ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I need to renew my visa before file for ILR?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kman12
Mood:
India

Will I need to renew my visa before file for ILR?

Post by Kman12 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for the question at this early stage; but wanted to clear my mind as was a little confused.

I was on a skill worker dependent visa (as my wife was the main applicant on a skill worker visa) till 22nd March 2024.
Recently I changed my visa to a skilled worker visa; which reset the clock for ILR.

I applied for a Tier-2 skill worker visa on 15th December 2023; and after 14 weeks of waiting I received my visa on 22nd March 2024.

My COS start date and end dates:
Start Date: 1st Feb 2024
End Date: 31st January 2029
(total time: 5 years including the end date)

on view and prove (share code) is shows now;
Valid from 27 February 2024
Valid until 14 February 2029
(total time: 4 years, 11 months, 19 days including the end date)

However, my visa was approved on 22nd March 2024 and as per the decision email; it permits me to stay in the UK as a Skilled Worker until 14 Feb 2029.
Visa approved on 22 March 2024
Valid until 14 February 2029
(total time: 4 years, 10 months, 24 days including the end date)

I heard that; after 5 years of the qualifying period on SWV; one can apply for ILR.
In my case, it would be from the date of approval to 5 years which means 22nd March 2029; is my understanding correct?

if so, do I need to submit another application for a skilled worker visa in the future to fulfill the qualifying time or not?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Will I need to renew my visa before file for ILR?

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:39 pm

You can apply for ILR 28 days before your qualifying date of five years. So in your case that would be 22nd February 2029.
It is a long way away but if all things remain as it is presently then you would have to apply for another SWV to get you to the application date BUT there is a method to switch to vary to ILR after 22nd Feb 2029.
It is so far away it is more than likely by the time it comes to ILR the entire system may have changed.