address checks makes me smile.
Sometimes the wait is deafening but I am holding onto the fact that it’s generally 8-8.5 months until ADDRESS check if everything is in Order.
This site has been super helpful to keep updated with everyone’s timelines.

Yeluacam1997
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Yeluacam1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:52 pm

Hi All,

I want to express my gratitude for all the valuable information I've gathered by quietly observing this forum. Today, I received my confirmation email and decided to create an account just to say thank you. Reading about various experiences has been incredibly helpful and reassuring. When I initially submitted my application with my passport photo, I was a bit anxious, fearing that I might have cut the photo a bit unevenly. I worried it could potentially hinder the process, but thankfully, everything worked out.

I was a little bit stressed when I read another member did have an address check and then was told they needed more documents.

Application submitted: 22/03/2023
Documents sent: 25/03/2023
Application received: 05/04/2023
Address confirmation: 19/12/2023
Address confirmed: I did not receive a follow-up email. I did send confirmation of my address on the same day of 19/12/2023
Congratulations email: 18/01/2024 - I was also informed on the email that it has been printed and already has been posted.

I don't think my witness was ever contacted, as the witness never mentioned.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:01 pm

Robbiekeane wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:19 am

Thanks for your help! Can I just ask where the passport instructions clearly state that a copy of passport is okay?
I managed to dig out this from the final passport application paperwork - it's contradictory in places, however I took the below as being 'true' and it worked for me

When you apply you get a form and checklist to send to them - similar to FBR, and on the second page, it says this...
Government issued photo identification (Copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or original passport or National ID card from another country, or original Driving Licence). Please note: If resident outside of the State, certified copies of ID are accepted. A copy can be certified by a police officer, a solicitor, the witness who signs your Identity Verification Form, or by the issuing authority.
To echo the comments made elsewhere, it's certainly says elsewhere that original IDs are the only acceptable option - you can ignore this - I also followed jgclancys advice when I did it, and sent extra copies of IDs (Driving Licence and Passport)

Surreyfolk
Newly Registered
England

Post by Surreyfolk » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Application received 19/01/24

Quick question for wise - if there are issues with documentation, when might you hear about them?

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:27 pm

Surreyfolk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Quick question for wise - if there are issues with documentation, when might you hear about them?
When they start physically processing your application. The application sits in storage as they work through backlogs. Then some type of junior member will check through your application (and contact you at this stage, if needs be) before passing it on to a senior member or processing team.

Ironlung
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ironlung » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:31 am

Surreyfolk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:55 pm

I heard via email after nine months. It currently looks like issues add another 3-6 months on.

Kennygry69
Newly Registered
Mood:
Scotland

Post by Kennygry69 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:20 pm

Rxp2023 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:23 pm
Just an update on my timeline. I received my FBR certificate today so the wait is over, on to passport application. I would like to say good luck to everybody, especially those who are experiencing hold ups for various reasons, and thanks to everyone offering helpful advice and insight. I do believe in the majority of 'normal' cases, wait times have significantly reduced, mine has taken 10 months from docs received to cert received and I've noticed a few others with similar time scales.

I highly recommend REMOVED for anyone experiencing difficulty with research, documentation gathering, eligibility criteria or application assistance. I used them as my grandfather's birth was never registered with the civil authorities (all of his brothers and sisters were so it was doubly frustrating), they helped with all of the necessary research to apply for a late registration certificate, applied on my behalf and assisted with my FBR application to ensure everything was in order first time around. Pretty decent prices too and they were definitely a huge help for me.

Anyway, my timeline is as follows:

-Began amassing documents in January 2021
-No result returned when ordering grandfather's birth cert march 2021 (hit an impasse due to not being able to find any supporting baptismal certificate. (grandfather has been dead for a good few years and grandmother has dementia so unable to ask her important questions).
-Due to covid restrictions and hearing that they were not processing claims so decided to put it on ice/gave up hope.
-Found grandad's baptismal birth certificate feb 2022
-Contacted REMOVED feb 2022, started the ball tolling to use his baptismal certificate to create a civil birth certificate (there were some snags in this process as his parents never had their deaths formally registered).
-Birth registered in april 2022, birth certificate received may 2022
-Online FBR application - 12/05/22
-Docs received email - 02/06/22
-Address check email - 01/03/23
-Confirmation of FBR acceptance email - 02/03/23
-Congratulations/cert printed and posted email -23/03/23
-Certificate received - 30/03/23

Maybe a little TMI but if there's anything that somebody can glean from this, that's the idea. Good luck all!
Hi just starting the process and also only have a baptism certificate for my late Gran, can i ask where you applied for a late registration to allow the process to move forward.
Cheers Kenny.

huw-mungus
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by huw-mungus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm

Hi folks,

I am preparing to complete and submit my F.B.R application in the coming weeks, and I wanted to check in with you all to do some (somewhat) last minute double-checking to ensure I am not forgetting anything. At present, I plan to do the following:

1. Send all documents in a "please do not bend" envelope wherein there will be three plastic wallets for me, my father and Irish-born grandfather (all relevant documents will, of course, be divided to each generation).

2. Include a contents page in the envelope with my application (with application number).

3. Include my application number on the front of the envelope.

Aside from a change of name document, which clarifies the change in my grandfather's middle name from "Christopher" to "Stephen", I am sending all necessary documents first time. I imagine the absence of this document may cause a snag in my application processing, but I am beginning to be concerned I am looking for a document which, quite simply, may not exist.

Is there anything I have overlooked or do you have any further advice before I complete and submit my application?

Ambervanwyk
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ambervanwyk » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:58 pm

Hi All,

I will be applying for my 2 sons FBR soon. They are still minors.
From what I have read, it says I have to send through original passports and certificates and will only get them back after they have processed the application??
Is this correct, please advise.

Thank you