ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen queries

Post by Ticktack » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:29 am

spouse2018 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:59 am
Thank you all for the help so far.

I have two more questions about my professional referee.

1. Under his profession on the online form I have written: "Sales Engineer (Chartered Engineer (CEng) IChemE)". Is this ok? I know members have suggested just Chartered Engineer but would this not make the profession description a bit incomplete. Please confirm if my description as above is fine. Overthinking, either is fine.

2. Email address: I have given his personal email address but I also have his work email address. Is there a preference for one over the other? Nothing preferred, people move jobs and lose access to work emails, private is always yours to access.

Apologies if the questions above sound silly but I just wanted to make sure that all aspects are covered.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Spouse 2018
In my wife's British passport copy there is only one page that I had to take photo of whilst all the others were scanned in a scanner. This is because we were in India and I could not get the passport scanned there. Is it ok to have one page as a photo. I have cropped the unnecessary edges to make it look neat and add this to the passport pdf. Would HO not accept the document as one page is taken as photo and the rest scanned. The rest are scanned because they are from my ILR application and this additional page is from the latest travel which shows that she is in India at the time of my application.
Anyhow you do it is fine. Not the end of the world. Data page is key data. Your spouse is free to travel anywhere. The rest is just to have the full picture of events.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:30 am

Only data page is needed for your spouse, their trips aren't relevant to your application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:37 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding my wife's British passport my question was more around is it ok to have just that one page as a photo converted to pdf whilst the others are normal scanned pdf pages. The whole document will be uploaded as pdf but within the pdf only the page showing latest travel is photo converted to pdf whilst the other pages are scanned as pdf. Would HO treat this as an inconsistency was more my question and therefore not accept the document.

Also they have said that please include spouse full passport all pages in the document checklist.

Any advise on the above.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:37 pm

Hi All,

Any suggestion on my above message.

Regards
Spouse2018

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:46 am

spouse2018 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:37 am
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding my wife's British passport my question was more around is it ok to have just that one page as a photo converted to pdf whilst the others are normal scanned pdf pages. The whole document will be uploaded as pdf but within the pdf only the page showing latest travel is photo converted to pdf whilst the other pages are scanned as pdf. Would HO treat this as an inconsistency was more my question and therefore not accept the document.

Also they have said that please include spouse full passport all pages in the document checklist.

Any advise on the above.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018
No one asking what it was before as long as it is legible/clear and in the accepted format.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses.

I have asked this before but thought it's best to ask again.

For the Referee forme are we required to take a photo of the back with name and dob included and attach this to the Referee form for completeness.

I have taken the back of the photo additionally and saved this as additional pdf for both my Referee forms but I am not sure if I should submit this with the main copies. ( I.e the
Photo with front on)

Would the HO reject the application if the back of photo is not shown.

Appreciate any advise on the above.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:22 am

For the Referee forme are we required to take a photo of the back with name and dob included and attach this to the Referee form for completeness.

I have taken the back of the photo additionally and saved this as additional pdf for both my Referee forms but I am not sure if I should submit this with the main copies. ( I.e the
Photo with front on)

No no and no!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:27 am

spouse2018 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 am
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses.

I have asked this before but thought it's best to ask again.

Photo with front on)

Appreciate any advise on the above.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018

No. As we have said numerous times that is a relic of old paper applications. I applied with a digital form with the photo on it and a scanned signature from my referees and it was OK. If the form was unclear they would contact you to ask for a better copy. You are overthinking this, no need to worry this much.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:26 pm

Hello,

Thanks once again for all the response to my queries.

Just another query from me. The date of application for naturalisation is the online application submission and not the biometrics appointment right?

My Referee forms have been signed and dated currently 3 days prior to my online application date so was wondering if this would be a problem.

Please advise.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:28 pm

that's completely fine, dated in the month before the online submission is perfectly reasonable.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:32 pm

Hi All,

Is it mandatory to include my employment related documents in my naturalisation application. I have kept my latest payslip and P60 pdf copies with me but not sure if I should include this. Also is an employment letter required to be included? Currently the documents that I am providing in support of my application include:

1. All passport copies in full for myself and current ILR BRP.
2. Wife UK passport full copy
3. Wife naturalisation certificate
4. Marriage certificate
5. UK Degree certificate for English Language requirement
6. Referee declarations x2
7. Employment Letter for myself, P60 and latest payslip
(Not sure if documents in line item 7 are essential)

My wife is British citizen and I am sharing her UK passport copy and naturalisation certificate as listed above so technically HO should be considering under 6(2l) category. However if by any chance they consider under 6(1) then what other additional documents would I need to provide if at all any to those mentioned above. Just for background I got my ILR on 5 year spouse visa route and have completed 1 year on ILR.

Also please let me know if the documents listed above are enough to submit in support of my naturalisation application.

