ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IRP/Stamp 4 for dependent (Children <12 years) of Naturalized Citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GTO
Newly Registered
Ireland

IRP/Stamp 4 for dependent (Children <12 years) of Naturalized Citizen

Post by GTO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:20 am

I am a Naturalized citizen and waiting for my Irish passport. I have 2 children aged <12 and their naturalization application is in process. While applying for a schengen visa, i read that children with an IRP card or Stamp 4 in their passport are exempted from a visa when they accompany an Irish citizen.

I have reached out to immigration officer requesting if my children can get a stamp 4 but haven't received a response. Any one here got IRP or Stamp 4 for their children < 16 years? Many thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Re: IRP/Stamp 4 for dependent (Children <12 years) of Naturalized Citizen

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 pm

GTO wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:20 am
i read that children with an IRP card or Stamp 4 in their passport are exempted from a visa when they accompany an Irish citizen.
Where did you read this?

You might be confusing Stamp 4 and Stamp 4EUFam (which you cannot get). Stamp 4EUFam holders do get IRPs even if theyre kids.

They can apply for a visa as family member of EU citizen (so eg you can request appointment from French embassy by email and less documents are required), but visa is still needed.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 pm
GTO wrote:
i read that children with an IRP card or Stamp 4 in their passport are exempted from a visa when they accompany an Irish citizen.
Where did you read this?

You might be confusing Stamp 4 and Stamp 4EUFam (which you cannot get). Stamp 4EUFam holders do get IRPs even if theyre kids.

They can apply for a visa as family member of EU citizen (so eg you can request appointment from French embassy by email and less documents are required), but visa is still needed.

Stamp4EUFam holders don’t need Schengen visas when travelling with or to their EU family member (except to EU member’s home country) anymore:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... e-card-yes

Though as you say, this doesn’t apply to OP, but just as an informational tidbit. It also applies to family members of Withdrawal Agreement British.

Applic83
Ireland

Post by Applic83 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 pm

GTO wrote:
I am a Naturalized citizen and waiting for my Irish passport. I have 2 children aged <12 and their naturalization application is in process. While applying for a schengen visa, i read that children with an IRP card or Stamp 4 in their passport are exempted from a visa when they accompany an Irish citizen.

I have reached out to immigration officer requesting if my children can get a stamp 4 but haven't received a response. Any one here got IRP or Stamp 4 for their children < 16 years? Many thanks.
First of all, the info that Stamp4 holders don't need visa when accompanying an Irish citizen is incorrect. I'm a citizen now, but I used to hold stamp4 and IRP. I couldn't travel with my Irish husband to schingen area without obtaining a visa!
Stamp4EUFAM is what you mean maybe. But spouse/family of Irish citizen don't qualify for that either! It's spouses of other EU citizens living in Ireland who qualify for that.
For the other part of your question, Registration with immigration starts at 16. So no IRP/stamp for a minor under 16.

kzz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kzz » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 pm
meself2 wrote:
GTO wrote:
Where did you read this?

Stamp4EUFam holders don’t need Schengen visas when travelling with or to their EU family member (except to EU member’s home country) anymore:

The link says "With this residence card (or permanent residence card) they can travel visa-free to all EU countries (including the country of your nationality) as well as to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, also without being accompanied by you. This applies regardless of which EU country issued their residence card and the country they are visiting."

So I think an Irish Stamp4EUFam holder can travel to their EU family member's home country (if it's in Schengen) without a Schengen visa.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:47 pm

kzz wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 pm
meself2 wrote:
GTO wrote:
Where did you read this?

The link says "With this residence card (or permanent residence card) they can travel visa-free to all EU countries (including the country of your nationality) as well as to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, also without being accompanied by you. This applies regardless of which EU country issued their residence card and the country they are visiting."

So I think an Irish Stamp4EUFam holder can travel to their EU family member's home country (if it's in Schengen) without a Schengen visa.
Domestic law always overrides EU rights in the home
Country of the EU member. That’s true for any EU immigration derived rights, including this one. We’ve also had specific legal advice on this new benefit via the volunteer centre and they iterated that (doesn’t apply to home country) as well as the family member needs to be travelling with EU member or can prove they are travelling to them .