ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after submitting citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Travel after submitting citizenship application

Post by sanp80r » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 pm

Hi,

I have submitted by citizenship application and gave biometrics on 11th Mar 2024. Now I have a need to travel to India in May 2024 for 2 weeks.

What should I do if I get an approval decision during or right before my planned travel? At what point do I have to return my BRP and how many days after the decision can I do that?

Thanks

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Re: Travel after submitting citizenship application

Post by PM74Juve » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:18 am

sanp80r wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 pm
Hi,

I have submitted by citizenship application and gave biometrics on 11th Mar 2024. Now I have a need to travel to India in May 2024 for 2 weeks.

What should I do if I get an approval decision during or right before my planned travel? At what point do I have to return my BRP and how many days after the decision can I do that?

Thanks
The only issue you potentially have is attendance at the citizenship ceremony which once approved you'll get 3 months to book and attend with the local authority you selected. As you're only away for 2 weeks you should not have a problem arranging and attending a ceremony even if approval comes while you are away. You should return your BRP after the ceremony.

Note you are not a British citizen until you receive your certificate at the ceremony.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:27 am

sanp80r wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 pm
Hi,

Thanks
You've applied very recently, so it is likely your approval will come through after you are back already. Should it come before, you will need to book and attend the ceremony in order to become British. Plenty of time and opportunity to plan around a short trip.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

sanp80r
Newly Registered
India

Post by sanp80r » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:10 am

Thanks for your responses.