ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lightfollower
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Travel after Citizenship Ceremony

Post by lightfollower » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:29 pm

Hello everyone,

Could anyone answer to my query.

Can I travel abroad on my home country passport straight after citizenship ceremony and after apply for British Passport?

Once I get the British passport, my brother will be bringing it and can i travel back to UK on new passport?

Any suggestions.

Kind regards

meself2
Ireland

Re: Travel after Citizenship Ceremony

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:02 pm

lightfollower wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:29 pm
Can I travel abroad on my home country passport straight after citizenship ceremony and after apply for British Passport?

Once I get the British passport, my brother will be bringing it and can i travel back to UK on new passport?
You have to send in all your valid passports to apply for a British passport - how do you plan to achieve that while using it for travel?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 pm

I trust you can still travel using your home country passport and you can apply for British Passport upon your return.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 pm

lightfollower wrote:
Hello everyone,

Could anyone answer to my query.

Any suggestions.

Kind regards

It is absolutely not advised to apply for your first passport from abroad. Members have reported that this put in doubt their future intentions to live in the UK. Travel with your present passport and the citizenship certificate in case border officials question your right to enter the country and apply for passport straight after you are back to the UK.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:59 am

MuhammadM86 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 pm
I trust you can still travel using your home country passport and you can apply for British Passport upon your return.
But he may not be able to enter the UK without a British passport. The ILR BRP becomes invalid after becoming a British citizen. And the BRP should be returned in 5 days.

lightfollower
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lightfollower » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:12 am

meself2 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:02 pm
lightfollower wrote:

You have to send in all your valid passports to apply for a British passport - how do you plan to achieve that while using it for travel?
If I have to send my original passport than I believe I shouldn't apply before travel.

lightfollower
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lightfollower » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:14 am

SupperDog wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:59 am
MuhammadM86 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 pm
But he may not be able to enter the UK without a British passport. The ILR BRP becomes invalid after becoming a British citizen. And the BRP should be returned in 5 days.
Yh you're right, I cannot enter just on a citizenship certificate. If i apply of course I will send my BRP but then I cannot come back until I get British passport.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 am

You would need your original passport too. People who need to travel very urgently after obtaining citizenship travel on their existing passport and bring the certificate to show border officials they have right to abode in the UK, and that usually works, to then apply for British passport straight away once back. Not something to do regularly, but can work for the one-off.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.