ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation timeline worries (Update)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation timeline worries (Update)

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:34 pm

tstrassberger wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:21 pm
MuhammadM86 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:29 am
Surely there should be away out of this. HO can’t just keep delaying the decision without explanation etc. I found this link that lists 6 things you can do in a situation like this. You can even consider taking the HO to court.
Third patry solicitor weblink removed by Moderator
What are the six things to do? The link was removed so I can't see your suggestions.
The board rules don't allow third party links, incl. social media links, recommendations of third party services, etc.
Links to official government material, immigration and other relevant charities, etc excepted.

Most of the points mentioned above are already followed by members here ad infinitum.
These points are nothing special and could probably be applied to many interactions with government.
In general the last three take a long time and probably most people will have had their decision long before it gets anywhere:
Contact UK Visas and Immigration for Assistance
Complain About UK Visas and Immigration (to UKVI)
Contact Your Local MP
Complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Pre-Action Protocol Letter
Judicial Review
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:06 pm

After tons of emails I got this generic response, now is probably going to take months and months til I get my approval 😩

Thank you for your correspondence requesting progress on your application for naturalisation as a British citizen. apologise for the delay in replying.
can confirm that the application is in process and that decisions on applications are usually made within six months.
Tam sorry the application is taking longer than usual to be processed. As you may be aware, naturalisation is not an automatic process, and we have to make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants can satisfy the statutory requirements. We do not, ourselves, carry out these checks and we cannot, therefore, be sure how long they will take in each case and cannot offer a date of completion.
The Home Office will endeavour to process applications as quickly as possible but in the current circumstances, applications will take longer than normal to process, including applications for British Citizenship.
Please be assured that as soon as we are in a position to reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.

Odd-Ordinary8417
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Odd-Ordinary8417 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:52 am

Bibivaly wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:06 pm
After tons of emails I got this generic response, now is probably going to take months and months til I get my approval 😩

Thank you for your correspondence requesting progress on your application for naturalisation as a British citizen. apologise for the delay in replying.
can confirm that the application is in process and that decisions on applications are usually made within six months.
Tam sorry the application is taking longer than usual to be processed. As you may be aware, naturalisation is not an automatic process, and we have to make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants can satisfy the statutory requirements. We do not, ourselves, carry out these checks and we cannot, therefore, be sure how long they will take in each case and cannot offer a date of completion.
The Home Office will endeavour to process applications as quickly as possible but in the current circumstances, applications will take longer than normal to process, including applications for British Citizenship.
Please be assured that as soon as we are in a position to reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.
yeah typical auto response, they have an internal issue with application management and after seeing enough people with similar "IT issue" , it is frustrating that they are responding to newer applications within or over 3 months time and yet July and some older applicants are still waiting for any response at all. HO asking applicants for biometrics months after their confirmed appointments shows there is some internal case management issue. Hope everything gets resolves for everyone.

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:25 pm

Today my MP received the same response for my application

As part of the application process, we routinely conduct enquiries with other government departments and external agencies. The extent and length of time taken to complete these varies according to the particular circumstances of each application. The progress of these checks is regularly monitored. So far, the enquiries have not been completed with regard to Mr xxxxx application. As soon as we are in a position to reach a decision we will notify him accordingly.

tstrassberger
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tstrassberger » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:18 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 am
tstrassberger wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:08 pm
I applied in August 2022. Submitted biometrics in London 4 weeks after application at first available free appointment. I was told in February 2023, from Further Nationality Enquiries that all was proceeding without a problem, even though it was 6 months since application. In September 2023, I was informed that I needed to have my biometrics taken. I forwarded them proof from the UKCVAS that I had done it. I'm told there is an IT Issue and my application cannot go to a caseworker until this is resolved. We are now 16 months since my application, and still no news. Does anyone have any more advice? I've written once a month to FNE email, my MP got the same response of 'IT Issues'. Nationality Biometrics says they have 'chased the issue' but that was in early November and no further updates. I will write to the other email addresses I've found here. The UKVI complaint department also told me there is nothing that can be done! So frustrating.
Did you request for or were you told how to go about providing your biometrics again? A booking with UKVCAS or an appointment or arrangement made by ukvi for such?

