ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport office lost citizenship registration certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Worthy10
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Passport office lost citizenship registration certificate

Post by Worthy10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:06 pm

Hi everyone, I applied British Passport for my son after getting MN1 approval. I sent the citizenship registration certificate along with the child's foreign passport in a single hard envelope via Royal Mail 1PM secure delivery.
Now the Passport office is saying they received only a foreign passport and did not get the citizenship registration certificate. I am deeply concerned about its disappearance from the envelope. How to handle this now, Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Passport office lost citizenship registration certificate

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:17 pm

I am sorry to hear that - agree very concerning you put it in the envelope and they didn't receive it. I'd like to think they mislaid it when opening envelope. All I can offer is this HMPO link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accessible
I have no experience of this. Did you take copies of documents? By the off-chance did you photograph the envelope?
When you contact them say you definitely enclosed it - don't be fobbed off by them saying they didn't receive it. Ask for a senior manager rather than take call handlers at their word. Offer to send them a copy so they could match up to whatever they've got floating around.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Worthy10
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Worthy10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:00 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have taken copies of the registration certificate. But I did not take a photograph of the envelope. I did not think at that time they would receive the envelope but they lost the certificate.

I raised a complaint by emailing help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk, but they are not helpful and just kept saying they did not receive anything else apart from a foreign passport.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:49 pm

There is a complaint website for HMPO (don’t have link just now) so that your issue gets registered. Look at the HMPO help website that link should be there.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:04 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure
Here is the website for the complaints procedure. Do keep us updated as no doubt this will help future applicants that may run into this same issue. I'm sorry this is happening and fingers crossed it can get resolved.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Worthy10
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Worthy10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:28 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:04 pm
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure
Here is the website for the complaints procedure. Do keep us updated as no doubt this will help future applicants that may run into this same issue. I'm sorry this is happening and fingers crossed it can get resolved.
Thanks, I used this link after that I received an email from help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk.
They mentioned the same thing, receiving of only a foreign passport. Now I asked them to raise a formal report for a lost document and also asked for the status of the envelope. I am thinking that it should be still inside the envelope but may be get stuck because I used a A4 size (do not fold) envelope.
But it looks like they don't want to relook the envelope or may have destroyed it.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:38 pm

Suggest you escalate it further and ask for a formal review of the complaint - with that response you can then get the ICE involved.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:15 pm

This is strange. If they denied receiving the whole envelop, it would sound more realistic.

If you put BOTH the foreign passport and the naturalisation certificate in one envelop, and that even a "do not fold", how can they receive just the passport :?:

Did you include anything else in the envelope, a cover letter or just a paper either reference number?

They must be receiving hundreds of such envelops a week and one would have thought if they receive an A4 hard back envelop with just the passport, it would appear odd to them as well.

If you are sure, then do not back down. They lost it and they need to offer a solution - don't let them make it your problem.

Worthy10
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Worthy10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:05 pm

BashirB wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:15 pm
This is strange. If they denied receiving the whole envelop, it would sound more realistic.

If you put BOTH the foreign passport and the naturalisation certificate in one envelop, and that even a "do not fold", how can they receive just the passport :?:

Did you include anything else in the envelope, a cover letter or just a paper either reference number?

They must be receiving hundreds of such envelops a week and one would have thought if they receive an A4 hard back envelop with just the passport, it would appear odd to them as well.

If you are sure, then do not back down. They lost it and they need to offer a solution - don't let them make it your problem.
I put nothing else in the envelope, only the registration certificate and passport. I wrote the reference number on the envelope. Now the problem is they keep saying they received the envelope but it has only a foreign passport. I am concerned about how I can prove that the envelope has a registration certificate along with a passport.

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:22 pm

Worthy10 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:05 pm

I put nothing else in the envelope, only the registration certificate and passport. I wrote the reference number on the envelope. Now the problem is they keep saying they received the envelope but it has only a foreign passport. I am concerned about how I can prove that the envelope has a registration certificate along with a passport.
Sadly, it would be difficult to prove you put that in it.

Even in cases where they have admitted that they have lost an applicants original document, they only provide a letter acknowledging that its lost - the hassle of getting the documents replaced is of the applicant.

In your case, unless you took a video of yourself putting it in the envelop and posting it, I am not sure what evidence can be provided. There have been cases where people have sent incomplete set of documents, so the argument of "I would have obviously put it because there is no point of just sending a passport" won't hold.

If it was something heavy and was weighed at the post office, you could have proved by reference to weight that in addition to the passport, there was something else in the envelope. It won't prove what that something else was though. But with the certificate weighing less than 100g, it would be difficult.

Hopefully more experienced forum members can advise on how you can prove you sent it.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:33 pm

I wouldn't know how to prove you sent it unfortunately. I can only suggest to keep escalating the complaint with HMPO. As there isn't a picture of the damaged parcel you can't get Royal Mail involved. It's unfair that they are claiming you didn't send it when clearly you did, but right now you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You also have the issue of your child now not being able to get a UK passport, not having their foreign passport, and not having their registration certificate, all because of a mistake on their part. Perhaps I would inclide this point in the complaint to detail the hassle this is causing you.

Worthy10
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Worthy10 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:46 pm

Hi All,

After multiple calls, They relooked the envelope and found the citizenship certificate. Finally, Today, I received a British passport for my son.

Thanks, everyone for help.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 pm

Oh good news!
Congratulations.
No thanks to HMPO….

Vini1981
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vini1981 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:46 pm

That's great to hear. Could you let me know who you called and what numbers you used? I had sent in my passport and naturalization certificate to Hemel Hempstead and have the confirmation of delivery(via DHL) but it's been 5 working days and 7 calendar days and they can't seem to find my documents though DHL has confirmed delivery.

