ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR/British Citizenship for spouse

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dkmca80

ILR/British Citizenship for spouse

Post by dkmca80 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi I am a British national since 2017 routed from India.
I married last year and my wife joined me here in Sep 2023 on dependent visa for 33 months given initially. she has passed A2 level English test from India.
I have couple of question below.
1. Can she have British passport directly through naturalization if yes after how many years?
2.Does she need another visa extension? can she use the same A2 certificate from India for English requirement?

meself2
Ireland

Re: ILR/British Citizenship for spouse

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm

1) No. She needs ILR (for which she needs a B1 English test and LITUK passed, plus 60 months on spouse route).
2) One more extension (A2 will do), then ILR (for which B1 is needed)
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

dkmca80

Post by dkmca80 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 am

Thanks for the reply. I have seen on UKBA website that British Citizen can get ILR in 3 years? whats that then? any idea?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:03 am

dkmca80 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 am
Thanks for the reply. I have seen on UKBA website that British Citizen can get ILR in 3 years? whats that then? any idea?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse
That is citizenship, not ILR; you shouldn't confuse these two.

British spouses can get citizenship in 3 years, but you need ILR before applying for citizenship, which will take 5 years to obtain via spouse route.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 am

The wording on the website isn't clear enough.
Spouse needs 5 years to gain ILR.
Once on ILR she could apply immediately as spouse of BC for which she has to prove 3 years of residency.
Common misunderstanding.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.