They kept saying that I can't do anything about it. I UKCVAS won't give me an appointment as they say they sent my biometrics in October 2022 to UKVI. I got an email from 'Nationality Biometrics' on Jan 14 saying ' I apologise for the delay in replying.
Our records show that the biometric information has been received and your application is in a queue awaiting allocation to a case working team.
At the moment we have to make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants can satisfy the statutory requirements. Some of these enquiries are carried out by external agencies and it may take longer for them to complete.
We will endeavour to conclude your application at the earliest opportunity and we will write to you again as soon as the necessary checks are complete. Please be assured that, as soon as we are in a position to reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.
I hope this is of assistance to you.

So some standard reply, but perhaps it means my biometrics have finally been received into the system. Previously, I was told that as soon as the IT Issue had been resolved, then they would prioritise my case to the caseworking team, but I am not sure that us happening. Nearing Month 18 since application date.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:51 pm

That sounds like progress, though frustrating they haven't allocated a caseworker yet. At least you know they will actually examine your case now.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:53 pm

tstrassberger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:18 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
tstrassberger wrote:
I applied in August 2022. Submitted biometrics in London 4 weeks after application at first available free appointment. I was told in February 2023, from Further Nationality Enquiries that all was proceeding without a problem, even though it was 6 months since application. In September 2023, I was informed that I needed to have my biometrics taken. I forwarded them proof from the UKCVAS that I had done it. I'm told there is an IT Issue and my application cannot go to a caseworker until this is resolved. We are now 16 months since my application, and still no news. Does anyone have any more advice? I've written once a month to FNE email, my MP got the same response of 'IT Issues'. Nationality Biometrics says they have 'chased the issue' but that was in early November and no further updates. I will write to the other email addresses I've found here. The UKVI complaint department also told me there is nothing that can be done! So frustrating.
Did you request for or were you told how to go about providing your biometrics again? A booking with UKVCAS or an appointment or arrangement made by ukvi for such?

They kept saying that I can't do anything about it. I UKCVAS won't give me an appointment as they say they sent my biometrics in October 2022 to UKVI. I got an email from 'Nationality Biometrics' on Jan 14 saying ' I apologise for the delay in replying.
Our records show that the biometric information has been received and your application is in a queue awaiting allocation to a case working team.
At the moment we have to make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants can satisfy the statutory requirements. Some of these enquiries are carried out by external agencies and it may take longer for them to complete.
We will endeavour to conclude your application at the earliest opportunity and we will write to you again as soon as the necessary checks are complete. Please be assured that, as soon as we are in a position to reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.

So some standard reply, but perhaps it means my biometrics have finally been received into the system. Previously, I was told that as soon as the IT Issue had been resolved, then they would prioritise my case to the caseworking team, but I am not sure that us happening. Nearing Month 18 since application date.
Application making its way through the labyrinth. Haven stayed so long, keep checking to see if this could make them act faster.

sostresseddd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sostresseddd » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:53 am

Just posting here as I am also a July 2023 applicant (submitted 10.07.23 and biometrics 14.07.23). After following up twice with the FNE email, I got this (standard) response today:

I can confirm that your application is currently being processed, and decisions on applications are usually taken within six months from the application date.

I am sorry your application is taking longer than expected. As you may be aware, the approval of a British citizenship application is not an automatic process. We must make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants satisfy statutory requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and the policy which governs decisions taking using this Act. Some enquiries can sometimes take longer than anticipated, and therefore some applications may take more than six months to decide.

Please be advised that your email has been forwarded to your case working team, who are aware that you have enquired about the progress of your current application. They will endeavor to conclude your application at the earliest opportunity once the enquiries have been completed and will contact you if any further information or documents are required to consider your application.

