ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LauHam
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by LauHam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:43 pm

This forum has been the source of much support, consolation (and sometimes anxiety seeing other people's timelines!) but today I finally post having received my Congratulations Email. I did a join application with both my brothers, our link was my grandfather from my mother's side, so was born in Ireland but for whom is estranged and we have no death certificate/don't know the place of death (he may still be alive but he'd be about 120...)

So, my timeline was as below.

Online applications submitted: 30/03/2021
Documents received: 17/08/2021 (delay in sending due to COVID)
Further document request: 5/01/2023 (they had lost my mother's birth certificate - sent another)
Further document request: 4/09/2023 (2 ID documents had expired over the processing time, so had to send new notarised copies)
Further document request: 6/11/2023 (proof of no death cert of grandfather)
Address confirmation email: 19/12/2023 (for 1/3 applications)
Address confirmation email: 19/12/2023 (for 2/3 applications)
Congratulations email: 22/01/2023 (for 1/3 applications - mine)
Congratulations email: 22/01/2023 (for 2/3 applications - TBC)

Thank you all! I will now hopefully move to the first time passport applicant's thread. :)

huw-mungus
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by huw-mungus » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:02 am

Ambervanwyk wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:58 pm
Hi All,

I will be applying for my 2 sons FBR soon. They are still minors.
From what I have read, it says I have to send through original passports and certificates and will only get them back after they have processed the application??
Is this correct, please advise.

Thank you
You will only need to send a photocopy of each of your son’s passports as a supporting document with their applications, rather than sending their physical passports. Said photocopies, as in outlined on the D.F.A website, must be notarised as true photocopies of your sons’ passports by your chosen witness.

In terms of certificates, yes, you will be sent these back upon the (hopefully successful) completion of your F.B.R application process.

external_repeat
Newly Registered
England

Post by external_repeat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:18 am

Does anyone know whether it is absolutely required for your parent to register themselves on the FBR before you were born? Some of the guidance online seems to be confusing - ie this language:
If you were born outside of Ireland and your parent (who was also born outside of Ireland) was an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.
I will post the link if anyone asks for it - sometimes forum software does not like new members posting links. But it is from an official source. Anyway, it seems to imply that because my father was entitled to Irish citizenship when I was born, I'm also entitled to Irish citizenship. Has anyone else had success with a case like this?

My great grandfather was born in Wales. My father registered on the FBR in 1989 and I was born in 1985.

ferocious12

FBR timeline

Post by ferocious12 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:04 pm

Hi All

Just want to share timeline for my daughter:

Documents received: 08/09/2022
Additional document request: 08/08/2023
Additional document received: 16/08/2023
Address confirmation email: 08/08/2023 (it was asked in the email with additional documents)

Congratulations email: Never received

FBR certificate was issued on 1 Dec 2023 but I was never notified. I only came to know when I sent a follow up email on 22 Jan 2024 and got email today that FBR is received by the embassy (possibly both dept and embassy forgot to inform me)

Thanks all. This group was helpful all along !

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:43 pm

external_repeat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:18 am
My great grandfather was born in Wales. My father registered on the FBR in 1989 and I was born in 1985.
Unfortunately your Irish citizen parent needs to be registered before you were born. So any children before 1989 would not be eligible. But those after 1989 would be eligible for foreign birth registration.

Tell32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Tell32 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:42 pm

Just got the email saying my application was received.

Application submitted online: Dec. 23rd 2023
Application mailed: Jan. 5th 2024
Application delivered according to USPS tracking: Jan. 10th
Application Received email from dfa.ie: Jan 23rd.

For other folks mailing from US who are worried about the customs fee that the receiver pays, I just put 3 items on the customs form (FBR application, plastic folder, and passport photos) with minimal $ value, and it seemed to work out as they sent the received confirmation email.

Cowens02
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Cowens02 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:13 am

I have a question as I’m a bit confused. My mother, who has since passed was born to Irish parents in the US. She never registered her birth to the FBR, but my understanding is that if she was born to parents that were Irish citizens born in Ireland she is automatically entitled to citizenship and was an Irish citizen.

