ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILE as dependent child now adult and want to apply for Citizenship independently

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

ILE as dependent child now adult and want to apply for Citizenship independently

Post by xavieryves » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:41 pm

Hi all. I'm helping a 22 year old that came to the UK as a dependent child with Indefinite Leave to Enter. There were problems with the relationship resulting in them moving to someone else's care and still having this visa as an adult (The ILE is a vignette valid from 2012-2014 I'm guessing due to being a child as I would have thought by definition the Visa was Indefinite therefore non expiring).

My question is can they apply for Citizenship independently as an adult based off of this visa? They were born in the UK but moved elsewhere at 1 year old and spent more than 10 years abroad before returning.
Will there be issues with the the Home Office? They have never had any legal issues and have continually lived in the UK for 11 years.

Appreciate responses in advance.

vinny

Re: ILE as dependent child now adult and want to apply for Citizenship independently

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:56 pm

Yes. A 22 year old adult may apply for Naturalisation independently.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Re: ILE as dependent child now adult and want to apply for Citizenship independently

Post by xavieryves » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:15 pm

Thank you Vinny for your swift response.
I'm aware that a 22 year old is an adult and can apply for Citizenship independently, that wasn't my query.

My question was specifically for the circumstances outlined above where the now adult has an expired Indefinite Leave to Enter as a dependent child under 18. This is the only visa they've ever had and still has. It was valid from 2012 - 2014, will that still be acceptable to Home Office as grounds for Citizenship application?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:47 pm

As I understand it ILE (applied for outside the UK) is equivalent to ILR (normally applied for inside the UK).
As you pointed out, it's not really a visa that expires, which is correct ILR/ILE is "indefinite"
So on the face of it, and as already advised, can apply for naturalisation without issues.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:04 am

Thank you both, I understand now.