Please note that emails sent from the Nationality Casework teams could arrive at your email account and then may be redirected to your spam/junk email folder/s by your mailbox provider. You are advised to regularly check these folders for emails from your allocated caseworker/case working team.

Please be assured that, as soon as we can reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.

I am inclined to get my MP involved but having seen the discussion here, I am sure he will also be sent the same standard response as above so it’s just a waiting game for us unfortunately. :cry:

toofunky2000
United Kingdom

Post by toofunky2000 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi all,

Received this email from MMST yesterday.

We aim to process all applications within 6 months from the date submitted. However, in certain circumstances this target is not possible. Following our assessment of your case, unfortunately it appears your application will not be processed within the 6-month target.

By way of background, naturalisation is not an automatic process, and we have to make a number of enquiries before we can reach a decision on whether to grant citizenship.

The nature and extent of those enquiries, and the length of time taken to complete them, varies according to the particular circumstance of each application.

The progress of outstanding enquiries is regularly monitored with the agencies carrying out these enquiries on our behalf. It is only when we have the results of the enquiries that we can reach a decision on whether citizenship should be granted. We do not, ourselves, carry out these checks and we cannot, therefore, be sure how long they will take in each case.

Can't do much so waiting....

barabimbarabom
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by barabimbarabom » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:45 pm

sostresseddd wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:53 am
Just posting here as I am also a July 2023 applicant (submitted 10.07.23 and biometrics 14.07.23). After following up twice with the FNE email, I got this (standard) response today:

I can confirm that your application is currently being processed, and decisions on applications are usually taken within six months from the application date.

I am sorry your application is taking longer than expected. As you may be aware, the approval of a British citizenship application is not an automatic process. We must make a number of enquiries to ensure that applicants satisfy statutory requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and the policy which governs decisions taking using this Act. Some enquiries can sometimes take longer than anticipated, and therefore some applications may take more than six months to decide.

Please be advised that your email has been forwarded to your case working team, who are aware that you have enquired about the progress of your current application. They will endeavor to conclude your application at the earliest opportunity once the enquiries have been completed and will contact you if any further information or documents are required to consider your application.

Please note that emails sent from the Nationality Casework teams could arrive at your email account and then may be redirected to your spam/junk email folder/s by your mailbox provider. You are advised to regularly check these folders for emails from your allocated caseworker/case working team.

Please be assured that, as soon as we can reach a decision, you will be notified accordingly.

I am inclined to get my MP involved but having seen the discussion here, I am sure he will also be sent the same standard response as above so it’s just a waiting game for us unfortunately. :cry:

I'm in the same situation, applied July 5, biometric July 11. We don't even know what we are waiting for, there is no explanation. A friend of mine who applied on October 23rd received approval on January 8th. Does anyone have any information about what we can do about this? Even my lawyer doesn't know anything, she says we have to wait. Please, those who know the solution, tell us what we should do. :(

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:07 pm

There isn't a magic solution unfortunately, you can ask your MP to follow up, but with even your solicitor advising to wait, they are the experts in the matter. Every case is assessed on a different timeline, and the HO has delays in processing applications all the time.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Odd-Ordinary8417
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Odd-Ordinary8417 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:11 am

tstrassberger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:18 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
tstrassberger wrote:

This is mindboggling that October applications are being approved and pre august applications are still awaiting allocation to case working team, most of us received that standard "IT issue" response. now it has been over 6 months for me too with the same "IT issue". They should clear the backlog before moving on to newer application but again now it seems like they are being prioritized because they paid newer more fee. I cant believe how stressful this seems even after paying so much fee. I hope and pray everyone awaitng get their approvals soon and dont have to go through MPs, SARs and complaints

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:05 pm

I have called them twice with no help by phone

I have emailed them many time on all the email addresses I could find , had one reply with the standard “ your application will take longer then 6 months due to some external checks that hasn’t gone through yet

I’ve asked my MP to chase my application which she did and got exactly the same reply like I did before

I have done the online complain to HO a month ago with no response yet

My MP told me she will chase again in 6 weeks time if I won’t receive anything in the meantime

If nothing will come after her second chase I will ask my MP to help me with Complain to the Parliamentary and
Health Service Ombudsman

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:07 pm

I’ve also requested for my SAR , hopefully I’ll find out where my application got stuck, this process can take a long time as well :((

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:52 pm

I had my SAR done and nothing was on it, don't keep your hopes high to uncover something that you didn't know tho!

