ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Date of first entry in UK - first entry ever or qualifying period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ktyagi
India

Date of first entry in UK - first entry ever or qualifying period

Post by ktyagi » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,
First of all thanks for the great help this forum has been over the years through my immigration journey in UK.

I am filling now the Citizenship Application and again in need of some help. Quick intro to my immigration history - I first entered the UK in Oct-2010 to start my PhD on T4 visa, then applied Dec-2014 for T4 DES, then went on to T2 Visa in Oct-2015, and got ILR Jan-2021.

There is this question in the citizenship application - "When did you first arrive in the UK?" I know it looks like a straight forward question, but its making me overthink and here is why.

There was exactly same question in the ILR application form and for this I had put Oct-2015 - when my qualifying period for ILR started. If I follow the same logic - my qualifying period of citizenship would be T2 and ILR - and put Oct-2015 in the citizenship form as well, then I dont know how to answer the next question - i.e. "Where did you first arrive in the UK?" - because I was already in the UK, just relocated to a new city to start my job on T2 visa. Nationality Forms Guide (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t_2023.pdf) supports this logic too - "Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis, and the airport or seaport through which you then entered." But I dont know how to answer the "WHERE" question.

If however, I take the question as is and put Oct-2010 as the first date of entry, I know where I first came to UK as well. But this will contradict the answer to the same question in the ILR application. Also then, there are the questions for "Details of trips outside the UK". Do I have to list all the trips outside the UK in the last 13 years - i.e. from the date of first entry to the date of application?

How have others answered this question?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Date of first entry in UK - first entry ever or qualifying period

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:22 pm

Date on which qualifying period is based on.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:22 pm
Date on which qualifying period is based on.
Thank you, but then how should I answer the question "Where did you first arrive in the UK?" - because I was already in the UK, just relocated to a new city to start my job on T2 visa.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:34 pm

You can write the date when you arrived to do your PhD and explain in your cover letter.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:47 am

Thank you.

Could someone who was in a similar situation share their experience please?
Cheers

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:56 am

ktyagi wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:47 am
Thank you.

Cheers
Entry date isn't really an issue - haven't seen anyone reporting it.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:04 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:56 am
ktyagi wrote:
Thank you.

Cheers
Thanks, its not the date question which bothers me but the questions around it like (1) Where did I enter UK when I was already here. (2) Do I need to give 13 years of absence history?. (3) Could the answer contradict the answer in ILR?

It will be straightforward for the folks who come here on work visa and then move to ILR/Citizenship. But am sure at least a few would have their immigration journey similar to mine.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:12 am

ktyagi wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:04 am
alterhase58 wrote:
ktyagi wrote:
Thank you.

Cheers
Thanks, its not the date question which bothers me but the questions around it like (1) Where did I enter UK when I was already here. (2) Do I need to give 13 years of absence history?. (3) Could the answer contradict the answer in ILR?

It will be straightforward for the folks who come here on work visa and then move to ILR/Citizenship. But am sure at least a few would have their immigration journey similar to mine.
You only have to provide your absences during the qualifying period. You entered the UK 13 years ago, and are using the last 5 years as qualifying period, no overthinking needed.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:12 am

ktyagi wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:04 am
alterhase58 wrote:
ktyagi wrote:
Thank you.

Cheers

It is not a deal breaker and no contradiction.