ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RTB letter for naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

human_ie
Newly Registered
Ireland

RTB letter for naturalisation

Post by human_ie » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Hi everyone, apologies if this was discussed earlier, but does anyone know how should the RTB letter look like to satisfy proof of residency requirements for naturalisation?

I requested letters for each year of tenancy from RTB, and what they’ve issued is the same document I’ve received by post at the start of the tenancy back few years ago: it states the tenancy start date but not the end date. It also explicitly states that it “doesn’t constitute proof of the tenancy”.

Would that be acceptable, or do I need something else? Alternatively, does anyone know if landlord’s reference letter confirming the start and the end dates of tenancy would suffice?

Thanks!

Danini___
Ireland

Re: RTB letter for naturalisation

Post by Danini___ » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:32 pm

I would like to hear the answer too. By the way, is the RT reference number same every year? I requested a RTB letter for 2024 a few days ago and they sent me a letter saying 'this letter is to confirm your landlord has registered you since 1st Jan 2023' and the RT reference number was something like 'RT-xxxxxx-24' (RT-xxxxxx was the RT reference number i had for 2023), i have no idea if that can confirm my registration of 2024

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 pm

There’s only one letter type issued by RTB. If you’ve received it in the post there’s no need to request again.

It’s an excellent form of proof as it’s issued by an independent third party that is govt regulated. It’s accepted for 50 type B points for the year of issue. You’ll notice that all acceptable proofs now are issued by a third party - the option for letters written between private citizens has been removed. The only
applicants who should be using a landlords letter are those on rent a room schemes, for whom RTB registration doesn’t exist and they are legally due a lease.

It’s more reliable than the lease itself, and def better than a landlords letter. Both lease and landlords letter can be forged by the applicant, or a friend.. The RTB letter is registered and can be verified independently. RTB registration triggers a taxable event and so is unlikely to be undertaken unless the landlord is actually receiving rent.

Lease and RTB prove lease (assuming lease isn’t forged.) neither prove tenancy, as neither involve physical checks. (Lease may allow for physical checks but doesn’t prove whether they happen or not.)

Very few proof documents have an end date. Utility bills don’t etc. Credit card statements only cover the month etc.

human_ie
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by human_ie » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:15 am

Thank you so much for clarifying!
Vadrar wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 pm
It’s accepted for 50 type B points for the year of issue.
The issue is that the tenancy lasted for a few years, so if I hear you right, the RTB letter will only cover the first year. Is there any way to prove that letter was still relevant for other years of tenancy?

To give more context: I could also use utility bills (no phone line, no mortgage, no credit card), however, my name is shortened there (1 letter of the first name, 6 letters of the last name), since it wouldn’t fit together with my partner’s full name on the Electric Ireland system. Back then we thought it’s better to have one of our names in full, but now it seems to be a problem :/

Any advice is much appreciated!

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:03 am

human_ie wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:15 am
Thank you so much for clarifying!
Vadrar wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 pm
It’s accepted for 50 type B points for the year of issue.
The issue is that the tenancy lasted for a few years, so if I hear you right, the RTB letter will only cover the first year. Is there any way to prove that letter was still relevant for other years of tenancy?

To give more context: I could also use utility bills (no phone line, no mortgage, no credit card), however, my name is shortened there (1 letter of the first name, 6 letters of the last name), since it wouldn’t fit together with my partner’s full name on the Electric Ireland system. Back then we thought it’s better to have one of our names in full, but now it seems to be a problem :/

Any advice is much appreciated!
If you’ve got an RTB and then submit utility bills for later years in the same address you’ll be fine, even with the variant of your name on the utility bills. There’s enough connecting information there for it to be accepted.

But if you have the RTB for the first year, surely you can also get letters for subsequent years? (As in they issue annually, so you should be able to get subsequent years. Since 2022 it became a legal requirement to issue annually, before that by request but you should be able to request missing years.) But utility bills will be fine, the department often sees cases of truncated names on utility bills and understands there is a letter limit.