ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR date

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lainybug
United Kingdom

ILR date

Post by lainybug » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:01 pm

Just a quick question please...

Is the time spent waiting for ILR approval considered to be "free from immigration control"? I'm assuming not.

For e.g. we applied for ILR in October last year. It has now been approved after 5 months, so the BRP is dated March. I assume that we will now need to wait until March next year before applying for citizenship, rather than being able to apply from October?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR date

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 pm

Is the time spent waiting for ILR approval considered to be "free from immigration control"? I'm assuming not.
No. Time waiting only extends the visa conditions you were on before applying for ilr.
For e.g. we applied for ILR in October last year. It has now been approved after 5 months, so the BRP is dated March. I assume that we will now need to wait until March next year before applying for citizenship, rather than being able to apply from October?
Correct. You only have ilr and are free from immigration time restrictions from the date ilr was granted.

If you are not married to a british citizen, then yes you have to wait the full 12 months on ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lainybug
United Kingdom

Post by lainybug » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:33 pm

Thank you for the fast reply. That was what I suspected. Oh well...more time to save up!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm

lainybug wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:01 pm
Just a quick question please...

Thanks
Not clear from the question or previous.
As CR001 stated above, if married to a British Citizen you can apply for naturalisation immediately.

lainybug
United Kingdom

Post by lainybug » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:43 pm

Thank you. No, she is not married to a British citizen (she received her ILR via Ancestry visa), so will have to wait 12 months. Not in any rush - I just wanted to be sure. Thanks :)