ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No relationship with grandfather

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nub40
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

No relationship with grandfather

Post by Nub40 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:27 am

Hi all,

I recently looked at some old paperwork of my Mum's and have been doing a bit of ancestry.com and the father's name on her birth certificate is a man from Dublin. To my memory as a child, I had no knowledge or relationship with this man and he subsequently appears to have died in London.

Now my Mum died young, when I was a teenager, so I have nobody that I can ask about all of this (I don't have a relationship with my own dad). But can I apply to be on the foreign births register? Her name tally's up with his name and again, her maiden name is on my birth certificate. But like a I say, I don't know who this person is or whether or not he is even my biological grandfather. Does this matter? I wouldn't want to break any rules.

I do have ties with Ireland in other ways, my (half) sister has Irish heritage as does my wife. Anyway, it sounds a bit messy but there it is. Any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: No relationship with grandfather

Post by Vadrar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:39 am

Do you have your mother’s birth and death certificates? Follow those back to get your grandparents birth and death certificate. You’l need it for the FBR application and it will clarify your ancestral line.

You don’t need permission from anyone to order these certificates as long as you can prove they are your relation - that’s why you start with yourself and your mother and work your way back.

Until you have everyone’s birth and death certs you won’t know if you can apply. While you are at it, get everyone’s marriage certs as you’ll need them too (even if names don’t change).

Nub40
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nub40 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:53 am

Hi thanks for replying.

Yes, I have my mother's birth and death certificate already. I will order her marriage certificate and "grandfathers" death certificate. My wife already sent away for his birth certificate because we were interested in looking at it and the file wouldn't open on ancestry!

I think the paperwork will tally, but my main concern is I have no idea who this person was and there may be a possibility he may not be biologically related to me (my grandmother had several children out of wedlock to different people). I wanted to know if that was problematic

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 am

The paperwork is determinative as far as FBR is concerned. Whoever is named as parent/grandparent is regarded as your ancestral line. There’s no DNA checks, and indeed DNR proof isn’t accepted.

You don’t need to know the person or have their permission to apply for FBR. As long as paperwork supports your case you can apply. If an ancestor is still alive you are meant to supply a copy of ID (which is easier if you have permission/a relationship) but it doesn’t sound that will be necessary for you in any case.

Nub40
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nub40 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:05 am

That's fantastic to know, thanks very much for that.