ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Issued ILR can i travel within the 12 month before applying citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dozz
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Issued ILR can i travel within the 12 month before applying citizenship?

Post by Dozz » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 am

Hi all,

I have just been issued with ILR/ settled status. Was previously married to an EU- person. Granted 5 years card in 2018 Which expired last year Sept 2023.

Then I applied for settled status and was granted this month and the new ILR card given to me this month will expire in December this year. When can I apply for naturalisation/ for citizenship? What month please?

Also can I travel for holiday outside the UK before applying for citizenship or do I have to stay continuously in the UK for that 12 months of holding ILR/settle status before applying for citizenship?

Or will I be disqualified when I want to apply for citizenship for stepping out of the UK? I only want to travel for holidays and come back as I have employment here in the UK. Thank you 🙏🏾

Thank you 🙏🏾

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Issued ILR can i travel within the 12 month before applying citizenship?

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:33 am

You are free to travel.

If your spouse ia not british you must wait 12 months on ILR or settled status before you can apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Issued ILR can i travel within the 12 month before applying citizenship?

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 am

Dozz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 am
Hi all,

I have just been issued with ILR/ settled status. Was previously married to an EU- person. Granted 5 years card in 2018 Which expired last year Sept 2023.

Then I applied for settled status and was granted this month and the new ILR card given to me this month will expire in December this year. When can I apply for naturalisation/ for citizenship? What month please?

Also can I travel for holiday outside the UK before applying for citizenship or do I have to stay continuously in the UK for that 12 months of holding ILR/settle status before applying for citizenship?

Or will I be disqualified when I want to apply for citizenship for stepping out of the UK? I only want to travel for holidays and come back as I have employment here in the UK. Thank you 🙏🏾

Thank you 🙏🏾

You have to wait 12 months from your grant of settled status. The month depends on when you were told your settled status was granted, which I imagine is January, so you will be able to apply in January 2025. You can be out of the country up to 90 days in the 12 months leading to your application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.