ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Citizenhip (British and Sri Lanka)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

peeta
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Dual Citizenhip (British and Sri Lanka)

Post by peeta » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:45 am

Hi,

I am Sri Lankan by birth and after moving to UK I had become a British citizen in 2016.

I think, as per Sri Lankan law, if one of their citizen becomes citizen of a foreign country, they automatically renounce Sri Lankan citizenship.

I know Sri Lanka also supports dual citizenship and so does UK, but applying for citizenship in SL might be a nightmare.

Have anyone else been in this scenario and would it be easier to renew my old Sri Lankan passport instead?

is that even allowed?

if so, when I enter SL, I can use Sri Lankan passport and when I exit use British. will that be possible?

Thanks for reading.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Dual Citizenhip (British and Sri Lanka)

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:10 pm

Not an expert on SL laws,just a couple of queries on your post....
peeta wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:45 am
Hi,

I am Sri Lankan by birth and after moving to UK I had become a British citizen in 2016.

I think, as per Sri Lankan law, if one of their citizen becomes citizen of a foreign country, they automatically renounce Sri Lankan citizenship.

I know Sri Lanka also supports dual citizenship and so does UK, but applying for citizenship in SL might be a nightmare. You are British already so what are you applying for, or who is applying??

Have anyone else been in this scenario and would it be easier to renew my old Sri Lankan passport instead?

is that even allowed?

if so, when I enter SL, I can use Sri Lankan passport and when I exit use British. will that be possible?
Has your SL citizenship been removed? If not then SL passport should be suffiecient for entry. BP on exit is ideal as you don't need a visa for the UK. I use two passports regularly, but not to SL.

Thanks for reading.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

peeta
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by peeta » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:10 pm

answers to your questions:

want to apply for SL citizenship as by virtue of getting British citizenship my Sri Lankan citizenship would have ceased.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:13 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.