ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency Proofs - Room Rental Licence

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

citi12
Newly Registered
Ireland

Residency Proofs - Room Rental Licence

Post by citi12 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 am

Hello,

I still have a long way to go before applying for the citizenship. However, I am trying to collect type B proofs.

I recently got a room in a house through a letting agent and I am sharing the house with other tenants and no landlord living with us. The agreement mentions Room Rental Licence on the top and has my name, address and rental amount on it. The rent amount is again collected by cash. I do not get any receipts or acknowledgements. It does not mention RTB anywhere here.

I just wanted to know what paperwork I need to collect from my letting agent on a monthly basis or yearly basis?

Do I need monthly receipts? or a letter from the letting agent stating I am living there dated every year? or both?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Residency Proofs - Room Rental Licence

Post by Vadrar » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:27 am

First of all, good job on sorting this now.
Your agreement will suffice for this year’s type B.

How are utilities paid - are you listed on electric, gas or bins? If so, these will suffice for years 2 to 4.

If you can’t get listed on utilities I’d suggest you contact letting agent and ask about the RTB registration. You can also contact RTB directly to ask if you’ve been registered.

You are also entitled to ask for, and receive, receipts for rent payment. Even if you weren’t going for citizenship you should get receipts - otherwise how would you prove you don’t owe money if a dispute arose? You can get a rent receipt book from a newsagent or stationer and ask for a signature each time you pay if they dawdle on coming up with one. Or print off a free template from the internet.

For citizenship it will be RTB letters or utility bills. The rent receipts are really just for your own protection.

I’d also shift to electronic payment of rent so you have that as a record (again for your own security, not citizenship.)

citi12
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by citi12 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:07 pm

Hi Vadrar,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will try to get my name added on one of the bills. Although I may not be able to show proof of payment as the other tenant is already paying it. (But I think I had read in an earlier post that payment proof is not required, just name on bill is ok)

You say these would suffice for years 2 to 4. I'm sorry but I did not understand this part. Could you please let me know?

I will check about other details. The agreement is a room rental licence and no RTB. The rent can only be done through cash. But the agent had mentioned to me that they could give a letter stating that I have been living at the address for the duration of my tenancy. I hope this document is ok?

Awaiting you reply.

Thanks again. I really appreciate you advice.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:50 pm

You need a name on utility bill, not proof of payment. You need proof for 5 years. You can use lease for year 1, utility bills for years 2 to 4, making 5 years.

Rent receipts are better than letter from agent but not as good as utility bill with your name on it.

My understanding is that the rent a room scheme only legally exists when the landlord lives in the same house, but I may be wrong. The whole no RTB, cash only, no receipts smacks of an illegal lease situation. If you submit an agent’s letter rather than utility bill or RTB letter you’ll need to use an affidavit to explain why you aren’t supplying utility or RTB. and unless the room rental lease really doesn’t require RTB registration and isn’t a tax dodge there’s no guarantee it will be accepted. Because no RTB, claims of cash payment and no receipts is the same setup fraudulent applications claim- which is why they aren’t always accepted. I’m not suggesting you are fraudulent, but you don’t want to be presenting a case with hallmarks that raise the question.

Personally. I’d be checking the claims it doesn’t need to be registered with the RTB and insisting on rent receipts at the very least.

citi12
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by citi12 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:59 am

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Yes, what you are saying does make sense.

I will try to get my name on some utility bill so that I do not face any issues in the future. I will also try for the rent receipts.

Thanks again.