ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for BC-Some Queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Applying for BC-Some Queries

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:00 am

I don't think having a British passport is a requirement to act as referee - it does make it easier for HO to check their records and makes it more straightforward. As for the based in the UK point, both these things are not made explicit in the guidance, so it is difficult to say for surez we can only read what is stated and try to provide advice based on that and on common sense(easier to check identity if someone holds a British passport z easier to verify professional standing if referee lives in the UK). if this second referee is registered with a chartered body they are also a professional and can act as referee for passport application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:33 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:00 am
I don't think having a British passport is a requirement to act as referee - it does make it easier for HO to check their records and makes it more straightforward. As for the based in the UK point, both these things are not made explicit in the guidance, so it is difficult to say for surez we can only read what is stated and try to provide advice based on that and on common sense(easier to check identity if someone holds a British passport z easier to verify professional standing if referee lives in the UK). if this second referee is registered with a chartered body they are also a professional and can act as referee for passport application.
My concern would be the referees are declaring they meet the requirements and acknowledge they can face sanction if not honest. The form itself states "For all applications, the second referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25." and if I were someone's referee in this situation facing a possible false declaration of having a British passport when I do not I would not proceed. Of course what they mean by 'normally'... who knows... that could be interpreted as 'preferably' to 'required except in exceptional circumstances'.

It's deeply unfortunate, but not surprising, the rules are unclear and conflicting in different reference locations.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:05 am

Yes, the guidance isn't clear enough to make a final statement over what would definitely be accepted and what wouldn't - so best to be sfae and get a British passport holder.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 am

Thank you so much for your replies.

I am about to submit and pay now. However, there is this under Declaration/Date of Application. There is a check box which I should check and proceed, right?

"I understand the date of my application will be the date the Home Office receives it and calculations will normally be made on that basis. I understand that the Home Office will use a later date to make calculations where this would benefit my application rather than refusing it.
I understand this may delay my application until I can meet the statutory requirements and it may result in me having to pay an additional fee should application fees increase in the meantime."

The application fee is £1580, I think. I don't know what the above means so thought to check.

Many thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:33 am

If they hold over the application until a later date instead of giving you an outright refusal you may have to pay extra if the fees increase in the meantime. Your benefit = no refusal - their benefit = additional fee (but only if there was an increase).
Quid pro quo!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:37 am

Understood - I was a little confused.

Thank you all for your excellent support.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:33 am

Hello,

I have already submitted my online application and am going for biometrics next week. However, I am not sure about the previous immigration applications section in the form. I have provided all details regarding my spouse visa, ILR, etc. from 2018. I don't recall immigration details from 2008 to 2014 when I was here on a student visa/PBS/student visa. I have mentioned this in a cover letter. Not sure if this is enough? Please could you let me know if this can result in a rejection? I don't mind withdrawing my application as I don't want to lose all that money.

Many thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:56 am

No problem for student visas. You provided all details you could remember and explained in a cover letter. It doesn't affect the statutory requirements, and I imagine your permanent stay in the UK started after that.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:32 am

Thank you, much appreciated.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:23 pm

Hi,

I am waiting for the outcome of my application which I submitted in Feb 2024. Am I correct in saying that I am NOT British until I attend the ceremony? Even when the application is approved (if that's the case), it still means that I am not British but continue remaining Indian until the ceremony? This is because my country India does not allow dual nationality and I am going to visit India in May during General Elections 2024 and to finish some legal things. I would like to cast my vote as still being Indian and finish other legal things hence thought to double-check here.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:26 pm

Am I correct in saying that I am NOT British until I attend the ceremony?
Correct.
Even when the application is approved (if that's the case), it still means that I am not British but continue remaining Indian until the ceremony?
Correct
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:43 pm

Your certificate conferring British citizenship will be dated on the day of the ceremony - the ceremony is a legal requirement.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:11 am

Hello there,

This forum has always been super helpful so thought to clear one critical doubt. I received British Nationality approval email on the 6th of May. This was good however I had submitted a withdrawal application request around two weeks before the decision email by filling in the form - In the form, there was a question which roughly asked if I would like to know the decision in the case of it being made. I answered Yes. I also emailed further nationality about my situation. My reason was the fear of losing Indian nationality after acquiring British Nationality. My father has a lot of agricultural land and though OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) allows inheriting property/land, I was confused and thought not to go ahead with BC. I am currently in India and have cleared all my doubts and am happy to go ahead with British nationality. My ceremony is booked in mid-July.
Am I right in thinking that the HO approval decision and my withdrawal request were roughly around the same time and the decision was already made? I received no acknowledgements or response from HO or Further Nationality about withdrawal.
The local council has received documents from HO and has been in contact as well. Is it all okay if I go ahead with the ceremony? Are any further actions needed on my part?
I would be very grateful for your response(s).

Thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 11:48 am

I would immediately chase with them and ask whether you can still go ahead and attend the ceremony as you changed your mind on withdrawing the application. A wiser course of action may have been not to withdraw the application at that stage as you could just not attend the ceremony as that is when the moment that you become British, not when your application is granted.

dave000
India

Post by dave000 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:44 pm

Thank you so much. I was really confused at the time. As mentioned, the council has received my documents and my ceremony is booked. Would it be wrong to attend the ceremony? There is no acknowledgement or response regarding the withdrawal request - Is it that the decision was already made, so the HO is allowing me to take the final call about attending/not attending the ceremony? I want to attend the ceremony. Who to contact - any email/phone?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 12:53 pm

Chase with FNE, and perhaps ask the council if they have any insight on this. I would advise to try to get clarity on this from UKVI, and tell them you changed your mind about withdrawing before just attending the ceremony and call it a day.