My question is, could I register my birth with the FBR and gain citizenship through her as my parent who is an Irish citizen? And furthermore, could my children claim citizenship through her even though she was not born in Ireland but based on this from the Irish government was considered a citizen?

“ If you were born outside of Ireland and your parent (who was also born outside of Ireland) was an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.”

She was born outside Ireland and technically entitled to be an Irish citizen because her parents were then I could become one by registering with the FBR, right?

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 am

Cowens02 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:13 am
I have a question as I’m a bit confused. My mother, who has since passed was born to Irish parents in the US. She never registered her birth to the FBR, but my understanding is that if she was born to parents that were Irish citizens born in Ireland she is automatically entitled to citizenship and was an Irish citizen.

My question is, could I register my birth with the FBR and gain citizenship through her as my parent who is an Irish citizen? And furthermore, could my children claim citizenship through her even though she was not born in Ireland but based on this from the Irish government was considered a citizen?

“ If you were born outside of Ireland and your parent (who was also born outside of Ireland) was an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.”

She was born outside Ireland and technically entitled to be an Irish citizen because her parents were then I could become one by registering with the FBR, right?
Your mother was Irish at birth. You can register on the FBR courtesy of your Irish born grandparent, providing you can prove the relationship with birth death and marriage certs. Your children aren’t eligible as they are born before you are registered. Children born after you register are eligible to register on FBR themselves.

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:32 pm

Paddystarni wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:05 pm
Paddystarni wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 pm
Woohoo!!! Received the congratulations email today! The certs have been printed and posted. I’ll check the tracking they provided tomorrow as it’s not updated yet!

Updated timeline

Application submitted: 03/09/22
Documents sent: 23/02/23
Application received: 20/03/23
Address confirmation: 9/12/23
Address confirmed 14/12/23
Confirmation applications have been approved 15/12/23
Congratulations email: 10/01/24

It’s here!!!

Updated timeline to follow.. Now on to the passport process!

Good luck everyone, hope yours arrives soon and thank you everyone for your help

All the best

Application submitted: 03/09/22
Documents sent: 23/02/23
Application received: 20/03/23
Address confirmation: 9/12/23
Address confirmed 14/12/23
Confirmation applications have been approved 15/12/23
Congratulations email: 10/01/24
Certificate received: 15/01/24
Amazing that you got yours so quickly! Do you mind me asking where yours was travelling to from Dublin?

I’m in Australia and I can get no update from AnPost after 12th January where it just says it’s left Dublin.

I’m getting very nervous…it would be just my luck the way this process has gone for this to get lost in the post now…

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 pm

Tell32 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:42 pm
Just got the email saying my application was received.

Application submitted online: Dec. 23rd 2023
Application mailed: Jan. 5th 2024
Application delivered according to USPS tracking: Jan. 10th
Application Received email from dfa.ie: Jan 23rd.

For other folks mailing from US who are worried about the customs fee that the receiver pays, I just put 3 items on the customs form (FBR application, plastic folder, and passport photos) with minimal $ value, and it seemed to work out as they sent the received confirmation email.
If there are just documents there should be no added fee. Just declare " documents for FBR" ...Oh, and count them. They want to know how many in total.

Jgclancy

Jgclancy

jc_141
Newly Registered
England

Post by jc_141 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:50 am

Application submitted online: 11th Apr 2023
Application mailed: Apr 23
Application Received email from dfa.ie: 1st May 2023
Congratulations email: 24th January 2024

MattDeLaAxarquía
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by MattDeLaAxarquía » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:05 pm

MattDeLaAxarquía wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:10 am
Hi everyone,

New here - I’m claiming Irish citizenship via my Irish grandfather.

My current status:

Application submitted online: 22/12/23
Application and documents posted (tracked): 9/1/24
Application and documents received (according to tracking data): 12/1/24
Application and documents received (DFA email):

Thank you everyone for creating such an informative community here!
My current status:

Application submitted online: 22/12/23
Application and documents posted (tracked): 9/1/24
Application and documents received (according to tracking data): 12/1/24
Application and documents received (DFA email): 25/1/24

sacho
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sacho » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:55 am

Hi everyone,

I've been tracking this thread for a while. It's been a great help for me.
We applied for our two children (one adult and one minor) through their Irish grandmother.

