ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

merits of joint UK citizenship application (parent - child)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AntoniusBlock
Newly Registered
Greece

merits of joint UK citizenship application (parent - child)

Post by AntoniusBlock » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am

I have been living in the UK for the past ~15 years, and acquired the British citizenship by naturalisation in 2021. On this year, but before acquiring the citizenship, my child was born in my home country, and, after her birth, she travelled directly to the UK and has been living permanently here since. My spouse (=her mother) is also a long-term UK resident with only settled status who now decided to apply for citizenship.

My question is if there is any benefit in submitting a joint application, as opposed to my spouse applying for herself and myself applying for my daughter;
-will the outcome of one affect the outcome of the other? (suppose my wife's is unsuccessful - would this affect my child's?)
-is there any reduction in the application costs for a joint one (parent+child)?

secret.simon

Re: merits of joint UK citizenship application (parent - child)

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:52 am

AntoniusBlock wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am
-is there any reduction in the application costs for a joint one (parent+child)?
No difference in costs.

Even if you apply for the two together, it is possible that the application will processed and decided separately.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:57 am

AntoniusBlock wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am
I have been living in the UK for the past ~15 years, and acquired the British citizenship by naturalisation in 2021. On this year, but before acquiring the citizenship, my child was born in my home country, and, after her birth, she travelled directly to the UK and has been living permanently here since. My spouse (=her mother) is also a long-term UK resident with only settled status who now decided to apply for citizenship.

My question is if there is any benefit in submitting a joint application, as opposed to my spouse applying for herself and myself applying for my daughter;
-will the outcome of one affect the outcome of the other? (suppose my wife's is unsuccessful - would this affect my child's?)
All applications are treated independently on their own merits and different timelines. Any combination would have the same cost and no guarantee on speeding up timelines.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AntoniusBlock
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by AntoniusBlock » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:29 pm

Thank you both very much for your answers.

I understand that the two outcomes are independent of each other and that there is no difference in costs. Bottomline, is there any incentive at all that I am missing in doing a joint application?

Many thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:41 pm

AntoniusBlock wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:29 pm
Thank you both very much for your answers.

I understand that the two outcomes are independent of each other and that there is no difference in costs. Bottomline, is there any incentive at all that I am missing in doing a joint application?

Many thanks again.
No incentive as such. Benefit is you only complete one form, as you add the child to the parents application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.