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:09 pm

MuhammadM86 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:52 pm
I had my SAR done and nothing was on it, don't keep your hopes high to uncover something that you didn't know tho!

So SAR didn’t show any details regarding where your application got stocked in the process?

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:15 pm

Bibivaly wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:09 pm
MuhammadM86 wrote:

So SAR didn’t show any details regarding where your application got stocked in the process?
Nothing at all, there is only 2 notes regarding the application, one I couldn't understand and the other is redacted. I got in touch with SAR again enquiring about them, they confirmed that the one I didn't understand was for submitting the documents to an internal department and the redacted one they decided to keep it redacted, so I don't know.

My understanding from looking at the forum and the posts around this subject, it seems that HO isn't keen on giving any sensible update around BC applications at all, they'd prefer to keep applicants in the dark until decision has been made, which is brutal I think, considering the emotion attachments and the cost implications.

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:18 pm

MuhammadM86 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:15 pm
Bibivaly wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:09 pm
MuhammadM86 wrote:

Nothing at all, there is only 2 notes regarding the application, one I couldn't understand and the other is redacted. I got in touch with SAR again enquiring about them, they confirmed that the one I didn't understand was for submitting the documents to an internal department and the redacted one they decided to keep it redacted, so I don't know.

My understanding from looking at the forum and the posts around this subject, it seems that HO isn't keen on giving any sensible update around BC applications at all, they'd prefer to keep applicants in the dark until decision has been made, which is brutal I think, considering the emotion attachments and the cost implications.

Yea that’s absolutely true , by any chances did you Complain to the Parliamentary and
Health Service Ombudsman yet ?

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:21 pm

My application has been full 6 months yet, it will be soon.
Note: I have a relevant spent criminal records which HO caseworkers will be all over my application. So I may not be the best example on time frame here.

Odd-Ordinary8417
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Odd-Ordinary8417 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:39 pm

MuhammadM86 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:21 pm
My application has been full 6 months yet, it will be soon.
Note: I have a relevant spent criminal records which HO caseworkers will be all over my application. So I may not be the best example on time frame here.
its been over 6 months for me now and today got that standard response that we cant conclude your application within 6 months time ... i have not been out of country more than 28 days in past five years, never overstayed, not even a single fine or penalty, entered the country legally , provided 5 year residency proofs and yet somehow my application is more complicated than others. Fingers crossed it will be over soon

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:34 pm

It doesn't necessarily mean it's more complicated - case workers have to do a number of enquiries and your case may be taking longer because they are expecting a reply. There is a 95% success rate for naturalisation applications so as annoying as it is, have faith the process will reach an outcome. You can ask your MP to follow up though they are likely to receive the same response from HO.

sostresseddd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sostresseddd » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:25 am

Have any of you (July ‘23’) applicants had any luck? :(

toofunky2000
United Kingdom

Post by toofunky2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:55 am

Nothing yet from Jul-23, many applicants from July are still waiting for a decision. Don't understand why only July but have to wait as they are not responding on the emails.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:27 am

toofunky2000 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:55 am
Nothing yet from Jul-23, many applicants from July are still waiting for a decision. Don't understand why only July but have to wait as they are not responding on the emails.
Are you submitting a complaint?

justanothername
Newly Registered

Post by justanothername » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 am

I submitted my biometric on 1st September and also received the standard reply on the day it was five months since biometric. I am not sure if for me too it’s IT issue but frustrating that after paying so much money they can’t even give us a decent status update. It’s okay if they tell me it will be a year and we don’t have the bandwidth but not saying anything at all gives you all kind of anxieties.