Here's a timeline.

-Application submitted online: April 6, 2023
-Documents sent: April 11, 2023
-Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: April 24, 2023
-Address confirmation email: Dec 6, 2023
-Congrats email: Jan 4, 2024
-FBR certificate received: Jan 12, 2024 (for adult child)
-FBR certificate received: Jan 15, 2024 (for minor child)

So altogether, it took a little over 9 months. Not too bad.
We've just sent off their passport applications today.

Hope it's helpful for you.
Good luck to you all!

Sacho

silverbullet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by silverbullet » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:44 am

Online applications submitted: 20/09/2021
Documents delivered: 17/06/2023 (originally thought you had to send off original docs so left it, did some digging and eventually sent docs off)

Expected Parent email sent: 29/12/23
Application approved: 02/01/24 (On register)
Congratulations email: 19/01/2024
Certificate received: 25/01/24

bleacher
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bleacher » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:44 pm

Hi all,

Long-time lurker - this thread's been so useful, so thanks for all your answers. I recently got my FBR certificate and I'm ready to apply for my Irish passport. My dad wants to get his too, and since most of the documents needed will be the same, it'd be great to save on time and postage if we can. Does anyone know if it's possible to send everything in the same envelope with a note explaining it's for two applications? I've looked but not been able to find anything about it on the website.

Similarly, I've seen folks here saying a witnessed/notarised copy of a passport can be sent in place of an actual passport, but so far haven't seen anything on the website confirming that. Just wondered if anyone has sent a copy but subsequently been asked to physically send their passport. I'd obviously prefer not to be without my passport, but if they're going to ask for it anyway, I might as well just send it. If a copy is okay, does the same list of acceptable witnesses as were given for the FBR documents apply here?

Thanks so much!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:25 pm

bleacher wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:44 pm
Hi all,

Long-time lurker - this thread's been so useful, so thanks for all your answers. I recently got my FBR certificate and I'm ready to apply for my Irish passport. My dad wants to get his too, and since most of the documents needed will be the same, it'd be great to save on time and postage if we can. Does anyone know if it's possible to send everything in the same envelope with a note explaining it's for two applications? I've looked but not been able to find anything about it on the website.

Similarly, I've seen folks here saying a witnessed/notarised copy of a passport can be sent in place of an actual passport, but so far haven't seen anything on the website confirming that. Just wondered if anyone has sent a copy but subsequently been asked to physically send their passport. I'd obviously prefer not to be without my passport, but if they're going to ask for it anyway, I might as well just send it. If a copy is okay, does the same list of acceptable witnesses as were given for the FBR documents apply here?

Thanks so much!
From what I remember the application is specific to each person. So the barcode they provide will be to the individuals application. Your cover page & ID Verification form (you download from them in the online application process) is linked to you the applicant only. Notorised copies of passport etc are accepted (I have not seen anyone from the UK have a copy of their passport rejected).

Nub40
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nub40 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:55 am

external_repeat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:18 am
Does anyone know whether it is absolutely required for your parent to register themselves on the FBR before you were born? Some of the guidance online seems to be confusing - ie this language:
If you were born outside of Ireland and your parent (who was also born outside of Ireland) was an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.
Yes, I would also like to know the situation for my children. It looks as though my wife and I are both eligible to be citizens through our respective grandparents, who were born in Ireland.

However, it seems to leave the situation that our children, who are all under 5, wouldn't be entitled as we had not registered as a foreign births before they were born. That to me seems a little strange, if both your parents are eligible but the children aren't. I understand there must be a cut off, but I would be interested to know if there were any avenues open for my children.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:00 pm

Nub40 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:55 am
However, it seems to leave the situation that our children, who are all under 5, wouldn't be entitled as we had not registered as a foreign births before they were born. That to me seems a little strange, if both your parents are eligible but the children aren't. I understand there must be a cut off, but I would be interested to know if there were any avenues open for my children.
Sadly, for those not born on the Island of Ireland, it cuts off after the second generation (Grandson/Daughter) unless the parent was on the FBR before birth - I can relate to your frustration, but I suppose they have to cut it off somewhere (I think the Italians have a much more generous system).

