ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New ILR law + Life in UK Test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

decentguy_uk

New ILR law + Life in UK Test

Post by decentguy_uk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:45 am

Hi

I am currently on 5 year work permit and will be applying for ILR in October 2009

Three Questions:

1. I hear that new ILR law is coming out from Feb 2009 with 3 tier of citizenship.
I believed that I can apply for ILR in October 2009 and then in October 2011, I can apply for British Citizenship/Passport. Does this new ILR law change my expected timelines??

2. Myself and my wife will have to take Life in UK Test before we apply for ILR. How are test results valid for. e.g. If I take test 6 months before application, is it still valid ??

3. What is the best resource for Life in the UK ? Book? CD? Free download ?

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 am

1) The bill is being discussed in the Commons in January but it is not certain a) when it will be formalised, b) what changes (if any) are made to it, c) when it will start taking effect and d) who it will aplly to. Consequently, it is difficult to say whether it will affect your time-line. I think that we'll all have to wait and see. Incidentally, if you are eligible for ILR in October 2009, will you not be eligible for naturalisation in October 2010?

2) There isn't an official validity time-limit for the Life in the Uk test. They advise taking it as close to the time of application as possible, but I would have thought that a pass within 1 year of the date of application would be sufficient. Even if it is more than a year, as long as you retain your pass letter it shouldn't be a big issue (unless they then retrospectively change the rules).

3) The best resource if the official Life in the UK Book. You just need to memorise 4-5 chapters of the book and you should be fine. I'm never convinced about study guides and the such, but if it is how you learn best, then so be it. Just be aware that there are a lot of fraudulent studd out there so caveat emptor. Loads of websites provide some free sample questions also, which will be useful to try.

rizwan_ali

Re: New ILR law + Life in UK Test

Post by rizwan_ali » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 pm

decentguy_uk wrote:Hi

I am currently on 5 year work permit and will be applying for ILR in October 2009

Three Questions:

1. I hear that new ILR law is coming out from Feb 2009 with 3 tier of citizenship.
I believed that I can apply for ILR in October 2009 and then in October 2011, I can apply for British Citizenship/Passport. Does this new ILR law change my expected timelines??

2. Myself and my wife will have to take Life in UK Test before we apply for ILR. How are test results valid for. e.g. If I take test 6 months before application, is it still valid ??

3. What is the best resource for Life in the UK ? Book? CD? Free download ?
As far as your ILR is concern you will be eligible its clearly mentioned in the draft bill that new rules will be for newcomers only i do hope they will respect that statment once you will granted ILR that will automaticaly considerd permanant residence (accorning to chart of new bill) but now sure for naturilisation process will increase the time. in the new bill its clearly mentioned ILR=PERMANANT RESIDENCY which can be switch to British citizenship but didntmentioned the time. One thing is clear once you granted ILR you wont be go back for probation period residency ( which will be time limit).

Life in the UK test the best web link i have found ( which i tried for mysefl and passed my test within 3 minuts) is
http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1
hope you will get through best of luck

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi Rizwan!

Can I just ask where the draft bill states that the rule changes will only affect newcomers to the UK? When I last read it (a couple of months or so ago), I did not find any mention of this either way. I know there has been some conjecture in the media regarding the bill only applying to newcomers to the UK, but I wasn't aware that such a decision had already been made. I'd appreciate a reference if you have one!

Thanks

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:52 pm

drjabberwocky23 wrote:Hi Rizwan!

Can I just ask where the draft bill states that the rule changes will only affect newcomers to the UK? When I last read it (a couple of months or so ago), I did not find any mention of this either way. I know there has been some conjecture in the media regarding the bill only applying to newcomers to the UK, but I wasn't aware that such a decision had already been made. I'd appreciate a reference if you have one!

Thanks
the bill chart clearly says ILR=PR but its understanable the person who have their ILR 12 or 10 years ago or living there house how the can be go back or to be considered with new immigration rules ofcoures these rules will be for newcomers and the person already in the uk will be treated with the current rules. the way u worried it means the person will get their British citizenship will go back and have to follow the rules to become citizen NO the rules will be for newcomers once it will passed from parliment and than the house of lords.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:01 pm

rizwan_ali wrote: the bill chart clearly says ILR=PR but its understanable the person who have their ILR 12 or 10 years ago or living there house how the can be go back or to be considered with new immigration rules ofcoures these rules will be for newcomers and the person already in the uk will be treated with the current rules. the way u worried it means the person will get their British citizenship will go back and have to follow the rules to become citizen NO the rules will be for newcomers once it will passed from parliment and than the house of lords.
It is likely that the Bill will affect those who do not yet have ILR. But it impossible to know until you see the text of the Bill, Act and Regulations.

For now, you are just speculating.

The "bill chart" is irrelevant. Don't assume they even understand what they are doing.

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:47 pm

JAJ wrote:
rizwan_ali wrote: quote]

It is likely that the Bill will affect those who do not yet have ILR. But it impossible to know until you see the text of the Bill, Act and Regulations.

For now, you are just speculating.

The "bill chart" is irrelevant. Don't assume they even understand what they are doing.
i agreed with you but i m just saying what i got from the chart bill draft but at end home office and parliment will deciede what will happend as far as ILR is concern it will be treated as Permanant residence.

tech
Member of Standing

New bill effective date

Post by tech » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:44 pm

The bia site mentions that new bill will come into effect in late 2009 which means it likely to come to effect in sep/october timeframe unleess they fast track the bill. It will affect any body without ILR. The argument about new comers is meaningless because there is no point in passing the law which only be effective from Sep 2013.

Look at the link below (which is part of the bill)
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ishmothers

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:24 am

Thanks for info guys...

Surely if I apply for ILR in October 2009, I will be getting my British Passport in October 2011?

One of the post here mentions that I can apply in October 2010 ?

Also on top of Life in UK test, do I need to prove my English qualification too by taking one extra test ??

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:10 am

Surely if I apply for ILR in October 2009, I will be getting my British Passport in October 2011?

One of the post here mentions that I can apply in October 2010 ?

Also on top of Life in UK test, do I need to prove my English qualification too by taking one extra test ??
As per the prevailing rules, you can apply for citizenship after 1 year from gretting ILR.

There is no need to take any extra test apart from Life in the UK test for proving your English language skills.