ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK national with 5 year withdrawal agreement card wants to move

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tebee
United Kingdom

UK national with 5 year withdrawal agreement card wants to move

Post by tebee » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm

I have a UK national friend who has 5 year withdrawal agreement card for Belgium, who would like to move to Netherlands to have more contact with her NL citizen minor children living there with their father. They have joint custody of the children, but as her job required her to move from place to place the father looked after them during term time and she took time off work to take them on holiday during the breaks.

However, she had a workplace accident and can no longer do her previous job. She wants to find a less demanding job, nearer her kids and spend more time with them as the father has been ill and is struggling somewhat.

However the father ( NL citizen and unmarried) is not supportive of this. They both lived together in NL before Brexit but decided to return to the UK, but the father changed his mind, returned to NL and demanded the kids came too.

What would be the best way for her to proceed to get a visa that would allow her to live and work in NL full time? I believe the portability of the WA cards that was promised never happened.
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: UK national with 5 year withdrawal agreement card wants to move

Post by Vadrar » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:58 am

The WA card is not portable.

Has your friend been legally resident in BE for 5+ years and obtained their long term residency card? If so they can use it to move to NL. https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/polic ... sidents_en

Otherwise she’d need to look into a visa based on her work, retirement, study or as parent of NL children.

tebee
United Kingdom

Re: UK national with 5 year withdrawal agreement card wants to move

Post by tebee » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:08 am

Less than 5 years in BE, but more than 5 years total NL+BE, unfortunately separated by a gap in the UK
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.