ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa transfer to new passport

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rishav
Newly Registered
India

Visa transfer to new passport

Post by Rishav » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:42 pm

I found my passport with a valid US Visa after having lost it initially. I now have a new passport as well. Can the existing visa on my previous passport be transferred to the new passport?

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Visa transfer to new passport

Post by lolo2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:06 pm

Have you reported the old passport - and/or the visa - as lost to the authorities (local, of the country of issuance, etc)?

You cannot "transfer" a visa from a passport to another. Normally you can travel with both passports and show to the US border officers the one with the stamped visa, as long as the visa is still valid (not expired and not reported as lost to the US authorities).

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Visa transfer to new passport

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:19 am

Don't forget,what makes a visa unique are the marginal annotations inscribed on the visa and the lower parts of any visa.
It contains, full name, DOB, passport number, nationality and the works. The minute you surgically "lift" it to another passport, it becomes invalid.

As advised, use both passports (new and old), provided visa remains valid.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!