ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dual citizenship and claiming benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sweets480
Newly Registered

dual citizenship and claiming benefits

Post by sweets480 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:17 am

Hi,

I am just curious about the UK laws regarding following:

One of my friends said that if you hold dual citizenship ,i.e, be a citizen by birth in a country and then are granted British citizenship, you will not be able to claim state benefits in the United Kingdom, even if you are normally resident in the UK and are planning to make UK your home. She also said this rule applies if you EVER held dual citizenship, even if you now hold only British citizenship.

Just wanted to know if this is true? I searched on the internet, but couldn't find any information. Hoping one of you can help clear my doubt.

Thanks!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:48 pm

One of my friends said that if you hold dual citizenship ,i.e, be a citizen by birth in a country and then are granted British citizenship, you will not be able to claim state benefits in the United Kingdom, even if you are normally resident in the UK and are planning to make UK your home.
You can tell your friend, in a couple of words, that they are talking ...... utter rubbish!

The UK is not concerned by any other citizenship that is held, so if someone is a British Citizen they clearly have a right to claim whatever benefits their personal circumstances show they are entitled to.
John

sweets480
Newly Registered

Post by sweets480 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:17 am

Thanks John!

Thats the idea I had, but we had a heated argument on this issue and now I can prove my point!!

sanak

HSMP dependent Query

Post by sanak » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi John,

I havae some query with regards to rights of HSMP dependent

1)Can a HSMP dependent sponser her parents on visitior visa if working and earning in UK.

2)I have 10 months left to go for extension for 3 years can i still sponser them for 6 month visitor visa ....

Can you please let me know!!

Thanks