Raising a query but not able to get any human contact at HMPO to help.
I did speak to one person who greeted me and signed off with "Thank you for calling the HMPO" but also said was not with the HMPO and all they could do was lodge something in a file.

Regards

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 pm

Worthy10 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:46 pm
Hi All,

After multiple calls, They relooked the envelope and found the citizenship certificate. Finally, Today, I received a British passport for my son.

Thanks, everyone for help.
Great news. Please do provide details on how you managed to get to that stage, so that other members van benefit from your experience.

Worthy10
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Worthy10 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 am

Vini1981 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:46 pm
That's great to hear. Could you let me know who you called and what numbers you used? I had sent in my passport and naturalization certificate to Hemel Hempstead and have the confirmation of delivery(via DHL) but it's been 5 working days and 7 calendar days and they can't seem to find my documents though DHL has confirmed delivery.

I did speak to one person who greeted me and signed off with "Thank you for calling the HMPO" but also said was not with the HMPO and all they could do was lodge something in a file.

Regards
You need to call the customer management team at 03002220000 then select 8 then select 4.
You need to set the call in the right direction, so tell them upfront, I am calling because HMPO lost my documents. You need to inform the tracking number and delivery date.
In my case, I asked them to reexamine the envelope.

You need to call multiple times, It all depends, on who is picking up your call, You will get the right person after a few calls.

Vini1981
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vini1981 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:59 pm

Thanks very much. Did exactly as you said. It took a few calls. They called back and said they found the documents and it's moved to the next stage.

Such a relief. Was planning on how I could prove I was legally allowed to be in the UK since I didn't have my naturalization certificate, didn't have my current passport and had cut up my BRP last week.

Luckily had copies of everything which I would believe would help but it would have been a nightmare getting replacements.

samiat1970
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by samiat1970 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:09 am

Worthy10 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:00 pm
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have taken copies of the registration certificate. But I did not take a photograph of the envelope. I did not think at that time they would receive the envelope but they lost the certificate.

I raised a complaint by emailing help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk, but they are not helpful and just kept saying they did not receive anything else apart from a foreign passport.

Hello. Pls read my post.
I have same problem as you. I sent my international passport and naturalization certificate all in one envelope with royal mail special delivery on 12th of January 2024.

They contacted few days later, saying they only received my passport only, just imagine.

After a lot of calls and emails to them, one of there staff member called me on 1st of February, claiming that my certificate was received on 25th of January. The caller also told me to discard text messages or email from their end henceforth, claiming that my certificate was not received, I was so relieved and happy.

Few days later, I started getting text messages emails that they didn't receive my certificate. This was when I became made at them abd escalated my matter to the customer service management team.

After a lot if calls and emails to them again, the team finally replied that they could find my certificate and promised t order a replacement naturalization certificate on my behalf.

Am currently stuck waiting for them to tell me that th replacement certificate has arrive. Very bad service and staff at HMPO. Am disappointed

samiat1970
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by samiat1970 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:09 am

Worthy10 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:00 pm

Hello. Pls read my post.
I have same problem as you. I sent my international passport and naturalization certificate all in one envelope with royal mail special delivery on 12th of January 2024.

They contacted few days later, saying they only received my passport only, just imagine.

After a lot of calls and emails to them, one of there staff member called me on 1st of February, claiming that my certificate was received on 25th of January. The caller also told me to discard text messages or email from their end henceforth, claiming that my certificate was not received, I was so relieved and happy.

Few days later, I started getting text messages emails that they didn't receive my certificate. This was when I became made at them abd escalated my matter to the customer service management team.

After a lot if calls and emails to them again, the team finally replied that they could find my certificate and promised t order a replacement naturalization certificate on my behalf.

Am currently stuck waiting for them to tell me that th replacement certificate has arrive. Very bad service and staff at HMPO. Am disappointed

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:45 am

These posts illustrate the dangers of sending original documents. Why don’t they accept copies of Home Office issued documents?
The Passport Office is an agency of the Home Office and should be able to contact the Home Office to verify that the copy is true.
Lost or damaged documents

Complaints procedure.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:43 am

suggest you review this thread british-citizenship/passport-applicatio ... 43926.html and this earlier post in this thread:
Worthy10 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 am
Vini1981 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:46 pm

Regards
You need to call the customer management team at 03002220000 then select 8 then select 4.
You need to set the call in the right direction, so tell them upfront, I am calling because HMPO lost my documents. You need to inform the tracking number and delivery date.
In my case, I asked them to reexamine the envelope.

You need to call multiple times, It all depends, on who is picking up your call, You will get the right person after a few calls.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:37 am

vinny wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:45 am
These posts illustrate the dangers of sending original documents. Why don’t they accept copies of Home Office issued documents?
The Passport Office is an agency of the Home Office and should be able to contact the Home Office to verify that the copy is true.
Lost or damaged documents

Complaints procedure.
That's more admin. This could significantly increase the lead time. All processes have their pros and cons.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

samiat1970
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by samiat1970 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 am

Absolutely 💯 right. It's a risk sending original documents to HMPO

Ccf15
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Ccf15 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:19 pm

samiat1970 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 am
Absolutely 💯 right. It's a risk sending original documents to HMPO
Hey - have you had any updates from the passport office? I’m in the same situation as you and the original poster of this thread. I’ve been going in circles with complaints to no resolve . Please can you update your status?

samiat1970
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by samiat1970 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:29 pm

Hello.

Finally, my application was approved yesterday after 1 month and 30 days of hassle.

The useless people promised to send send the replacement certificate they ordered straight to the examiner but instead I received it by post in my address on Tuesday.

I quickly sent it to then on Tuesday evening and start bombarding with with calls and emails to chase it up.

Goodluck to anyone in similar situation