ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adoption and British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Only Me
United Kingdom

Adoption and British Citizenship

Post by Only Me » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 pm

Hello Everyone

Im just putting this up as I wonder if anyone can help, I am a UK citizen from birth and my step daughter has been living in the UK since 2019 along with her mother (my wife) and both are currently on a FLR Visa.

I have been in the process of adopting my Step Daughter and the adoption order was granted by the family court in the UK yesterday.

Does this mean my now Daughter gets automatic British Citizenship or do we have to apply for British Citizenship?

I would be grateful for any help or advice or point me to correct information as some information I have seen isn't that clear.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Adoption and British Citizenship

Post by meself2 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:36 pm

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport ... d-children
If your child was adopted in the UK

Your child can get a British passport if either adoptive parent is British and was usually living in the UK (‘habitually resident’) when you adopted your child.
If you're unsure, call them, as they suggest.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:51 pm

Only Me wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 pm
Hello Everyone

Im just putting this up as I wonder if anyone can help, I am a UK citizen from birth and my step daughter has been living in the UK since 2019 along with her mother (my wife) and both are currently on a FLR Visa.

I have been in the process of adopting my Step Daughter and the adoption order was granted by the family court in the UK yesterday.

Does this mean my now Daughter gets automatic British Citizenship or do we have to apply for British Citizenship?

I would be grateful for any help or advice or point me to correct information as some information I have seen isn't that clear.
Child should be automatically British. Do make sure you understand what are the relevant documents that she has to keep to prove her citizenship down the line - I think it might be her adoption certificate with your name on it and either a certificate of naturalisation/birth certificate for you or your British passport that was valid at the time of her birth (not adoption). I agree with meself2 that you should call them, citizen advice may also be able to help.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Only Me
United Kingdom

Post by Only Me » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:58 pm

Hi Both

Thanks for the advice, I did call Passport Office and got through to the check if your a citizen section and yes they said she gets automatic British Citizenship. For some reason I didn't think of contact the Passport office, so some good advice received from this forum again.