Even compared to most other countries, granting citizenship to two generations who might have never lived in Ireland is very generous and unusual. The system does allow for unlimited ‘passing on of citizenship’ as long as it’s all registered in time - again very unusual.

This said, there is a Citizenship through association, which can potentially grant citizenship to anyone with association, but they do specifically note that 'Applications based on descent from an Irish citizen going further back than a great-grandparent are generally refused' and there might be conditions of living in Ireland for a time.

See here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... %20citizen.

huw-mungus
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by huw-mungus » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:49 pm

After putting my F.B.R application on ice for ~18 months, due to slight document discrepancies for my grandfather, I have finally completed and submitted my application. Wish me luck!

Application submitted online: 26.01.24
Posted:
Documents received:
Address check:
Congratulations email:
Certificate received:

I’d be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the F.B.R process.

MeganN
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by MeganN » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:18 pm

Update on my application - finally received a congratulations email today. Here is my timeline:

Docs received 05 April 2023
Address check 01 December 2023
Nothing came through even after Christmas so I sent an email query on 12 January 2024
15 January 2024 Received an email from my case manager to say my address email had gotten lost in the festive season and they were working on it
Confirmation email today 01 February 2024 - email said application approved and the certificate is in the printing queue. I was provided with a tracking number and informed that when the documents were posted I would get an email.

So happy and relieved!

bell123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bell123321 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:39 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to start my application, applying via grandfather who was born in Belfast 1932 (From what I read I can apply for foreign birth registration).

However, on the page about my grandfather under county of birth it does not list Belfast or Northern Ireland. How have others proceeded from this page?

On the first page for my parent I selected "born abroad to a parent born in Ireland". Thank you in advance.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 pm

bell123321 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:39 pm
Hi all,

I am trying to start my application, applying via grandfather who was born in Belfast 1932 (From what I read I can apply for foreign birth registration).

However, on the page about my grandfather under county of birth it does not list Belfast or Northern Ireland. How have others proceeded from this page?

On the first page for my parent I selected "born abroad to a parent born in Ireland". Thank you in advance.
Belfast is in county Antrim/Down, so there won't be an explicit mention of Belfast.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

bell123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bell123321 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:11 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 pm
bell123321 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:39 pm
Hi all,

Belfast is in county Antrim/Down, so there won't be an explicit mention of Belfast.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast
Your a star thank you!

bell123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bell123321 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:50 pm

Hi all, sorry another question.

I have now paid and will be getting an accountant friend to be my witness of me signing the application and to sign for the photos, and photocopy of my passport. He works for a big UK company but does not have a stamp or business card, he is able to print on company letter head which the application form says is acceptable instead of a stamp.

If anyone has done this method what does he need to say on the company letter head? Sorry if this is a silly question I just want to ensure I get it all correct hopefully first time.

Thank you in advance for any help.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 pm

bell123321 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Hi all, sorry another question.

I have now paid and will be getting an accountant friend to be my witness of me signing the application and to sign for the photos, and photocopy of my passport. He works for a big UK company but does not have a stamp or business card, he is able to print on company letter head which the application form says is acceptable instead of a stamp.

If anyone has done this method what does he need to say on the company letter head? Sorry if this is a silly question I just want to ensure I get it all correct hopefully first time.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Witness should state qualification as a witness, that you are not related, how long you have known each other , the photographs are of the applicant and that he has witnessed you sign the application.
Make sure it has work address and phone #s. Include any other phone # available as well.
I helped a cousin and she used an accountant as well. He used the letter method since no stamp/card.
He also included a copy of his Degree in Accounting which was nice.
I also had the witness notarize the letter but I tell people to notarize everything they can. :)
jgclancy