ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Skilled Woker Visa - Start of Employment Date

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mapleuk1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Skilled Woker Visa - Start of Employment Date

Post by mapleuk1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:13 pm

Hi there,

I am switching the employer after being made redundant.

To avoid lengthy unemployment, May i know if i can start the new skilled work job immediately after receiving the Decesion Letter from Home office OR should I have to wait for the BRP to arrive ?

I thought to start employment early based on the decision letter to avoid delay and I also have my ILR application due in next 5 months. So does it impact if i use decesion letter date as start of employment ?

appreciate your response

Regards,
mapleX

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Skilled Woker Visa - Start of Employment Date

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:40 pm

Technically you can not start before the start date given on the COS regardless of having the decision letter granting the visa.
The BRP is incidental and you might not even receive one because of the new digital system the Home Office is already introducing.
Your employer can start you before the start date on the COS - they just have to update SMS. So that is not a major issue.
The Sponsor has to do the online share code check on or before you start as long as you have access to your share code.
If you are to receive a BRP then you won’t be able to get a share code until you have the BRP
However your employer can start you pending receipt of your BRP

mapleuk1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mapleuk1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:03 pm

Thankyou for your response!

That sounds like a sensible approach especially changing employer but not having to wait for the BRP cards to arrive to start the employment.

mapleuk1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mapleuk1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:09 pm

Thankyou for your response!

That sounds like a sensible approach especially changing employer but not having to wait for the BRP cards to arrive to start the employment.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:46 pm

If you want to start sooner to avoid any "gap" between jobs and the possible implication of this on a future ILR application, rest assured that these gaps have no impact on these applications.

mapleuk1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mapleuk1 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:59 am

Hi

I am looking for some expert advise here.

1. My 1st employer who extended offer has rushed and got my COS even before i gave a final consent.
2. My 2nd employer whom i really like and whose joining is after 4 weeks are now pushing for me to accept thier offer and they will file COS by today.

I am a bit confused especially on how the cancellation or withdrawal of COS which is already filed by 1st employment impact on ILR if i choose to go with 2nd employer and wairt another 4 weeks to start employment. This also implies i will not have P60 as I will not be employed on April 5th.

Any advise is greatly appreciated and help me to decide what is best for ILR.

Thanks

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 pm

The decision of choosing employer 1 or 2 is down to you.

A CoS is used to apply for a SW visa, once you use it is no longer valid. Previous CoS cancellations or withdrawals from past employers or prospective employers have no impact on ILR. There is also no requirement to be employed at the end or the beginning of the fiscal year. You seem to be overthinking this.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 pm

Has your first employer assigned the COS - if so the second employer can’t issue a COs until the first employer withdraws their COS or the COS expires after 90 days.

mapleuk1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mapleuk1 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:30 pm

To avoid complication and as well to ease the upcoming ILR application without any queries, I submitted my SKW visa application today using COS from Employer 1.

Hope the decision works out in my favour and help in the long run. Thanks you and Appreciate all your assistance.

ckaine
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ckaine » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:58 pm

Hi everyone.

Please, can an international student who completed his masters degree course but unfortunately was awarded a Postgraduate Certificate instead of Msc be eligible for skilled worker visa?
A kind response would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:53 am

Simple answer - yes

MylaHughes
- thin ice -
Mood:
United States of America

Post by MylaHughes » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm

You can usually start working immediately after receiving your decision letter, but there are a few factors to consider. First, it is important to ensure that the decision letter confirms your status and permission to work in the country. Secondly, if you have an application for permanent residence (PR), this may affect your status and rights to work.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 pm

MylaHughes wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm
You can usually start working immediately after receiving your decision letter, but there are a few factors to consider. First, it is important to ensure that the decision letter confirms your status and permission to work in the country. Secondly, if you have an application for permanent residence (PR), this may affect your status and rights to work.
A decision letter would always state the decision!
OP isn't anywhere near to applying for ILR .... this is just stating the obvious.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.