ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering the UK with a child that was born in Greece

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Charlee1985
Newly Registered
Greece

Entering the UK with a child that was born in Greece

Post by Charlee1985 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:13 pm

My wife and I are both dual citizens of Greece and the UK (by naturalisation) and we reside permanently in the UK. We are expecting a baby in May and we have decided to have the delivery in Greece. We plan to return to the UK with the baby in October.

I was wondering what is the best travel document for our baby to enter the UK with us. Could it enter with a Greek passport?

According to my understanding, our baby will acquire British citizenship by descent. However, we will not be staying near Athens, so it will be challenging and time-consuming for us to apply for a British passport via the embassy. Is there an alternative way for our baby to enter the UK and then apply for a passport?

Thanks for the help :D

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Entering the UK with a child that was born in Greece

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:20 pm

You cannot apply for a British passport at the embassy. Only online at HMPO.
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:35 pm

Charlee1985 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:13 pm
Could it enter with a Greek passport?
Yes, but you might have to clarify this on the border.
Better to get a passport.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Charlee1985
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by Charlee1985 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:00 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:20 pm
You cannot apply for a British passport at the embassy. Only online at HMPO.
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Oh I've read somewhere that you need to send docs to the embassy. Might have been for registration though and not for passport.

If the whole process is done online, getting a British passport while we still in Greece might be the safest solution then

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 pm

Note that if the child is born in Greece, the child will be a British citizen by descent and will not be able to automatically pass on British citizenship to their own children born outside the UK.

British citizenship is restricted to one generation born outside the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.