ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of Living in UK for 5 years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Referee Requirements

Post by sanp80r » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:44 pm

Hi,

I will be eligible to make my citizenship application by end of Feb'24 and have below queries on Referee requirements:

1. As per the referee declaration, the need to confirm "That, to the best of my knowledge, the details of the applicant given in this application are correct."

Does this mean, they need to go through the entire application and make sure it is correct at their end also or just testify to the fact that they know the applicant well for the last 3 years and identify the person in the pic in the 'Referees and Identity' template

2. Reg, the Referee with professional standing - I was going to ask my reporting manager who holds a managerial position in a well known Pharmaceutical limited company and heads up >100 employees. Will this come under the category of - manager or personnel officer of a limited company

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referee Requirements

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:51 pm

sanp80r wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:44 pm
Hi,

I will be eligible to make my citizenship application by end of Feb'24 and have below queries on Referee requirements:

1. As per the referee declaration, the need to confirm "That, to the best of my knowledge, the details of the applicant given in this application are correct."

Does this mean, they need to go through the entire application and make sure it is correct at their end also or just testify to the fact that they know the applicant well for the last 3 years and identify the person in the pic in the 'Referees and Identity' template

No - even if they wanted to go through all the details they wouldn't know all is correct. Clearly you should explain what you are applying for and in general the information you are providing. Referees should know you enough to trust your word. That's what I did with mine, and, we all being professionals, it wasn't an issue.

2. Reg, the Referee with professional standing - I was going to ask my reporting manager who holds a managerial position in a well known Pharmaceutical limited company and heads up >100 employees. Will this come under the category of - manager or personnel officer of a limited company
Does he have a professional qualification, like "chartered accountant"?
Page 24 ‘Acceptable professional persons’ means: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Post by sanp80r » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:57 pm

Thanks for your response.

1 - ok

2 - No, he doesn't have a professional qualification like a Chartered Accountant. However, he is a the Head of the department or Manager in the IT Department of the limited company. However, his name doesn't appear in the companies search like companies house.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:06 pm

sanp80r wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:57 pm
Thanks for your response.

1 - ok

2 - No, he doesn't have a professional qualification like a Chartered Accountant. However, he is a the Head of the department or Manager in the IT Department of the limited company. However, his name doesn't appear in the companies search like companies house.
Manager in a limited company perhaps? If you don't have anyone who fits the list perhaps go with that one.
If UKVI are not happy they can ask for another referee, it's not a reason to refuse the application. Though if you can find someone from the list upfront, that would be one worry less.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Proof of Living in UK for 5 years

Post by sanp80r » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 pm

Hi,

I am from India and currently on ILR for last 1 year and I am now eligible to apply for British Citizenship. The below guidance for non EEA Nationals has confused me.

"If you are a Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the relevant 3- or 5-year period.
If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.
Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK."

My questions:
1) Should I just scan my first/last pages of my old passport (from 2014-which is now expired) and include the page when it my first entry to the UK was stamped? Does it require all stamped pages?
2) Above guidance says I should NOT submit any bills or bank statements which is what I was planning to do - Council Tax & Bank statements. Or, is this statement about bank stmts/household bills not being suitable proof only applicable if I am not submitting my passport and stamped pages?

Thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Proof of Living in UK for 5 years

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 pm

Your passport got stamped every time you entered the country, that will be all the evidence you need. Upload both your passports, current and expired, scan all pages.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Post by sanp80r » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:08 pm

Thanks for your quick response.

I have another question regarding below section in the application - When do I provide the original passport - during document submission or during the biometric appointment? Do I need to provide originals for both old and new passport in this case?

Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:12 pm

sanp80r wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:08 pm

I have another question regarding below section in the application - When do I provide the original passport - during document submission or during the biometric appointment?
You provide your current passport only at the biometrics appointment, for ID purposes. Document submission is online only so no originals are required. And only passport(s) covering the residency period.
Do I need to provide originals for both old and new passport in this case?NO.

Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.

The wording is outdated!

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:52 am

sanp80r wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:08 pm

I have another question regarding below section in the application - When do I provide the original passport - during document submission or during the biometric appointment? Do I need to provide originals for both old and new passport in this case?

Providing your documents
As above... some outdated guidance if you're making application online.. all evidence is electronically submitted.

You will upload scans of your passport(s) to the UKVCAS online portal as evidence (identity and to prove being in UK during qualifying period/absences) after submitting the application. (Or you will pay to get UKVCAS to scan such evidence at biometrics appointment for you)

Otherwise you will only need original current passport as evidence of identity when you attend UKVCAS appointment. You should at no time be without your original documents during the process.

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Post by sanp80r » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:11 am

Thanks for your responses.