ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certified passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wynelson
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Certified passport

Post by wynelson » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:13 pm

I am applying online, going to see a solicitor tomorrow to certify my passport.

I want to know how the solicitor certifies the passport.

I saw two versions, one is colour copy a passport and write" conform that......it is a true copy' then signature. All on the same page.

Another version I saw is colour copy a passport, Then attach a form called certified copy of passport. the solicitor will write the passport number and sign to confirm it is a true copy.

Sorry don't know how to attach a photo of both versions to explain.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Certified passport

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:50 pm

I know what form you mean - it was at the beginning of old Form 8, paper based.

I don't think you have to explicitly use the form, especially since its no longer available.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:20 pm

Are you applying online for naturalisation or for an Irish passport? If naturalisation you should start your application by setting up an online account. The passport certification form is linked there (on introduction tab by memory) within the form. Print it out and get it signed at same time as your passport copy of certified.

You need to use this form specifically, free-form text won’t work. You’ll also need a certified copy of your passport.

But starting your account you’ll also be directed to a link that spells out all the documents you need specific to you application type.

wynelson
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by wynelson » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:02 am

HI, I opened an account alreday.
The form is under the supporting document Tab, I highlighted the word yellow is the link to access form.
1. Is that what you mean?
2. It doesn't need to be photocopied as the same page of paper of the passport, right?

>>Please ensure that you upload all required documents.

Please note that copies of Passports and Birth Certificates have to be certified by notary public, commissioner for oaths, peace commissioner or solicitor.

Your passport copy must be uploaded along with the completed certification form under proof of Identity.

Immigration reserve the right to request further documentation or information where it is deemed necessary.

Immigration reserve the right to request originals at any time.>>

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:13 am

Yes that’s the form. Print a copy on one sheet A4, photocopy your passport on another sheet. Passport details are written into form by solicitor. You’ll need to digitally merge (and possibly compress if needed) the 2 completed pages into one doc when you upload.

wynelson
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by wynelson » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 am

Thank you. You are a star!

wynelson
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by wynelson » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:25 am

Still more questions
1. About 3 years residency period, I came here in Dec 2020, I am going to apply in Feb 2024 which is more than 3 years residency. Do I just pick any continuously 3 years residency or I have to start to count back 3 years from the day I apply.

2. I have an original birth cert not in English, I have translated and notorized in my country 6 years ago. Is it any time limit for the translation to be notorized? Do I need to get the translation certified by a solicitor here? But Feel strange to get a solicitor to certify something has been notorized.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:49 am

Your reckonable residency is counted back from day of application.

For naturalisation, certification of copies should be done by people authorised in Ireland. So you’ll need an Irish solicitor or eg peace commissioner. They check that verifiers are registered in Ireland. Different for FBR, where they’ll accept foreign certified if they çan verify their international registration. I’d also get it translated domestically if possible.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:57 am

To add, certification lasts as long as underlying document is valid. So it isn’t the date of certification, but the country of authorisation for the verifier that is the thing here.

Best case with a foreign certification is it slows it down by months. Worst case is it is rejected and you’d get a request for replacement docs, or originals. It could easily add 9 months or more to total processing time.

wynelson
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by wynelson » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:54 am

I am living in Northern Ireland.

1. Can Northern Irish solicitor certify my passport and birth cert?

2. To be sure, I am going to get my birth cert translated again. Does it have to be translated in Republic of Ireland?

3.Does the Northern Irish solicitor need to certify the translated copy after?

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:12 am

1. Should be fine
2. ROI would be best, but NI likely fine if using registered translators that can be verified by public registry.
3. Yes, original and translation should both be certified. a registered translator should be providing the certification for translation .

wynelson
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by wynelson » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:19 am

Million thanks!