ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travelling in 1 week after british citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

radomousa
Newly Registered
Saudi Arabia

travelling in 1 week after british citizenship ceremony

Post by radomousa » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:50 pm

hi, I need to travel in 1 week after my British citizenship ceremony, can I use my ILT card with my current Syrian passport to enter back to the country , although my ILT has expired

alterhase58
Germany

Re: travelling in 1 week after british citizenship ceremony

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:04 pm

radomousa wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:50 pm
hi, I need to travel in 1 week after my British citizenship ceremony, can I use my ILT card with my current Syrian passport to enter back to the country , although my ILT has expired
ILT = BRP card ?? Card is still in date (printed date)? That would allow you return boarding.
Possibly, all I can suggest you take your naturalisation certificate with you (or better a copy) and show it at the UK border (only). Explain to Border Force. British citizens are full right to enter the UK (ideally with a British passport), it may take a bit longer.
It's not a travel document so no point showing it at return boarding.
Not the first time it's been done but personally I would postpone my travel.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:48 pm

Once you have completed the naturalisation process, you will no longer be able to enter the UK using your BRP or digital status, or by presenting your citizenship certificate at the UK border.

For travel purposes, you can apply for a British passport or for a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode that can be placed in a valid foreign passport.

You must send your BRP (or BRC) if you hold one back to the Home Office within 5 working days of getting your certificate of British citizenship.

To travel outside the UK after getting British citizenship, you’ll need to apply for a British passport or a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode. You cannot use your naturalisation certificate to travel.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:58 pm

You can travel with the certificate, certainly over the past couple of years with HMPO being very slow lots of people didn’t have a choice.
Remember British citizens have an absolute right of Abode, cannot be turned away, BP of course is preferable. I know Home Office websites make a lot of general statements.
I would agree with you to get a BP but sometimes there’s no choice.

NB. I find this thread quite interesting, a few posts of people who actually travelled with BRPs, foreign passports and certificate.
british-citizenship/recent-experiences- ... 37648.html
Only going back to last year - quite recent. Everyone returning got back into the UK, which is your absolute right as a British citizen.
No reports of dire consequences threatened or suffered ... I find it's not helpful advising people that they face big issues, they must or must not do this, a practical approach is the British way.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 pm

radomousa wrote:
You need a valid BRP card to board the plane to fly back to the UK. The problem is not entering the UK, but getting on a plane. As a Syrian passport holder, you need a valid visa/BRP card to do that.

Your naturalisation certificate is not sufficient to board a plane.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:14 pm

radomousa wrote:
You should be ready to be stuck out there for a very long time. You need to valid document to get on a plane back to the UK.

The UK government always advises citizens to get a valid UK passport before exiting the UK. As confirmed above, your current citizenship doesn't allow you to board a plane to the UK.

If you do risk it, make sure the country you're off to is a country where you can reside without time limit if necessary. Otherwise, the pressure would be on both sides.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:33 pm

radomousa wrote:
Agreed with everyone above. You won't be boarded on the plane without a valid BRP, you will get stuck and likely to need to apply for first British Passport from abroad which is a nightmare of it's own.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:18 pm

Applying for first British passport while outside of the country has been interpreted by HO as indication of not respecting the future intentions requirement, so I would very strongly advice against putting yourself in a situation where you need to apply for that abroad (unless you naturalised as spouse of a British citizen).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Moki36
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Moki36 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:30 pm

Does this apply for people who are spouse of BC under 6(2)?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:37 pm

Moki36 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:30 pm
Does what apply,?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:59 pm

Moki36 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:30 pm
As I said above, no, the future intentions requirement does not apply if OP naturalised as spouse of British citizen under Section 6(2)
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.