ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American marrying Irish

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Moving1993
Newly Registered
United States of America

American marrying Irish

Post by Moving1993 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 pm

My partner and I are getting married in Ireland this August. He is an Irish citizen, i am American. He does not have permission to enter the United States. We plan to stay together in Ireland after the ceremony.

I was told in our marriage notification appointment that I would need to apply for a PPS number in order to reside in Ireland. I am doing the application online and it asks for my address-- I am in the United States at the moment but it seems to ask for an Irish address-- a county+EIR code. Is it possible to apply from the United States or should i use an Irish address?

Also, realistic is it to expect to stay in Ireland after our ceremony? Is it right that i apply for a stamp 4 at a guarda station? Can anyone outline what that process would be like?

Thank you all so much! :D :D :D

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: American marrying Irish

Post by Vadrar » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:41 am

Full instructions on all immigration questions from reputable/official sources here:

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/coming- ... n-ireland/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/r ... t-married/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/r ... ea-spouse/

You don’t need a PPS to enter Ireland (maybe it’s needed for marriage?? Don’t know.) Most people don’t/can’t apply before arriving. You’ll need a reason to be issued one (exchanging drivers licence, employment contract etc), you can’t be issued with one for no reason. It makes life easier but is not compulsory to have one unless you eg work etc.

You are not a visa required national, but you’ll need to act on instructions in links above once you are married and a before you’ve been in the state for 90 days.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:43 am

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:00 pm

I can say that when I (as a US citizen) moved to Ireland as the spouse of an Irish citizen I didn't apply for my public service card until I had arrived in Ireland. Part of the process of applying for a PSC requires an in person meeting, unless things have changed since I got mine. I applied for mine after I got my permission to remain in Ireland. You cannot apply for permission to remain until you are in Ireland, and how you do it will depend on where you are living. The result will be that you will be issued an IRP (Irish Residence Permit) card.

While it can be important to have a PSC once you are living in Ireland you don't need one to be able to come here. I had been married to my wife for more than 10 years when we moved, though I know a couple that got married right before/as the non-Irish partner moved to Ireland. To make sure they had all the bases covered they got married in the US, and then had another ceremony here in Ireland after she got here. Which really was overkill. :)

Moving1993
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Moving1993 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:29 am

Agh, shame we can't marry in the states!

Did ye have to apply for the "Spouse/Civil Partner of Irish National Scheme" or what do you mean by applying for permission to remain in Ireland? I heard something about a stamp4 but when i enter Ireland i will only be his fiance, we will not yet be married :cry:

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 am

Moving1993 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:29 am
Agh, shame we can't marry in the states!

Did ye have to apply for the "Spouse/Civil Partner of Irish National Scheme" or what do you mean by applying for permission to remain in Ireland? I heard something about a stamp4 but when i enter Ireland i will only be his fiance, we will not yet be married :cry:
As a US citizen you can come to Ireland for up to 3 months just with your US passport. If you want to stay longer than that you have to apply for permission to remain before that 3 months is up. One basis that you can apply on is being married to an Irish citizen, which is the "Spouse/Civil Partner of Irish National Scheme" you mention.

So basically you need to come to Ireland on your US passport, get married to your fiance, and then apply to remain under the Spouse/Civil Partner of Irish National Scheme. That process will involve you both meeting with a immigration officer. The whole process is covered:

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... al-scheme/

nycire
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nycire » Tue May 07, 2024 11:48 am

OP: It''s awesome that you want to come to live in Ireland. I was in the same situation last year. I came from NY state. My bf can't come to US for a few yrs. But his is not a crime of moral turpitude as such.

Just a few Qs and I can speak to your case further.

Have you been employed? (It will help to have employment records from US. I was a student so it was a bit tougher to get through.)
Do u have a record of travel to Ireland? (It can help at immigration, marriage and stamp application.)
Where in the US are you based btw? Some locations like Guam or Hawaii even seem to treated a bit differently in terms of documents required.
Will it be possible for your partner to travel to US in future? ie Do you think an attorney will help in time? I believe from my research time and remorse can help to resolve the ban.

Stamp 4 is given to US citizens here at the local immigration offices. Where do you plan on registering and living?
There shouldn't be a problem especially if neither of you are divorced. I didn't even need health insurance as a non-visa national but you might now. It's something to think about. But I might be able to advise you better with more info.

Moving1993
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Moving1993 » Thu May 30, 2024 9:33 am

My hero! i'm so happy to hear that :) thank you for your reply!

To answer to your questions:
I have been employed! I am working up until the week before my departure date.
I do have record of travel to Ireland, many entry stamps in my passport and i'm sure i can pull up itineraries in my email.
I am from California.
Our partners might actually have been in the same situation? He was barred for three years. We actually spoke to an attorney and they said that he should not have had any trouble entering when he attempted last. It was at the customs agent's will to allow him entry and he was denied.
I will register and live in Galway. I am currently planning to enter with no type of stay visa outside of my 90-day holiday stay but i do have our marriage registration documentation. I plan on telling customs on entry and i understand that i should apply for permission to stay once i arrive, is that correct?

I've heard about a stamp-4 as well as applying for a pps number once in Ireland. Can you give me any advice or an outline of the process if you're familiar? I'm sorry for the late reply, i do hope you read this! thanks again.