ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No news re:settled status and BRC expiring...

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gini852
United Kingdom

No news re:settled status and BRC expiring...

Post by gini852 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:33 pm

Hi, I'm still waiting on a decision on my switch from pre-settled to settled status (application submitted 4 months ago, weeks after I qualified for settled status). My case should be very straightforward as I'm married to an EU citizen and we live in the UK. My BRC expires in June this year so about 3 months away.

I'm worried that I still won't get a decision regarding switch to settled status by then, and I'll just have an expired BRC on my hands that I can't use for overseas trips/returning to the UK.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can be smart about my next steps? I've been told that I could renew my BRC but that process from date of application takes 8 weeks so I should start soon. But what happens if that process ends up taking longer than it should and I end up with an expired BRC (have overseas trips to visit family in late June).

I'm worried that there'll be trouble re-entering the country because of course by June I could have no renewed BRC and just an expired BRC?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips anyone may have.

gini852
United Kingdom

Re: No news re:settled status and BRC expiring...

Post by gini852 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:00 pm

To add, my worry is that if I apply for renewing my BRC now, I'm afraid it could mess up my presettled-to-settled application (because they may look at the BRC details I'd provided for it and see that it doesn't match the new BRC details that are the valid card since they only have the old BRC details as part of my application).

eubritish
United Kingdom

Post by eubritish » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 am

There is unfortunately no timeline promised to switch from Pre-Settled to Settled. One girl I know - an EU citizen - got hers the same day. Another couple - both EU nationals - had to wait for almost a year. Others, like my sister - a non EU national - received theirs anywhere from within 2 to 6 months.

Chasing the resolution center is also useless as they cannot give any info other than 'case worker will contact you'. My suggestion would be write to your MP for a push. Nothing is a promise but its worth a shot.

Its been 4 months you said so should hopefully be soon.

Good luck!

gini852
United Kingdom

Post by gini852 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:38 am

Thanks, that was helpful to know that there's a huge range for how long that process takes. My primary concern at the moment is related to whether or not I should try to renew my BRC right now in view of upcoming overseas trips. I'd tried starting the process but the online form doesn't even seem to account for people in my situation, which is ridiculous. They essentially don't seem to allow you to apply for a replacement BRC *until* your current one has expired. Yet the replacement BRC process can take several months so it's as if they're asking people (who are not native to the UK) to stop living and travelling, which is kind of essential if your family is likely abroad.

What did the people amongst those you know do when their process took around a year? Surely that would have gone right past their LLR date (which is 5 years from when LLR is issued). Did they simply not travel at all for 6 months?

eubritish
United Kingdom

Post by eubritish » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:09 pm

If its any consolation, the replacement BRCs are issued much sooner than 'upto 8 weeks' as the guidance says - based on what I have seen with my sister and others. My sister's was issued 2 weeks after the biometrics were taken.

In case of urgency, you might have to pay for the biometrics appointment - which is expensive, but the free appointments get booked very quick.

I didn't know you couldn't apply to renew your current BRC until it expires but once your Settled status comes through, you can apply for new BRC straight away. You do not have to wait for the current one to expire. Thats what we did for my sister.

Good luck!

BestPie
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BestPie » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

gini852 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:33 pm
Hi, I'm still waiting on a decision on my switch from pre-settled to settled status (application submitted 4 months ago, weeks after I qualified for settled status). My case should be very straightforward as I'm married to an EU citizen and we live in the UK. My BRC expires in June this year so about 3 months away.

I'm worried that I still won't get a decision regarding switch to settled status by then, and I'll just have an expired BRC on my hands that I can't use for overseas trips/returning to the UK.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can be smart about my next steps? I've been told that I could renew my BRC but that process from date of application takes 8 weeks so I should start soon. But what happens if that process ends up taking longer than it should and I end up with an expired BRC (have overseas trips to visit family in late June).

I'm worried that there'll be trouble re-entering the country because of course by June I could have no renewed BRC and just an expired BRC?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips anyone may have.
Have you heard back from them? What did u end up doing?

gini852
United Kingdom

Post by gini852 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:22 pm

BestPie wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am
Have you heard back from them? What did u end up doing?
I called the Settlement Scheme hotline and they said that I can travel and return to the UK without issues because the COA covers that scenario. I double checked the COA and indeed it basically says that you can travel in/out of country whilst the application is underway. I'd also called the airline I'm flying and they confirmed that the COA is sufficient for their boarding purposes so in short, I'll just travel as normal without worrying about BRC expiry.