ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unwanted dual nationality observation in new passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wonderberry

Unwanted dual nationality observation in new passport

Post by Wonderberry » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:32 am

Just received my new passport after naturalisation process. In special remarks it discloses my first nationality (Russian). I don’t want it disclosed like this.

I have reviewed Annex A, which says that dual nationality mark might be added for cases where it help with identification process and that otherwise nothing should be added. See an extract below:

6.13 The British passport will not routinely contain an observation of other passports held by a dual national unless by exception (see paragraph 6 above) it is in a different name. It is a matter for the passport applicant to raise at the point of application whether providing details of existing or previous overseas passports causes any particular concern.

So what do I do now? Shall I request a reissue somehow with a request not to add this remark? For reference, both me and my wife for this observation added, whereas our kids (both Russians too but born in the UK) don’t have this observation.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Unwanted dual nationality observation in new passport

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:05 pm

Wonderberry wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:32 am
Just received my new passport after naturalisation process. In special remarks it discloses my first nationality (Russian). I don’t want it disclosed like this.

I have reviewed Annex A, which says that dual nationality mark might be added for cases where it help with identification process and that otherwise nothing should be added. See an extract below:

6.13 The British passport will not routinely contain an observation of other passports held by a dual national unless by exception (see paragraph 6 above) it is in a different name. It is a matter for the passport applicant to raise at the point of application whether providing details of existing or previous overseas passports causes any particular concern.

So what do I do now? Shall I request a reissue somehow with a request not to add this remark? For reference, both me and my wife for this observation added, whereas our kids (both Russians too but born in the UK) don’t have this observation.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:19 pm

Wonderberry wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:32 am
unless by exception (see paragraph 6 above) it is in a different name.
Is your Russian passport in a different name? Have you, for instance, taken out the patronymic from the name in the British passport?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:49 pm

My assumption is that you have a patronymic that is on Russian passport, but not on British. See post2105664.html#p2105664
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Wonderberry

Post by Wonderberry » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:52 pm

Everyone is raising correct observation about patronymic name that we have indeed taken out. But so did I and both my kids. Is it then a case of making a new application and somehow requesting for special remarks to be removed? Having just gone through the process there wasn’t a place to include any special remarks however we could have included a letter in the supporting documents envelope.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:03 pm

Along with the request to remove the observation, I think you may have to state your reasons for the change. What arguments would you make for that request?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Locke
Newly Registered

Post by Locke » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 pm

Wonderberry wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:52 pm
Everyone is raising correct observation about patronymic name that we have indeed taken out. But so did I and both my kids. Is it then a case of making a new application and somehow requesting for special remarks to be removed? Having just gone through the process there wasn’t a place to include any special remarks however we could have included a letter in the supporting documents envelope.
Hi Wonderberry,

Were you able to have the patronymic name and other nationality passport observation removed from your family's British passports?

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 pm

The only way to remove this observation is to renounce your Russian citizenship and send a translated copy of the certificate from the Embassy which proves you have renounced it.