ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adult dependent relative visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rameezb
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Adult dependent relative visa

Post by Rameezb » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:43 pm

Hi,

My father has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroendochrine cancer. One of the tumors is impacting his sciatic nerve and therefore he cant move or put his weight on his left leg. As a result he is bed-ridden. He can only walk with the help of a walker stand and very short distances. He cannot sit for more than 30 to 45 minutes straight. The only other family we have in the city in Pakistan is my inlaws and my maternal uncle. They all have their own commitments and cannot care for my father for more than short periods. They also live a considerable distance away from our home therefore unable to attend daily. My mother passed away in 2021. My only other sibling, my sister, lives in the US as a US citizen.

I am not sure what documents can be provided to show care isnt available?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Adult dependent relative visa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:56 pm

I am not sure what documents can be provided to show care isnt available?
A paid carer in Pakistan would cost minimal compared to the UK. This will be the most difficult obstacle you face because it is a well known fact that care is cheap/affordable in Pakistan.

Why can't your father go to the US where chain migration is possible?

I would suggest you read the whole topic linked below to understand how these ADR applications are heavily scrutinised, particularly from sub-continent countries.

immigration-for-family-members/adult-de ... 87771.html

There have been very few successes for this visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Rameezb
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Rameezb » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:29 pm

We have considered immigration to US but the process takes a lot longer and his treatment needs to start asap. Furthermore, the impact of treatment (chemotherapy) may mean that he is unable to travel the more his treatment goes on since many patients dont respond well to chemotherapy. Also the aggressive nature of his cancer means his condition will worsen either way. Timelines wise UK application seems the best choice. Also, in Pakistani culture, parents put their weight behind being cared by sons instead of daughters and their families. It must be a consideration.

Regarding paid carer it might be cheap but availability has been a challenge thus far. It cannot be right that we are forced to choose between leaving our father to the mercy of carers who are complete strangers and ensuring a decent family life for my children in the UK (in case I, who has lived half his life in the UK, is forced to emigrate to Pakistan to care for my dad)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:11 pm

You could perhaps, make a case that your father's medical treatment in the USA would be unaffordable. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:17 am

Emotions and cultural norms are not part of the legal process. The Home Office view on ADP is very well set out and there is a near nil chance of your father gaining entry to the U.K.

I have no idea where you get the process for entry to the U.K. is quicker than the US. Given the U.K. does not allow chain immigration at all and the US does I think you need consider the US as your only viable option.

As for affordable treatment - given the NHS would charge 150% of cost, there will be significant costs for treatment in the U.K. too

Rameezb
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Rameezb » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:57 pm

I have been able to get some quotations today for home care in Pakistan.

24 hour nursing care = PKR 180,000 (cheapest with highest quote touching 270,000). Extra coststo accompany to hospital etc.
Driver for visits to hospital etc PKR 30,000
Maid = PKR 30,000
Treatment costs = 50,000 chemo plus extra costs for diagnostics.
Usual monthly expense (as was before illness) = PKR 130,000

The costs total to almost £1200 per month. I appreciate monthly care costs in the UK are much higher. However, myself and wife can provide required care at our place for free. We might have to hire someone to provide cover occassionally. I am assuming in this case we will have to provide details of how exactly the care will be provided in the UK and how it can be cheaper (if my wife and I are able to do the majority of it). Is my understanding correct?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:10 pm

The only way you will know if that approach will work is if you try it.

But, keep in mind the following
(a) According to Home Office stats, ~6% applications are successful on first attempt, with a further 6% after expensive appeals. In the past few years, the number of ADR visas issued has been in single digits per annum going down to zero in some years.
(b) Obviously, there is no refund of fees in case of a failed application.
(c) A failed application will also mean an almost certain bar for any future visit visa applications. So your father won't be able to attend any family functions in the UK. No getting to meet grandchildren in the UK, etc.

Work all these into your plans.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:49 pm

If you are sucessful please note the NHS will be at nil cost. Apologies for that misleading information.

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

hi,
I'm sorry to be the bearer of more pessimistic view on this.
I have applied for my late mother for ADR in September 2022.
she had chronic schizophrenia, a very severe case, well documented by 20 years worth of doctors appointments and continuous assessment. I'll tell you now what I had to provide, to prove I'm the only possible caretaker of her, and how long it took them to reject it, and then appeal it and succeed, but it the granting of the visa happened while she was in ICU and she passed away 45 days later. I'm saying this to say: in your father's case, unfortunately for all parties involved, I don't see them giving it to him. sorry, but I've been in your shoes.

I provided:
- letters from EVERY care home in the country, saying upon examining her, with the severity and specificity of her mental illness, we can't look after her. every single care home in the country!! my mum for example wouldn't eat or drink unless one of her kids gave her the food, she was rather paranoid because of her schizophrenia.
- letters from my brother and sister abroad who basically said we can't or don't want to care for her or we can't.
- expansive letter from her current (At the time) psychiatrist
- expansive letter from her previous psychiatrist
- all her medical file from her original psychiatrist (who have passed away, but I tracked down his office manager)
- all her medical files translated to English. with selected doctor notes from their files across the years, to support claims of x y and z (the refusing food, the paranoia, etc...).
- letter from the pharmacist to say this woman never came on her own, always with one of her kids, she can't deal with prescreptios etc on her own.
- letters from her brothers and sisters, explaining why they can't look after her.
- letters from the neighbours attesting to how she is.
- letter from my wife and son expressing willingness to have mum over.
- detailed care plan from my wife and I (tedious document to prepare, of how you plan, hour by hour, look after this person shall they grant ADR visa).
- letter from wife and son expressing angst about me being away for so long

these are top of my head, there is much more.

what happened:
- I had to leave back in May 2022, preparing the application took 3 months, with the help of a solicitor in the UK (expensive, btw).
- applied Sep 2022.
- Rejection December 2023.
- Appeal (First phase, before tribunal) started on Jan 2023.
- we were asked to provide our appeal bundle in May 2023.
- Home Office revised their decision in July 2023, but she'd been in ICU by then, and passed away in August.

here is the big news for you, their rejection was based on BS reasons. all of the reasons they listed had already been addressed in my very comprehensive application and cover letter nd letters by everyone. they still rejected nonetheless.
They said "oh well, she's being seen by Dr so and so, therefore, she's gettting the help she needs, so, no need to bring her over". to which I replied in the appeal that I've exaplained, the dr explained, everyone explained, that she can't do anything on her own, etc..
they said "you've been in the UK since 2017, so you have no connection with her. again, I reminded them that I provided proof that I kept in touch, I was paying her rent etc...

I addressed every reason with proof that I HAVE ALREADY provided, and with additional letter from her psychiatrist, and only then, they approved.

mate, this visa is near impossible to obtain, and even like in our case, when we actually showed that IT MUST be me and there is no other way now except bringing her over, they still refused it, and we had to do an appeal.

in total, I spent a year and a half abroad because of this. Kept my work luckily in the UK and all, but it was hell. to say the least.

from my journey and familiarity with what you'll need to prove AND how they deal with these applications, I can't see any way they'd say yes of course, your dad needs to come.

They'll simply say: there are cancer doctors there, they can look after him.
You'll have to get proof that the country is't equipped, or that you can't get carers.
again I'm sorry to be negative but it's A LOT of money and effort and potentially like me spending all this time away from your family till they get back to you.

good luck if you decide to proceed but think properly and have a look at the guidance and read it and see ALL the things you'll need to prove.