ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First adult passport after naturalization from abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Moki36
Newly Registered
Thailand

First adult passport after naturalization from abroad

Post by Moki36 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:50 pm

Hi everyone, I was recently naturalized in London, and due to my parents being hospitalized. I had to fly home immediately and I have now applied for my British passport from abroad. Then after applying, I read that this could become a horror show and the HMPO could refer to SRU and argue that you’re not intending to live in the country even though I am coming back in a month after my parents are discharged from the hospital.
It is worth mentioning that I applied on section 6(2) of nationality act and I have read horror stories on this forum for people who applied under section 6(1).
My partner is also travelIng with me to take care of my parents for this duration.
Does anyone have any experience? My passport has taken over 30 days now under examination and I still don’t have any news should I speak to a lawyer and start gathering evidence?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: First adult passport after naturalization from abroad

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:28 pm

You took a gamble, but as you are a spouse of British citizen (as you have applied under section 6(2)) the future intentions requirement doesn't apply to you. Weird it is taking this long, so worth trying to follow up and pointing this out.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Moki36
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Moki36 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:02 am

Thank you for your reply

As you rightly pointed out there is no legal requirement and I read that a lot of Indian nationals married to British spouses manage to apply abroad

I’m just wondering why it takes a month over sometimes 2 days for applications in uk

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:51 am

Applying for a passport from abroad normally takes a lot longer.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

abid004
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by abid004 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:24 pm

Hi just want to know my wife applying for her passport need to know about counter signatory is that be any friend holding British passport knowing her more than 2 years and doing any normal retail job ( not professional listed )

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:13 pm

abid004 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:24 pm
Hi just want to know my wife applying for her passport need to know about counter signatory is that be any friend holding British passport knowing her more than 2 years and doing any normal retail job ( not professional listed )
Must be a professional listed in the official list, a retail job won't cut it.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:16 pm

abid004 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:24 pm
No need to repeat your post - someone may/will respond:

counter-signatory refers to the paper application form - see the HMPO website on the subject:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passp ... essionally)
"be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession"
These are basically the people from the list of "acceptable professions".
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

abid004
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by abid004 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:53 am

Don’t understand of good person standing in community for me it be anyone not certain professions if they saying any friend or neighbour just good in community

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:56 am

We are just quoting from the guidance - if you think yours is ok go ahead, or if in doubt call the HMPO helpline.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:46 am

The HO has certain definitions of "good standing in their community" and it is the same used for citizenship. You can try to apply with any referee you would like, but the HO may request a different referee that complies with their definition.

Moki36
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Moki36 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 am

Hi guys

Sorry to go back to the original topic of this thread, do we know why it takes up to 16 weeks for applications from abroad whilst 2-3 days for in UK?

It can’t be the doc transit they arrive after 2-3 days with fedex or dhl

Any ideas?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:05 am

I don't think anyone can identify the reasons here - those are the standard processing times HMPO quotes, if applicants choose to apply from abroad they know they should expect a slower response. The standard processing times for applications in the country are of 3 weeks (though most applications are processed quicker than that).

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:07 pm

Moki36 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 am
Hi guys

Sorry to go back to the original topic of this thread, do we know why it takes up to 16 weeks for applications from abroad whilst 2-3 days for in UK?

It can’t be the doc transit they arrive after 2-3 days with fedex or dhl

Any ideas?
Same reason why processing a passport from your country of origin is slower at embassies than in-country. Bureaucracies and red tapes. Definitely worse for first passports.
The HO always advises that citizens get their first passport from the UK before jetting out.

As highlighted above, even in country isn't 2-3 days. Not sure where you got that from.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Moki36
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Moki36 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:11 pm

So I called HMPO and they said at 6 week mark you can pay to upgrade the processing?!

Has anyone does this? I doubt it applies to overseas first passport but 2 different people said it

Moki36
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Moki36 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:33 pm

They finally said not possible to do this it could take up to 20 weeks!

Anyone has any experience with this?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:01 pm

Moki36 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 am
Not impossible that the fact that the first passport is being applied from abroad may trigger additional scrutiny of both the application and of referees, etc. Referees within the UK and the professional bodies they need to belong to within the UK would be easier to get hold of, for a start.

It is known that applications for first British passport for British children born on the Subcontinent takes much longer (six months to a year) than a British citizen child born in Europe, for instance.

And as this thread points out, the Home Office has some legal leeway in discriminating between applications based on location.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.