Appreciate any advise that can be given.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:39 pm

spouse2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:32 pm
Hi All,

Is it mandatory to include my employment related documents in my naturalisation application. I have kept my latest payslip and P60 pdf copies with me but not sure if I should include this. Also is an employment letter required to be included? Currently the documents that I am providing in support of my application include:

1. All passport copies in full for myself and current ILR BRP.
2. Wife UK passport full copy
3. Wife naturalisation certificate
4. Marriage certificate
5. UK Degree certificate for English Language requirement
6. Referee declarations x2
7. Employment Letter for myself, P60 and latest payslip Not needed if you passport gets stamped. Employment not a requirement for naturalisation
(Not sure if documents in line item 7 are essential)

My wife is British citizen and I am sharing her UK passport copy and naturalisation certificate as listed above so technically HO should be considering under 6(2l) category. However if by any chance they consider under 6(1) then what other additional documents would I need to provide if at all any to those mentioned above. Just for background I got my ILR on 5 year spouse visa route and have completed 1 year on ILR. When you answer the questions on the form it asks you if you are married to a British citizen. If you answer Yes your application will be considered under Section 6(2).

Also please let me know if the documents listed above are enough to submit in support of my naturalisation application. You will get a checklist at the end of the application. It seems to me this is OK.

Appreciate any advise that can be given.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Spouse2018

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:43 pm

Thanks for the response.

There is one missing UK entry stamp in my passport from February 2019. I have prepared a letter explaining this and have also attached a copy of my flight ticket to this letter.
Unfortunately I was not in employment at that time so don't have any employment documents or letters from GP, DVLA or government bodies to prove residence and physical presence at that time.

Is the above approach ok or do I need to include another document. ( e.g. tenancy agreement). My understanding is that HO would consider upto 3 years from application date as spouse of UK citizen which would be Feb 2021 but in case they go upto 5 years i.e. Feb 2019 then in that case would the letter + ticket copy be enough?

Any suggestions.

Regards
Spouse2018

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:03 pm

They won't go back 5 years, because you will declare you are married to a British citizen, as I stated above. If this gives you so much anxiety just wait until the day after you have been back from that trip to apply (eg if you came back on the 15 Feb 2019 wait until the 17 Feb 2024 to apply). As far as you were in the UK the day 3 years + 1 day before the application date (so for an application sent on the 21 January 2024 you had to be physically in the UK on the 22 January 2021 for a 3 years qualifying period) it will be OK. I appreciate it is a stressful application but there is no need to prove eligibility under two different routes. Caseworkers know their job and there is a 95% success rate.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:59 pm

Hi All,

In my marriage certificate both my wife and I had Indian nationality which is a document dated back to 2017. Subsequently my wife went onto become a British citizen in 2020. Would this marriage certificate showing Indian nationality violate the statutory requirement of being married to British citizen.

The AN guide says you should be married to a British citizen on date of application so I am guessing this is ok but since the certificate from 2017 shows Indian would there be an issue.

Please advise.

Regards
Spouse2018

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:02 pm

You are really are overthinking everything completely and looking for issues where there are none!

There is no issue here with the marriage certificate. Nowhere in the nationality laws does it state your marriage certificate must state you married a British citizen!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:30 pm

You are providing her British passport and naturalisation certificate. it is not an issue. Caseworkers do this routinely and are well versed with people acquiring British citizenship.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:55 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. Very reassuring indeed!!

I was just looking through some of the posts on the forum and noticed that there is a 3 part consent form that needs to be signed as part of this application process. So far on the online form I haven't seen any consent form.

When should form this pop up and in which parts should I be filling in. My understanding is Part 1 for me but since I am applying as spouse of British citizen would my wife need to sign Part 2?

Part 3 is not relevant as my understanding is its about financial sponsorship.

Please advise.

Regards
Spouse2018

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Hi,

Can some please advise on the above?

Regards
Spouse2018

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:52 pm

That form should be available for print out when you have submitted your application.
No issue - sign parts 1 and 2 and upload with other documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:59 pm

It isn't, but to this day I am not sure it is needed. I personally used it but I think it has to do with visa routes rather than naturalisation.

Meaky
Newly Registered
Mood:
Russia

Post by Meaky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:54 am

spouse2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:43 pm
Thanks for the response.

There is one missing UK entry stamp in my passport from February 2019. I have prepared a letter explaining this and have also attached a copy of my flight ticket to this letter.
Unfortunately I was not in employment at that time so don't have any employment documents or letters from GP, DVLA or government bodies to prove residence and physical presence at that time.

Is the above approach ok or do I need to include another document. ( e.g. tenancy agreement). My understanding is that HO would consider upto 3 years from application date as spouse of UK citizen which would be Feb 2021 but in case they go upto 5 years i.e. Feb 2019 then in that case would the letter + ticket copy be enough?

Any suggestions.

Regards
Spouse2018
Hello! I have the same issue with missing uk stamp. Could you please give me an example what did you put in cover letter explaining the situation? Thank you

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:25 pm

Hi,

I prepared a letter and attached a copy of my flight ticket to the letter.

Regards
Spouse2018

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:49 pm

No need to prove you travelled. If your passport didn't get stamped for that year you could provide a letter of employment or council tax and explain in a cover note that that trip wasn't stamped. You need to provide evidence of presence - declaring your trips is enough for evidence of absence. Re OP, you don't need to prove anything for 2019 as your qualifying period starts in 2021.

spouse2018
India

Post by spouse2018 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:39 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the replies again.

Regarding UKVCAS document categories I have 2 questions that I hope someone can advise on:

1. British partners passport copy and naturalisation certificate should go under which category. Would Sponsor/Employment category do?

2. Does it really matter which UKVCAS category you put your documents in?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Spouse2018