ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child was born abroad automatically be recognized as a British citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tiddy1975
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Child was born abroad automatically be recognized as a British citizen?

Post by Tiddy1975 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:01 pm

I would like to make enquiry regarding British citizenship of my son who was born outside the UK, I had given the British citizenship by registration in the UK before my son was born. I was born in Thailand on 10 June 1999. My mother was born in Thailand and received the British citizenship by naturalization in 2013, now my son is 2 months old living in Thailand, I would like to know would my son automatically be recognized as a British citizen, if yes , can he apply British passport outside the UK?

My son date of birth: 18/12/2023, was born in Thailand 
My wife date of birth:  4/8/1999, was born in Thailand 
My date of birth : 10/6/1999, was born in Thailand 
My date of marriage : 8/6/2023
Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Child was born abroad automatically be recognized as a British citizen?

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:14 pm

If you acquired British citizenship in the UK your son born outside the Uk will be British “by descent “ automatically and can apply for a passport immediately. Apply online: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports . The application will tell you what documents are required and process steps.
Note son cannot pass on citizenship to his children born abroad.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Tiddy1975
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tiddy1975 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:58 pm

Thank you very much for your quick reply, I am very concerned as I cannot clarify the sentence “ given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)” because I has been given citizenship after my mother certification of neutralisation granted.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:02 pm

When exactly did you Register as British?

What date is on your Registration Certificate?

What process did you follow to gain British Citizenship?

Have you ever lived in the UK and if yes, from what year to what year?
because I has been given citizenship after my mother certification of neutralisation granted.
Your mother becoming British does not retrospectively make you British. How did your mother become British, did she have a British parent or did she live in the UK on a visa, get Permanent Residence and then apply to naturalise as British
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Tiddy1975
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tiddy1975 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:11 pm

The date of my certification of registration on 4/1/2016, I came in the UK with ILE visa on 13/06/2013, I have been lived in the UK since then until now, my mother gain British citizenship by naturalisation on 22/07/2013 after she remain ILR visa and lived in the UK for 3 years , she was born in Thailand to non British parents

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 pm

Your child is British by descent. You can apply for his passport with your naturalisation certificate and his birth certificate with your name on it.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Tiddy1975
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tiddy1975 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:04 pm

Thank you for all of your answers, I am going to apply British passport for my son straightaway :lol:

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:53 am

Do be aware that your child is British by descent, so if he ever has children of his own they won't have a claim to British citizenship unless the children are born in the UK. Also do store in a safe place his birth certificate and your certificate of naturalisation as they constitute proof to his entitlement to British citizenship, even many years down the line.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Tiddy1975
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tiddy1975 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:26 pm

Thank you very much :D