ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change before naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JVC
Newly Registered
Finland

Name change before naturalisation

Post by JVC » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Hello,

Would it be possible to apply for citizenship by naturalisation under my new name even if my European passport and birth certificate show my old name? I'd have an unenrolled deed poll as proof.

Thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Name change before naturalisation

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:55 pm

I would not expect this to fly.
For example, Passport Office would not accept deed poll as proof of new name (so you won't be given a passport in this scenario); doubt ISD is more lenient, but haven't had the experience.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

JVC
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by JVC » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:01 pm

I read that the Passport Office requires proof of using the new name dating back at least two years and I'd be able to provide that, but I don't know if the ISD would accept that.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:32 am

My advice would be to avoid name change for this, just so you don't complicate things and add another few months to your naturalization timeline. You will get a naturalization cert, which would be in your old name, as all your govt documents, but it'll just be stored in your own document storage, besides being sent once for a passport, in most cases. I'd ask DFA we chat about possibility to apply for a passport in a different name - it might as well be possible.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Yk_Krsh
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by Yk_Krsh » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:43 am

for passport, you'll need two different documents dated from at least two years ago with the name you want to use. For instance, if you're applying in March 2024, the documents should be from March 2022 or earlier. Deed poll isn't accepted, but proof of name usage is enough.

JVC
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by JVC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:04 pm

meself2 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:32 am
My advice would be to avoid name change for this, just so you don't complicate things and add another few months to your naturalization timeline. You will get a naturalization cert, which would be in your old name, as all your govt documents, but it'll just be stored in your own document storage, besides being sent once for a passport, in most cases. I'd ask DFA we chat about possibility to apply for a passport in a different name - it might as well be possible.
I wouldn't mind waiting as long as it's possible to do so.

JVC
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by JVC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:05 pm

Yk_Krsh wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:43 am
for passport, you'll need two different documents dated from at least two years ago with the name you want to use. For instance, if you're applying in March 2024, the documents should be from March 2022 or earlier. Deed poll isn't accepted, but proof of name usage is enough.
I'm mostly worried about changing my name before naturalisation and the certificate.