ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

B1/B2 visa vs DV1

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AntonI
Newly Registered

B1/B2 visa vs DV1

Post by AntonI » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm

I have a tricky question.

Situation:
1. I have a 10 year multipass B1/B2 visa to enter US (and I have been in US number of times) - visa valid from 2005 till 2015
2. Recently I won green card and got a DV1 visa which is in my second passport (additional official passport same country (Estonia) etc)
3. I got to US in October applied for green card and then left back home due to some family reasons, my green card application is now in processing.

So question is -
did my DV1 visa could cancel somehow my B1/B2 visa? I'm planning to go to US now using my B1/B2 visa - how can I check if it's still valid?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Do you want to keep your U.S. resident status? If so, why would you want to present yourself as a nonimmigrant?

AntonI
Newly Registered

to JAJ

Post by AntonI » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Sure, I want to keep my residential status, but how else I can enter US then?

All that I have now:
- one EU passport with active B1/B2 visa (actually I'm not sure how "active" it is - since nobody canceled it when I were getting DV1 visa in to another passport, but may be it's canceled somewhere in "database")
- another EU passport with DV1 visa which I already "used" to enter US and start my "obtaining Green Card" process

I.e. - I don't have Green Card yet (only SSN number and card)

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: to JAJ

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 pm

When you entered on your DV visa, they stamped that page of your passport. Until you get your actual green card that stamp is effectively your green card. If you enter on your B visa you may risk losing your permanent resident status.

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 pm

B1/B2 gets cancelled automatically when you receive an immigrant visa. Do not use that passport. You have 1 year to immigrate to the US as DV1 holder from the time you took your green card "activation" trip